Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    the core can make stuff for us.
    The core can only make what it knows. And it doesn't make things. It converts matter.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

The core does convert matter yes, but it also can make things as is proven by the fact Carter could construct a cello and Teal'c's tritonan with it.
      I think Thor even used the matter conversion tech to build the first Anti Replicator Weapon in New Order so metallic objects aren't beyond it's capabilities.

Unless we knew the atomic make up of any given piece of Ancient tech and it's components we couldn't reproduce it.
      Perhaps the core and Asgard sensors could be used to analyze an Ancient satellite (if any are still lying around PG) and then replicate the device, converting the necessary base raw materials into a new copy of the original Ancient satellite or whatever piece of tech you want to build (probably not things like ZPMs as I think other processes would be needed like something to isolate a region of subspace, but I don't want to get into or start a long "how to make ZPMs" debate again).

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
        The core does convert matter yes, but it also can make things as is proven by the fact Carter could construct a cello and Teal'c's tritonan with it.
        I think Thor even used the matter conversion tech to build the first Anti Replicator Weapon in New Order so metallic objects aren't beyond it's capabilities.

Unless we knew the atomic make up of any given piece of Ancient tech and it's components we couldn't reproduce it.
        Perhaps the core and Asgard sensors could be used to analyze an Ancient satellite (if any are still lying around PG) and then replicate the device, converting the necessary base raw materials into a new copy of the original Ancient satellite or whatever piece of tech you want to build (probably not things like ZPMs as I think other processes would be needed like something to isolate a region of subspace, but I don't want to get into or start a long "how to make ZPMs" debate again).
        Yes, but a cello and a Satellite are two different technologies. One of them is made of wood, horse tail, and strings of metal, while the other has circuits, programs, buffers, etc. The Replicator disruptor was made by Jack O'Neill, not a matter converter. Jack built it with his mind, and then the matter converter brought it into being. And I'd bet a gold bar to a 10 day old delta perch that Teal'c had tritonin on the Oddysey, and that it was a simple matter of analyizing it, and replicating its molecular makeup. What I suspect, is that if complex technology is needed to be made, you either need a living mind to build it within the machine, or extremely detailed schematics.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

the core can make anything ASGARD with ease, because the asgard used the same system.
          it even built a replicator!

it is why i said we needed an all-asgard sattelite. besides, i think the ACC builds individual components virtually, then assembles them virtually and finally "beams" them into place

Comment

the core can make anything ASGARD with ease, because the asgard used the same system.
            it even built a replicator!

it is why i said we needed an all-asgard sattelite. besides, i think the ACC builds individual components virtually, then assembles them virtually and finally "beams" them into place
            I think an Asgard satellite would be a good way to go for now, as well, but I'm wondering about the power consumptions. Asgard Power cores aren't exactly our building forte at the moment.

sigpic

Comment

which is why the core has to build them.

i agree and know that it will take some time. it might suspend research on the thing. but it gives us safety and protection form ANY known foe. without the costs and needs of a permanent 304. eventually it will outdate. i know. but by that time we can replace them by permanent 304's

Comment

which is why the core has to build them.

i agree and know that it will take some time. it might suspend research on the thing. but it gives us safety and protection form ANY known foe. without the costs and needs of a permanent 304. eventually it will outdate. i know. but by that time we can replace them by permanent 304's
                Power making more power...how exceptionally devious.

I LIKE IT!

sigpic

Comment

Ok theKillman has managed to convince with his overwhelming argument that an all Asgard satellite would be better than an Ori one

My revised sattelite design

2. Second line of defence is a series of a dozen or so APBW satellites in orbit above Earth. The satellite consists of an APBW, Asgard shields, sensors and the power supply comes from a small power source similar to the one on the Asgard computer core (also the solar panels for low level power suggested by thekillman). These satellites are to take out any ships that make it past the first line of defence or drop out of hyperspace directly above Earth.
                  "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                  "That he is concealing something."
                  "Like what?"
                  "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                  "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                  "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                  "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                    Ok theKillman has managed to convince with his overwhelming argument that an all Asgard satellite would be better than an Ori one

My revised sattelite design

2. Second line of defence is a series of a dozen or so APBW satellites in orbit above Earth. The satellite consists of an APBW, Asgard shields, sensors and the power supply comes from a small power source similar to the one on the Asgard computer core (also the solar panels for low level power suggested by thekillman). These satellites are to take out any ships that make it past the first line of defence or drop out of hyperspace directly above Earth.
                    I would suggest, as precautions, manuvering thrusters, and a cloak. That way, a satellite can "sneak up" on a ship, and fire, then raise shields.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                      I would suggest, as precautions, manuvering thrusters, and a cloak. That way, a satellite can "sneak up" on a ship, and fire, then raise shields.
                      Good, I like it . However I don't think it should be too big as that would use up too many resources that could be used to make 304's.
                      "Like what?"

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                      "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Good, I like it . However I don't think it should be too big as that would use up too many resources that could be used to make 304's.
                        Precisely. It shouldn't be the size of the Lantean satellite, but should also be able to dock with a 302 or something so that repairs can be made on the inside.

sigpic

Comment

I also like the idea of an enemy drooping out of hyperspace outside of weapons range, scanning for defences and detecting none, approving Earth only for the Sats to de-cloak, fire and re-cloak and move out of range before the other ships have time to fire (sort of like a giant game of cat and mouse )
                          "Like what?"

"I liked that movie!"

Comment

I also like the idea of an enemy drooping out of hyperspace outside of weapons range, scanning for defences and detecting none, approving Earth only for the Sats to de-cloak, fire and re-cloak and move out of range before the other ships have time to fire (sort of like a giant game of cat and mouse )
                            Hehehe, war games. You gotta love 'em.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, but a cello and a Satellite are two different technologies. One of them is made of wood, horse tail, and strings of metal, while the other has circuits, programs, buffers, etc. The Replicator disruptor was made by Jack O'Neill, not a matter converter. Jack built it with his mind, and then the matter converter brought it into being. And I'd bet a gold bar to a 10 day old delta perch that Teal'c had tritonin on the Oddysey, and that it was a simple matter of analyizing it, and replicating its molecular makeup. What I suspect, is that if complex technology is needed to be made, you either need a living mind to build it within the machine, or extremely detailed schematics.
                              In AoT the core was used to make a replicator, now I realize that replicators were likely already analyzed by the Asgard for the core to know how to make one, seeing as that's the case then it stands to reason that we should be able to use Asgard sensors to analyze most pieces of technology at the atomic scale and then duplicate them, provided we can acquire whatever base raw materials are needed to make something like Ancient tech.
                              Why would you need a living mind to do that?
                              The Asgard have never been shown to possess something like the device Merlin and Daniel used in The Quest Part 2, so I don't see why they'd need something like that for the process to work.

I'm not talking about trying to make a ZPM, although I don't see why that should be impossible to duplicate at the very least the physical casing, the task of containing a region of subspace time would I guess depend on the Tauri's knowledge of subspace, anyway the actual Ancient's satellite and most pieces of tech that don't have to do some exotic thing to function, well we should be able to duplicate those with the Asgard's matter converter.
                              Making an identical copy of an Ancient satellite at their level would probably take an age to Analyze (seeing how long it took to simply build the Replicator in AoT), but I don't see why it would be beyond us, using Asgard tech, TBH even Drones should be able to be copied unless they too have some exotic process they perform to work or they have components that are made in a manner that is beyond even the Asgard's level of fabrication technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                                In AoT the core was used to make a replicator, now I realize that replicators were likely already analyzed by the Asgard for the core to know how to make one, seeing as that's the case then it stands to reason that we should be able to use Asgard sensors to analyze most pieces of technology at the atomic scale and then duplicate them, provided we can acquire whatever base raw materials are needed to make something like Ancient tech.
                                Why would you need a living mind to do that?
                                The Asgard have never been shown to possess something like the device Merlin and Daniel used in The Quest Part 2, so I don't see why they'd need something like that for the process to work.
                                I say living mind due to the fact that the Asgard simply didn't extract the knowledge from O'Neill's mind. Albeit, the Repository was extremely largeish, but O'Neill had to build it himself.

I'm not talking about trying to make a ZPM, although I don't see why that should be impossible to duplicate at the very least the physical casing, the task of containing a region of subspace time would I guess depend on the Tauri's knowledge of subspace, anyway the actual Ancient's satellite and most pieces of tech that don't have to do some exotic thing to function, well we should be able to duplicate those with the Asgard's matter converter.
                                Making an identical copy of an Ancient satellite at their level would probably take an age to Analyze (seeing how long it took to simply build the Replicator in AoT), but I don't see why it would be beyond us, using Asgard tech, TBH even Drones should be able to be copied unless they too have some exotic process they perform to work or they have components that are made in a manner that is beyond even the Asgard's level of fabrication technology.
                                But it would take time, time better spent on having the core create designs, beaming out the designs, and have ourselves build it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X