No announcement yet.

ZPM: will they ever reveal it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but that bit was literally a bit. it wouldve held the shield for years extra, but then again, the city was "dead". once we got there, the city came alive again and powerusage went up drastically

Comment

Originally posted by Delsana View Post
      Just as an FYI...

You do realize that it was stated when Dr Wier was found in the stasis chamber in Atlantis that when all 3 were used to hold it back, it didn't survive intact long enough, and so she changed the zpm's from going to all 3 at once, to 1 at a time, which made it last a bit longer (and also allowed for the "rising" from the water.

So 10000 / 3 isn't the route for the ZPM's.
      oh well then i guess it's 3,333 years

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        no. if you make a trillion watt battery, you have to enter a trillion watts. you cant make it out of nowhere. ancients most likely created the energy via NIG's. massive ones nonstop generating power. 1 nig could make 3 ZPMs a year

dont zpms draw their power from a self contained pocket of subspace time untill theirs no more power to draw and is thus depleted? the ancients did not just use the zpm as a energy storing device, which is essientally what your implying. it was a power source.

my guess is that the process a zpm must undergo to fill it with a pocket of subspace is so complex it takes some time to complete but i doubt it would take years to make. and since it is such a complex process to make one, it could be why we cant do it yet. however, theres really no evidence that zpms werent easy to make by the ancients and took years to make, which people seem to believe. i mean just because they arent common today dosent mean that they werent back then. yes, obviously towards the decline of their civilization, their resources were severly depleted which could be why zpms became so precious, but at the height of their civilization, they proboly had hundreds if not thousands of zpms in use.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

well i rather think you need complex infrastructure.

also, a battery is a powersource too. powersource: source of power. wheter its stored or not.

scrap the NIG idea. id go with complex infrastructure. thats why asurans could make many, but the splinter group in "Mortal coil" couldnt just make one. i bet neutronium has something to do with it aswell[its used for alot of advanced tech]

Comment

could you recharge a ZPM using lower sources? probably.

but how the ancients created them, i doubt they would use 1 power source to recharge a ZPM. im pretty sure they had a simpler way of charging them.

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
              could you recharge a ZPM using lower sources? probably.

but how the ancients created them, i doubt they would use 1 power source to recharge a ZPM. im pretty sure they had a simpler way of charging them.
              Its been said numerous times in the series and even in this thread that you can't recharge ZPMs.
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

if you cannot "recharge" a ZPM, then it would have to be "fully charged" when it is created initially.

that would mean having something like replicators create them for us would work.

Comment

if you cannot "recharge" a ZPM, then it would have to be "fully charged" when it is created initially.

that would mean having something like replicators create them for us would work.
                  No it wouldn't. A ZPM draws its power from a region of subpsace time, what you need is a mechanism to either create that region or to isolate a part of subspace.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

the first takes alot of power, the second requires massive infrastructure [as indicated by TMC]

Comment

the first takes alot of power, the second requires massive infrastructure [as indicated by TMC]
                      So you couldn't just use a subspace tap to draw in the energy and then bottle it up a ZPM?
                      Since seeing Daedalus Variations I've been thinking that may have kinda been how the Ancients did it.

I think if it's shown it may have some link to what powers the Destiny in SGU, like their precursor the ZPM, I mean the ship would need a lot of power and drawing energy from subspace, confining it in some kind of magnetic/energy field could be a pretty effective self sufficient, long lasting means of doing that.

Comment

i know that depleated zpms are a huge plot device used by the SG people, but will they ever reveal a method that we can use to create more?

wheather its finding a factory that can make them, or finding the information in the atlantis database on how to make them or SOMETHING

i think this has been done to death and should be addressed. at this point i think its just a crutch thats been used for too long.
                        I don't think they'll reveal how to build them. It would give us too much security as we would have an constant supply when required. Plus it would stop us coming up with last minute solutions to save the city
                        Spoiler:
                        Cloaking the city when the Wraith attacked to make them think we'd been destroyed. Moving Atlantis to a new planet when the Replicators attacked.

I like it better when we're the underdogs and work against the odd's!

Comment

If they ever did reveal it I doubt that we would be able to manufacture, create, recharge etc. ZPMs. Knowing how the ancients made them would be nice, the problem is that the writers would always make it so they have the ability at the last minute and that's why I don't think they will ever reveal it.
                          Best quotes ever:
                          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                          Thor:I like the yellow ones
                          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

I think the strongest chance of the secrets to ZPM production being revealed could be in Enemy At The Gate (I'm sure the writers can think up some reason to necessitate it being used as a plot device), especially if the Wraith come back to Atlantis in huge numbers, either that or Universe shows some connection for how the Ancients developed the technology in the first place on Destiny perhaps.

Comment

yea and then, out of the blue, someone attacks and destroys it. we get no ZPM's out. ouch

Comment

yea and then, out of the blue, someone attacks and destroys it. we get no ZPM's out. ouch
                                That seriously is probably what the writers would do.

Comment

Working...
                                X