X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What else do you want to compare...?

Comment

OK, let's move on to theory then.

Tehre have been several "Best Weapon" threads discusing the merits of real world wepons, but what qulities would be desirable in a weapon fielded by the SGC?

Comment

How bout these....

Made by FN USA.

Comment

Let me rephrase that:

What qualities do you look for in a wepon fielded by a top secret branch of the military, funded by am equali top secret fraternity of the most powerful nation on the planet, expected to defeat armor stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum, inflict critical damage on beings capabel of complleat self repair in secnds.......I gotto go now.

Comment

Wow... that's a toughy. Will have to think about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hong3103 View Post
              Wow... that's a toughy. Will have to think about that one.
              Adding on to that: Usualy (the enemy) in superior numbers, and capable of takign on the air support hose said beings usualy have on call. As a bonus they have to bee inconspicuous enough to not seem overly hostile to the natives.

Comment

dude! friggin FN SCAR?! im sick of that such an ugly gun seriously! y did they have to cancel the XM8?! that was like an AMERICAN G36! seriously! well forget that i would rather use a G36K or a P90 or even an M16 or M4, shoot toss me a friggin MP5, i'll make better use of that than what they've been using it. anyways yeah sticking to the M9 or Kimber Custom .45 (Sheppard's .45) would be a good idea and maybe they should replace (along with the whole US/NATO) the M9 with the Sig P226. next they should really make the battle scenes more realistic, sure add some wounded and stuff but yeah...u get the point right?

Comment

Originally posted by Major V1125 View Post
                  dude! friggin FN SCAR?! im sick of that such an ugly gun seriously! y did they have to cancel the XM8?! that was like an AMERICAN G36! seriously! well forget that i would rather use a G36K or a P90 or even an M16 or M4, shoot toss me a friggin MP5, i'll make better use of that than what they've been using it. anyways yeah sticking to the M9 or Kimber Custom .45 (Sheppard's .45) would be a good idea and maybe they should replace (along with the whole US/NATO) the M9 with the Sig P226. next they should really make the battle scenes more realistic, sure add some wounded and stuff but yeah...u get the point right?
                  The G36 has got to be the best assault rifle of the last 20 years. The FN scar is a crap copy.

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                  Let me rephrase that:

What qualities do you look for in a wepon fielded by a top secret branch of the military, funded by am equali top secret fraternity of the most powerful nation on the planet, expected to defeat armor stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum, inflict critical damage on beings capabel of complleat self repair in secnds.......I gotto go now.
                  I think a 7.62 calibre version of the G36, with 'cop killer' ammo (the stuff that laughs at kevlar), with a shotgun attachment and a grenade launcher for every four riflemen.
                  As for theory, a weapon like the Kulls, only staff/rifle mounted with accuaracy would be good.
                  Some sort of Railrifle would be nice, but scaling rail weapons down will take a while.....
                  sigpic
                  385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

While I am a bit of a firearms noob - never served in the armed forces and the only thing I've ever shot at is clay pigeons lol - but surely there would be some focus on developing directed energy weapons by the SGC, even if it wasn't for large scale deployment?

We saw in Bounty that they had an intentionally flawed ray gun. And with access to Jaffa, Supersoldier, Ori, Wraith, Ancient and Asgard weapons designed, hell even Ronon's gun specs, they could develop a multi-purpose field weapon that could stun, be accurate, pack a punch and have a sufficient rate of fire all in one unit.

Something along the lines of Supersoldier element for full auto, wraith/zat for stun, staff weapon in the place of a grenade laucher, with advanced sensors augmenting the eye piece. And with a small naquadah power cell, the need to carry lots of ammo would be eliminated.

Don't get me wrong, I like the real world element of the military activity in SG and wouldn't want it see Shepard telling his team to set phasers on stun lol but I am surprised it hasn't even been discussed by the characters. Where is O'Neill's big and honking guns that he longed for? lol
                    I hope you like Guinness sir, I find it a refreshing substitute for.... food

Comment

well the x-699, given its size, with the size/effect ratio of a staffweapon, would be a plasma bazooka, not a rifle. it would give effects like the staffweapons in the Stargate Movie, big explosions, insta kill on wraith.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                        There is nothing puny bout a 9mm. The only problem is that is a pistol round. A 9mm to the head, three or four times would be enough to stop those bloody wraith getting back up again!!!
                        Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post

Mass Accelerator, using magnets and the like, are basically railguns. And the point that SGC is in the show, they have no way of scaling it donw sufficiently to a man portable scale. The smallest you'll see tham for a while is the ones in seige part 2 and 3

But with all that technology they acquire, you'd think they'd be able to reverse engineer a rail gun. I think a rail gun is the only way to keep the real world appeal of actual real world guns, while at the same time adding an advanced sci-fi futuristic element.

True... but how many scenes have you seen when somebody was at point blank range and unloaded a magazine into a Wraith when a head shot was all that was needed...

This is why they need to stop using these real world type weapons. Against Wraith, Replicators, etc. the types of weapons they use are unrealistic. They need something a bit more adaptable. One good thing about using a railgun type machine gun is the gun itself would use a magnet to shoot the bullets, not a gun powder. Potentially such a weapon could be programmed to adjust for recoil and intensity - fire power. So the gun might have a small PC and OS that affects the magnet built into the hilt. I'm not an expert on guns. Most of what I know comes from video games so forgive any inaccuracies. I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Let me rephrase that:

In order to build a better weapon you need better materials. One great example of this is the Naquadah bomb. It's a better version of a nuclear bomb. Naquadah has been a great plot device in the Stargate universe. In order to have better guns the Sgverse has to come up with better elements. I mean the SGC has visited so many planets and yet they haven't found a better substitute for gunpowder or better metals that could be used to create more efficient guns? The weapons would be the same real life weapons that Sgverse uses, but the back story behind these weapons would be make the weapons more advanced. Before I mentioned a machine gun/railgun similar to the ones used in video game Mass Effect that used smaller bullets. Imagine bullets which uses a more advanced form of gunpowder. This gun powder would pack the same punch as regular gunpowder, but it would need significantly less space meaning you could design smaller bullets. With smaller bullets a clip could hold significantly more ammo. Maybe not unlimited like in Mass effect though.

An even better weapon would be a gun built entirely from replicator nanites. This gun could morph into a variety of weapons. So it could transform from a pistol, to a machine gun, to a shot gun on the fly. Is this idea too extreme?

The Human Element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future.
                        -Dow ad

Comment

inetic wepons have their merits, however high energy rapid fire systems can deliver the same force without the need for recoil of any sort leading to greater aaccuracy (expecily if smart aim systsms are used) and can maintain a high rate of fire indefiently as long as the wepon's temeperature can be maintained within operatonal parameters.

my one problem with them is the fact that they'e been portaryed very childislhy in SG, the "flowing bobs" which move at sub sonic speed for example.

A high powered laser would ensure perfect accuracy at any range as long as bloming and human eror could be accounted for, on contact it could explosively plasmify a part of the target, leading to an impulse kill, rather like detonating a small explosive on the nemy's chest.
                          The prolem with such wepons is two fold however: a need for high efficiency coling systms, and a powerful yet compact and lightweight power source.

The later is fairly easy in SG but the earlier could be aproblem.

The nanite gun is pointless in this ocntext becuase if we had tha tmuch control over nanites, then we would simply design a full body exoscheleton out of the stuff that could form into various wepons terminator style.

Comment

inetic wepons have their merits, however high energy rapid fire systems can deliver the same force without the need for recoil of any sort leading to greater aaccuracy (expecily if smart aim systsms are used) and can maintain a high rate of fire indefiently as long as the wepon's temeperature can be maintained within operatonal parameters.

my one problem with them is the fact that they'e been portaryed very childislhy in SG, the "flowing bobs" which move at sub sonic speed for example.

A high powered laser would ensure perfect accuracy at any range as long as bloming and human eror could be accounted for, on contact it could explosively plasmify a part of the target, leading to an impulse kill, rather like detonating a small explosive on the nemy's chest.
                            The prolem with such wepons is two fold however: a need for high efficiency coling systms, and a powerful yet compact and lightweight power source.

The later is fairly easy in SG but the earlier could be aproblem.

The nanite gun is pointless in this ocntext becuase if we had tha tmuch control over nanites, then we would simply design a full body exoscheleton out of the stuff that could form into various wepons terminator style.
                            Energy weapons are great, but will the fans accept them? Also will it keep the real world appeal of a modern military that Stargate has? That's the reason why I suggested handheld railgun (kinetic) weapons.

Did anyone else see that energy weapon in this weeks episode of Fringe? It has a real world aesthetic.

The Human Element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future.
                            -Dow ad

Comment

Originally posted by TheHumanElement View Post
                              Energy weapons are great, but will the fans accept them? Also will it keep the real world appeal of a modern military that Stargate has? That's the reason why I suggested handheld railgun (kinetic) weapons.

Did anyone else see that energy weapon in this weeks episode of Fringe? It has a real world aesthetic.
                              Fan appeal is a non-issue here, we're not trying to convince the writers or anything.

Don't watch it, post some pics.

Comment

Maybe it's the cost of CG that's keeping TPTB from going to energy based weapons....?

Comment

Working...
                                X