No announcement yet.

Death Gliders vs Tanks (M1 Abrams)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goa'uld and the Wraith would provide superior fire power to a division of Abrams. We have seen ground forces, without tanks, hold off the goauld before but never for long and always when the Goa'uld are trying to capture something as opposed to just decimating it.

A tank made with the same technoogy used in the 302s and 304s might stand a chance. Rail guns and trinium armour would be very effective. A beeter weapon would be the Tolan cannon.

Yes I know they are not effective against Goa'uld hive shields but we wouldn't use tanks to take out a hive.

Comment

an abrahams with a railgun could own an entire squadron of darts.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
        Watch EaTG you'll see that a Dart is far superior. W

hen have we seen a Jumper take a lot of hits from a dart? The one time there's been direct hits the Jumper exploded.

What you're doing is picking out the best instances of a Glider and comparing it to the worst of the Dart instances, even then you're getting it wrong. In Broken Ties I think the Darts rose vertically up out of the Wraith outpost, guess they can hover. Why do you think Darts can't hover? Have they had need to in the series? When has a Dart ever not kept up with a 302? When has it been shown to be slower? A glider can't take direct hits from Dart weapons though so its ability to not be downed by concentrated machine gun fire isn't going to help it.

I'll say it again watch EaTG, the rate of fire displayed by Darts is far superior to anything a Glider has shown they also do a number on our 302's.
        EATG hasn't aired in UK and i havent sen any good qualit other means so im content to wait and i didnt see any darts riseing up in BT but ill take your word for it the reason i dismissed the drect it was because we never saw a glider score a direct hit head on so its only fair to compare glancing blow to glancing blow

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
          EATG hasn't aired in UK and i havent sen any good qualit other means so im content to wait and i didnt see any darts riseing up in BT but ill take your word for it the reason i dismissed the drect it was because we never saw a glider score a direct hit head on so its only fair to compare glancing blow to glancing blow
          Are you sure they were only glancing blows in Moebius though?

My main point is why assume Darts can't hover? Why do you think Darts are so slow when they can keep up with our own fighters and puddle jumpers?
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

darts can speed up to ballistic speeds, FACT.

Comment

Hey guys to figure out how fast the death glider and the dart really are, just calculate how fast a craft have to be to escape gravity and break free into space

Comment

A Death Glider can cover hundreds of feet through an ocean, flying upwards, within seconds (Descent), could cover a distance similar to 1 AU within two dozens minutes (Exodus), would reach Earth's orbit in seconds as well once starting from the surface, was flying so fast that Earth was appearing to shrink to its crew, after having reached a speed of 1 million miles an hour (277.77 miles/s) before the ship stopped accelerating on its own (Tangent).
                Last edited by Mister Oragahn; 07 January 2009, 02:36 PM.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                  There is no real need for a heavy battle tank in SG engagements. Especially against energy weapons. We have plenty of anti-air and anti-infantry. i also think that an Abrahams or the mighty Charlie 2 would be punded by a Death Glider or the like. they would be good against contempory Terran opponents, but against plasma weaponry?

As for continuity, sometimes staff wepaons blow holes in the gateroom doors, sometimes they don't.
                  Clearly no tank, but as many have said before in several threads for years, an armoured transport or some of those multi wheeled vehicles with auto cannons, missiles launchers or howitzers would fit with no problem, be more than fast and mobile enough for typical mid to high risk SGC missions.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    3-remove the logistical nightmare thing. rip off its current engines, make it electro-engine propelled with a Mark I in the back for power to its tracks and its railgun. no superfuelconsuming tank.
                    transport is easier due to the lightweight CP.
                    !

While that might work for power, if it got destroyed, the resultant explosion would not just take out the tank it was in, but most likely everything else on the battle field.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                      Clearly no tank, but as many have said before in several threads for years, an armoured transport or some of those multi wheeled vehicles with auto cannons, missiles launchers or howitzers would fit with no problem, be more than fast and mobile enough for typical mid to high risk SGC missions.
                      Yes. A Bradely or Warrior APC would be perfect. They are'n too wide or high, but pack decent firepower and make for good protection
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Yes. A Bradely or Warrior APC would be perfect. They are'n too wide or high, but pack decent firepower and make for good protection
                        This

Are you sure they were only glancing blows in Moebius though?

My main point is why assume Darts can't hover? Why do you think Darts are so slow when they can keep up with our own fighters and puddle jumpers?
                        They where glancing blows judging by the damage viible when they landed (a couple of sort of half craters on side

And as for speed a dart can be tracked by person holding a light maching gun (search and rescue) and the gliders are bloody fast watch tangent

Comment

The episode, was it Reunion, where they baited two Darts with a puddle jumper, and approached the Wraith base with a cloaked on, has shown that:

1. Darts can hover.
                          2. Darts have accelerations which are just as good as any acceleration observed for Death Gliders.

Comment

Darts are better than Gliders. I mena, look at continuum. Two F-15, lighter armed than usual, turn on 16 of them and blow some out the sky. Gliders suck
                            sigpic
                            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Darts are better than Gliders. I mena, look at continuum. Two F-15, lighter armed than usual, turn on 16 of them and blow some out the sky. Gliders suck
                              F15s got no kills the four Migs engaed about 6 and got 2 kills

though on watchin EATG i agree darts are faster and more agile but i still maintain they glider is tougher if not purely due to size thicker armour two wepons as opposed to one.

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                                F15s got no kills the four Migs engaed about 6 and got 2 kills

though on watchin EATG i agree darts are faster and more agile but i still maintain they glider is tougher if not purely due to size thicker armour two wepons as opposed to one.
                                Gliders are definately tougher if we're talking armor wise, no question about that. However the Dart guns aren't visible so we don't know how many it has and even if we assume that it only has one its still as good as the 2 Glider canons combined. Dart weapons have a better rate of fire and a direct hit from either craft is going to be a kill so combine better rof with better agility and I'd give it to a Dart in a dog fight.
                                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                                X