Satellite defence system for Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
    Didn't you know its actually very easy to operate and even repair alien technology millions of years a head of our own
    *facepalm*

how could i forget.

Comment

i mean the 304s would be the permanent earth defense system.

which is a permanent waste of resources. we have ******* multi-billion expensive intergalactic warships. why waste them in orbit around earth fighting WHAT? lucian alliance? the few megalomaniac goauld left? the jaffa? the remnants of the ori? or the occasional hive? all can be blown to hell with 6 APBW sattelites. why waste 304's on that?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        an sg team costs several million to train. what do you expect a crew costs that operates an intergalactic battlecruiser?
        first of all thats combat training which is a little different than learning how to fly a ship. i mean all theyd have to do is open up a top secret training academy that trains the 8 crews that the us would need and i doubt that it would cost more than 1.6 billion for the 8 that the us needs. and thats still less than what a single 304 costs so id say that not really expensive when everything involving the stargate program is basically priced in the billions of dollars. i mean the sgc has a budget of around 7 billion, a 304 costs 2-3 billion, and the atlantis program costs proboly around 7 billion. since billions seem to be the norm, i wouldnt really call 1.6 expensive.

and then estimating that each crew member makes an average of 60000 a year times 200 crewman times 8 crews times 10 years brings the grand total of 8 304 crew for 10 years to 960 million.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

and then estimating that each crew member makes an average of 60000 a year times 200 crewman times 8 crews times 10 years brings the grand total of 8 304 crew for 10 years to 960 million.
          which is a waste of money if you make them do nothing. also, we're talking hyperdrives and such. every person on such a ship would have to be an absolute master at what he/she does.

and as i said. seeing as these crews would do basically...nothing when patrolling, it's still a waste of money.

those 96 million per year you waste on permanent 304 defence would come handy in training aforementioned SG teams and researching other technology.

a sattelite will be nothing more than a heavily stripped down 304, so the costs are significantly less while it can still annihilate any known threat. why spend billions on overkill defence against non-existant enemies?

and it would be utterly ridiculous to have Atlantis go back to the Pegasus galaxy. it can serve as the new Superweapon. WITH shield this time so no surprise attack can put it out of function

Comment

which is a permanent waste of resources. we have ******* multi-billion expensive intergalactic warships. why waste them in orbit around earth fighting WHAT? lucian alliance? the few megalomaniac goauld left? the jaffa? the remnants of the ori? or the occasional hive? all can be blown to hell with 6 APBW sattelites. why waste 304's on that?
            I agree, though I think the APBW satellites should be a taad more complex than just APBW satellites. Maybe a cloak, sensors, and manuvering thrusters.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I agree, though I think the APBW satellites should be a taad more complex than just APBW satellites. Maybe a cloak, sensors, and manuvering thrusters.
              *epic facepalm*

c'mon. i proposed a sattelite with shield, thrusters, big ass powersource, and an APBW aswell as a computer and a communications system+ solar panels for basic power so you dont waste valuable power of the Powercore.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                They'd definately need a cloak to avoid being seen by the general public.
                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

magic of asgard cloaking systems. their very visible ships were unseen to us.

Comment

magic of asgard cloaking systems. their very visible ships were unseen to us.
                    Well our own 304's must have the same thing then because they're never seen. Was it ever stated that the Asgard have technology to render their ships invisible to onlookers? I have a vague recollection of something like that but I'm not sure if its speculation or stated canon fact.

TBH I tend to go with PIS (plot induced stupidity) for why the numerous alien ships that go to and thro from Earth are never seen.
                    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

well the most obvious way of hiding our ships: move to the light side, so the random guy looking at the sky at night won't notice it.

i believe the episode after Small Victories mentioned it. it was about Thor's ship burning up in earth's atmosphere.

Comment

*epic facepalm*

c'mon. i proposed a sattelite with shield, thrusters, big ass powersource, and an APBW aswell as a computer and a communications system+ solar panels for basic power so you dont waste valuable power of the Powercore.
                        Oh, sorry, I didn't see that.
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

which is a waste of money if you make them do nothing. also, we're talking hyperdrives and such. every person on such a ship would have to be an absolute master at what he/she does.

and as i said. seeing as these crews would do basically...nothing when patrolling, it's still a waste of money.

those 96 million per year you waste on permanent 304 defence would come handy in training aforementioned SG teams and researching other technology.

a sattelite will be nothing more than a heavily stripped down 304, so the costs are significantly less while it can still annihilate any known threat. why spend billions on overkill defence against non-existant enemies?

and it would be utterly ridiculous to have Atlantis go back to the Pegasus galaxy. it can serve as the new Superweapon. WITH shield this time so no surprise attack can put it out of function
                          im going to say this for the last time, the crew wont be in the 304 the 304 would be on the ground unmaned untill a threat comes along and then the crew would be called in to deal with the incoming threat. untill then they would be stationed at some place doing something else and still making roughly 60,000 a year doing another job.

this way we have enough ships to defend earth ready for deployment in defense of earth and that could be launched elsewhere in the galaxy as long as there are always lets say 15 304s stationed on earth for defense. i mean lets say we find out that the jaffa are massing for an attack, or some other enemy or whatever. we call in all of the 304 crews and we send our 25 ships to head them off while the other 15 stay as our main defence just in case a couple ships make it to earth.

im not saying that having satalites wouldnt work but i think that having a fleet of ships would work just as good and even better and having both would be overkill and a waste.
                          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                            Well our own 304's must have the same thing then because they're never seen. Was it ever stated that the Asgard have technology to render their ships invisible to onlookers? I have a vague recollection of something like that but I'm not sure if its speculation or stated canon fact.

TBH I tend to go with PIS (plot induced stupidity) for why the numerous alien ships that go to and thro from Earth are never seen.
                            The Asgard have technology that can render one invisible. We have seen the technology, though not in action.

sigpic

Comment

im going to say this for the last time, the crew wont be in the 304 the 304 would be on the ground unmaned untill a threat comes along and then the crew would be called in to deal with the incoming threat. untill then they would be stationed at some place doing something else and still making roughly 60,000 a year doing another job.
                              which is still a waste for a crew trained to man an intergalactic battlecruiser, they still need to keep their knowledge up to date, and you STILL have a 304 on the ground doing nothing while it also could be out on the field saving the day and helping people and well, being worth it's money instead of being permanently grounded to wait for an enemy that's never gonna come.

Atlantis blows the major threats out of the sky, anything too insignificant to waste drones on is blown to hell by APBW's on the sattelites.

a 304 has 6 APBW's as far as we know. that's the armament of 1 304, + 6 asgard powercores, + 6 deathglider engines, + 6 small computers, 6 communications arrays (which do not need to be uberly powerful), 6 goauld sensors and that's pretty much it. along with the construction materials of a corridor.

which saves:

-the hyperdrive.
                              -the construction materials of the rest of the ship (saving tons of expensive trinium and naquahdah)
                              - the asgard sensors (saves neutronium)
                              -200+ crew members
                              -sanitary systems, and anything to keep the crew from boring themselves.
                              -the rest of the 304 too insignificant to mention.
                              -the humongous engines.

so tell me, what can possibly weight up against this? there are various 304's in the milky way, not to mention the Odyssey which can get to earth 4x faster than any 304.

but why waste valuable 304's? atlantis can still blow the enemy to hell.

so your point is moot.

if anything does go horribly wrong, we probably have the Odyssey (who's core is being studied).

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                                i still dont see the point in basically creating a satalite defense grid that would basically make a fleet of 304s unnessisary.
                                The point is a defense grid of some kind doesn't make 304 or hyperdrive capable fleet unnecessary.
                                The defense grid just gives you a cheaper and faster to implement option for defending your home than building a fleet dedicated to planetary defense.
                                i mean your saying that we should build a grid of satalite and ground cannons to protect the planet,
                                Actually here in this thread I never said to build both a sat and cannon system, I've been saying either sats or cannons, I don't think you'd need both.
                                and i agree that thats one way that we can go i mean i have no doubt that it would be more than effective in protecting the planet but i perfer to have a fleet of 304s that can be deployed if needed. i mean the 304s would be the permanent earth defense system.
                                I think the current rate at which we can make ships would work fine with any home based defense system we can make within a few years.
                                and i totally disagree with your opinion concerning the asgard construction yard because i think that it would be more than possible to build 40 ships over the next decade provided we make at least 4 ships a year and increase our raw materials output and incorporate asgard technology which i think would be as simple as using asgard matter conversion technology and raw materials to basically build a ship in like a couple of months but thats just my opinion and we'll have to agree to disagree on tha one.
                                Those were observations on my part.
                                My point is where's the proof the Asgard can even match that kind of production rate?
                                What evidence do we have that they could produce say dozens of O'Neills in the peace time during Unnatural Selection and New Order?
                                and as for the whole cost thing with opperating a 304. i dont see all of these expenses that the two of you seem to. i mean whether their on the ship or not the crew is working for the airforce so they proboly make a certin salary and if there not working on the ship then there proboly doing some other job but either way their pay is proboly equal to that it costs to opperate any other ship and as for the other costs lets think about it.you have a ship that dosent require fuel for a year at least and will basically work as long as you have a crew. and then you need missils for the ship, if they are even still putting them on the ships, and railgun ammo, and then you need food for the crew , and finally medical supplies. can you think of anything else that the ships could possibly need? because i cant and i cant see how food and medical suplies and weapons can cost that much and even then, you could proboly just matter convert those things on the ship and not even have to worry about them.
                                The very fact that extra skilled people will be needed over whoever is already in the military well that in itself would be quite a few million at least per ship, say $60,000 per year, per person, times by 200=$12.000,000 per ship, per year, times that by 40 in the final year once all ships are made, crewed and it's gonna cost $480,000,000 per each year all of the ship's are in service, next to probably a few thousand dollars for each satellite or cannon's maintenance per year, maybe a few million the costs of a fleet are astronomical when compared to just the under estimated salaries of all those men and women in service at once.

Comment

Working...
                                X