Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    There is no Asgard "Power Core".
    Im sorry, I never meant "Power core"; I meant power source.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
      Im sorry, I never meant "Power core"; I meant power source.
      Actually, I was directing it mostly at Killman, who's been going on about it for months.

Comment

"UNENDING"

QED.

to power such a computer would already take tons of energy. transistor energy requirements exponentially increase with the speed of calculation. because it is a fundamental piece of electronics, even the asgard should have them and suffer from that problem. building a device based upon interpretating programming and subsequently downloading all available data onto it while also moleculary constructing it within an hour is something the entire internet cant do. the energy requirements must be immense.

besides together with the ZPM, it powered the TDF. seeing that it was mentioned means it's energy is significant enough to be mentioned.

Comment

My only concern with creating an APBW satellite defence system is that we risk becoming too reliant on one type of technology for both offence and defence. If one of our enemies were able to figure out a way to modify their shields against an APBW (excluding the Wraith of course) then we would lose our major advantage, sure we have Atlantis on Earth, but for how long before it gets sent back to Pegasus (as much as I would like it to remain on Earth it probably won’t). Think what happened to the Tollan when they became too reliant on their Ion Cannons for defence!
          Last edited by Control_Chair; 29 August 2009, 10:00 AM.
          "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
          "That he is concealing something."
          "Like what?"
          "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
          "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
          "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
          "I liked that movie!"

Comment

except that the APBW defence blows everything to hell that's not worth spending DRONES on. if APBW's are ineffective then drones are fired. and i doubt people can just cook up a defence. unless we have some supertech aliens. but then we're screwed anyways as they will be smart enough to cobalt bomb our planet and just claim the rest of the galaxy. i think they'll settle with a planet less.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              "UNENDING"

QED.

to power such a computer would already take tons of energy. transistor energy requirements exponentially increase with the speed of calculation. because it is a fundamental piece of electronics, even the asgard should have them and suffer from that problem. building a device based upon interpretating programming and subsequently downloading all available data onto it while also moleculary constructing it within an hour is something the entire internet cant do. the energy requirements must be immense.

besides together with the ZPM, it powered the TDF. seeing that it was mentioned means it's energy is significant enough to be mentioned.
              But we have no indication that the Asgard use transistors and not something a lot more advanced like electron spin storage or some other way-techy thingy.

Comment

as i said it is fundamental to electronics.

Comment

I'm unfamiliar with the principles, please explain.

Comment

i'll try to find the article.

here

Four interconnected things, mathematics says, can be related in six ways. Charge and current, and magnetic flux and voltage, are connected through their definitions. That's two. Three more associations correspond to the three traditional circuit elements. A resistor is any device that, when you pass current through it, creates a voltage. For a given voltage a capacitor will store a certain amount of charge. Pass a current through an inductor, and you create a magnetic flux. That makes five. Something missing?

Comment

A platform capable of firing APBW's in some sort of rapid way would be easily sufficient to handle the threats known to us in the MW. Unless we're going to be encountering Ancient technology level enemies or more Superhives the APBW can deal with anything bare large numbers. Seeing as its unlikely that Earth will be attacked with a dozen Hive ships several APBW's able to orbit the planet quickly to intercept threats should be sufficient.

Hell Atlantis with 3 ZPMs can even extend its shield over most of the planet if it has too! The real problem for Earth is sneak attacks, Alkesh carrying naquadah bombs etc...If we can detect and intercept ships from a distance we should be able to stop them leveling cities before our weapons knock them out.
                      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

atlantis can detect ships from far away.

Comment

What's that got to do with power consumption in computers?

Comment

Um.. guys.. satellite defence system is "Star Wars". It was renamed to Missile Defense Agency. See Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strateg...nse_Initiative

Sorry.. had to do that. It was such a perfect setup... Back to Stargate!
                            WraithQueenH

"You are more like Wraith than you know."
                            "I'm not sure I like the sound of that."
                            "There is much about Wraith that you do not know, Sheppard."
                            - John Sheppard and Todd, "Common Ground"

"We all agree the Ancients were pretty screwed up. All the ones I met were arrogant and condescending and not for good reason. Now they made giant mistakes and never fixed them." - John Sheppard

Comment

yes, but this is a real-world project where the system was developed because of a North Korea and like threat. We are talking about satellite network, which would defend Earth against aliens (Stargate enemies)

Comment

the zpm answers all the power consumption question, that was the idea right

Comment

Working...
                                X