Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the 9th chevron turned out to be either time travel or alternate realities I'd switch off my television.

We all know that (for the most part) the Ancients were anti-time travel. And we've all read the spoilers for Stargate Universe..

You have put a lot of thinking into it and well done. But i hate to think of how bad a series of Stargate would be if it dealt with time travel every episode.

Comment

Why do we require more theories when we have been told what it does?
      Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Sorry just noticed a mistake in my figures, should be 8 million not 10
        Hmm, the 9th Chevron

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphias View Post
          Why do we require more theories when we have been told what it does?
          Theories are good, it keeps the blood flowing to the brain
          Hmm, the 9th Chevron

Comment

Here's the fundamental flaw in your idea: You have to dial the 8th chevron before you can dial the 9th.
            If dialing the 9th chevron can send you through time, then you'll have to travel back or forward in time on your way to another galaxy.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by carbonoid View Post
              There is a few different theory's as to what the 9th Chevron does
              And most are bad ideas for simple reasons.

but I think it would ether be used to connect to more gates...
              Bingo.

...or travel back in time
              As I pointed out in other threads, you have to input a symbol for the 8th chevron before you can attempt to enter a 9th. In other words, no matter what the 9th chevron does, you're going to be traveling to another galaxy.

Then there's the fact that it's called a StarGate. There's no reason to assume that once you get to a certain chevron that the function of the device completely changes.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

C'mon man why did you create another thread on this, there is no need.
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=19184

Comment

Read this http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/0...e_univer.shtml this SG Universe is a working development meaning it might never come to anything.

Don't understand why so many people are so set on this ship business, its a dead end as far as I can see, what are they going to do when they get on this ship? Stare at the walls? Scribble "Teal'c was here 2009" on the walls? or just turn around go back through the stargate?
                  Concidering they will get like a million new stargate adresses i think they will find themselves rather busy for a while. And since it's in new galaxies where there shouldnt be to many human looking aliens on the planets that they find.
                  Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                  Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

A 7 symbol address takes you to star systems in a galaxy.
                    An 8 symbol address takes you to galaxies within a group.
                    A 9 symbol address takes you to groups within a cluster.

The ship in SGU will be outside our local group of galaxies which is why they'll have to use the 9th chevron to get there.

It took approximately 10 times normal power to dial the Asgard galaxy in The Fifth Race, so dialing another galactic group will probably be another order of magnitude of juice (which will be supplied by an unnamed plot device).

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                      You have to dial the 8th chevron before you can dial the 9th.
                      If dialing the 9th chevron can send you through time, then you'll have to travel back or forward in time on your way to another galaxy.
                      And this is carved in stone is it? If so i would like to see it please

And you may actually want to read my first post on this thread fully before you start jabbing your fingers against you keyboard.
                      Maybe you are just jealous because and you never came up with such a tight theory before me.
                      Hmm, the 9th Chevron

Comment

And most are bad ideas for simple reasons.

Bingo.

As I pointed out in other threads, you have to input a symbol for the 8th chevron before you can attempt to enter a 9th. In other words, no matter what the 9th chevron does, you're going to be traveling to another galaxy.

Then there's the fact that it's called a StarGate. There's no reason to assume that once you get to a certain chevron that the function of the device completely changes.
                        If its called a Star Gate why do peope travel through it and not Stars lol
                        Hmm, the 9th Chevron

Comment

If its called a Star Gate why do peope travel through it and not Stars lol
                          Now you are just being silly!

There is a few different theory's as to what the 9th Chevron does, but I think it would ether be used to connect to more gates or travel back in time and we know that was never perfected which might explain why most gates have the 8th and 9th Chevrons hidden
                          Most gates have the 9th and 8th Chevrons hidden as the gate is round and part of it has to be under the ground otherwise the gate would have to float in the air! Also the 8th Chevron is Perfected as otherwise they would never use, and it would seem the ancients and the Asgard use it alot.

Also what you think and what is fact are two diffrent things. I am all for fan fiction, but this is getting silly. its now 100% confirmed that the 9th Chevron can connect to this spaceship.
                          I am sure the 9th chevron compensates for the lack of a planetery body and instead works out the location of the ships location in space. Just because a ship is moving dose not mean the 9th chevron cannot work out where it is, after all Planets also move, be it slowly.
                          Last edited by MechaThor; 30 April 2008, 02:46 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Banner Made By Me for Me
                          The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

is that yewr theory or what they actually said?
                            i mean about the 9th chevron.
                            it seems kinda cool and understandable.
                            it kinda makes sense actually.
                            i mean it is a wormhole from one place to another.
                            so why should the 9th chevron send it to a ship unless it is sending yew to the stargate on the ship which means that yew might be able to send someone to another planet in a completely new galaxy that has been unheard of from earth.
                            i think it is kinda cool.
                            also have the stargate people mentioned any enemies or anything regarding stargate universe?

Comment

It took approximately 10 times normal power to dial the Asgard galaxy in The Fifth Race, so dialing another galactic group will probably be another order of magnitude of juice (which will be supplied by an unnamed plot device).
                              That thing from that planet featured on Atlantis, were the Ancients tried to extract subspace energy from our own universe.
                              Originally posted by Craig Charles
                              "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

I find The whole "9th chevron automatically finds and connects to a ship" thing kinda dumb. It goes against everything we know about how the gate works. The most logical conclusion to what the 9th chevron does is it connects to more gates.

Now we don't know that much about SGU so it very well maybe that they have to use the 9th chevron for the simple reason that the ship is in another galaxy group.

Comment

Working...
                                X