Infantry Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    Alright, let's try to settle the DEW vs. KEW argument, this time looking at their respective capabilities and not the production factors.

Now, a KEW needs ammunition, but it's invunerable to any sort of EMP or other handwavium fields. On the other hand, a DEW needs no ammunition, can be used for multiple purposes (croud control, anti presonell, even anti-armor) all in one gun. On the other, it's probabaly a heck lot mroe sensitive to enviromental factors (rain, snow, etc) and handwavium fields.

My question to you venerable gun experts is: Which characteristics would make one of these types of weapons more desirable in diferent suitations?
    Excuse my ignorance. What's DEW and KEW??????
    sigpic
    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

DEW-Directed Energy Weapon
      KEW-Kinetic Energy Weapon

Comment

Originally posted by Hong3103 View Post
        DEW-Directed Energy Weapon
        KEW-Kinetic Energy Weapon
        Thankee kindly

Alright, let's try to settle the DEW vs. KEW argument, this time looking at their respective capabilities and not the production factors.

Now, a KEW needs ammunition, but it's invunerable to any sort of EMP or other handwavium fields. On the other hand, a DEW needs no ammunition, can be used for multiple purposes (croud control, anti presonell, even anti-armor) all in one gun. On the other, it's probabaly a heck lot mroe sensitive to enviromental factors (rain, snow, etc) and handwavium fields.

My question to you venerable gun experts is: Which characteristics would make one of these types of weapons more desirable in diferent suitations?
        It depends on the context of usage. I would alsways go for the simler, more reliable one, but that depends on what ur shooting. Ammo isn't expensive to make, but it still has to be produced and shipped out.
        But, judging by most scifi and the newfangled anti crowd weapon the yanks have come up with, there is always somethinglittle that can go wrong and will mess up the working of said weapon. And many ship borne energy weapons run off the same power source as engines and shields, which can't be efficient, surely?
        As the saying goes 'keep it simple stupid'. Ballisics every time
        sigpic
        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
          Thankee kindly

It depends on the context of usage. I would alsways go for the simler, more reliable one, but that depends on what ur shooting. Ammo isn't expensive to make, but it still has to be produced and shipped out.
          But, judging by most scifi and the newfangled anti crowd weapon the yanks have come up with, there is always somethinglittle that can go wrong and will mess up the working of said weapon. And many ship borne energy weapons run off the same power source as engines and shields, which can't be efficient, surely?
          As the saying goes 'keep it simple stupid'. Ballisics every time
          Actually, i think the power is routed into a systems of capacitors, from which it can be easily reouted from one system to another.

On the other hand of the durability argument are the zats and staff wepons, which seem to have served for hundreds of years wihtout any sort of serious maintanance or loss of power.

Comment

Actually, i think the power is routed into a systems of capacitors, from which it can be easily reouted from one system to another.

On the other hand of the durability argument are the zats and staff wepons, which seem to have served for hundreds of years wihtout any sort of serious maintanance or loss of power.
            Like I said, there is good dal of context involved. Staff weapons r pretty good. But look how pedantic energy weapons on ships tend to be in eveything
            sigpic
            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Like I said, there is good dal of context involved. Staff weapons r pretty good. But look how pedantic energy weapons on ships tend to be in eveything
              Well let's say the ussual situations SG teams could run into. These sorts of sturdy, but flexible weapons would be quite desirable no?

Comment

Well let's say the ussual situations SG teams could run into. These sorts of sturdy, but flexible weapons would be quite desirable no?
                Well, staff weapons are preytty good, but I'd rely on a bullet based weapons!!!!
                sigpic
                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Well, staff weapons are preytty good, but I'd rely on a bullet based weapons!!!!
                  Yes, you've made your personal preference quite clear.

The question is, is there anything a balistic wepon could do which a energy one could not (besides replicators, which are extinct)?

Comment

Yes, you've made your personal preference quite clear.

The question is, is there anything a balistic wepon could do which a energy one could not (besides replicators, which are extinct)?
                    Weill i would guess accuracy in the case of a pure lazer but not so much a plsama bolt.
                    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                      Weill i would guess accuracy in the case of a pure lazer but not so much a plsama bolt.
                      True. Has tehre been any documented DEW fire from medium to long range?

Comment

True. Has tehre been any documented DEW fire from medium to long range?
                        Im not sure but i do know that the first of the US air FOrces 747s equpied with a lazer to be used to shoot ICBMs down from long range has been put into active duty.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                          Im not sure but i do know that the first of the US air FOrces 747s equpied with a lazer to be used to shoot ICBMs down from long range has been put into active duty.
                          I meant in the show.

Comment

I meant in the show.
                            Oh umm i dont think so. not one that worked anyway.

Comment

yeah i kno....and maybe more STINGER missile defenses...would have been great for EATG! geez Area 51...
                              Or some F-16s on a CAP at least. They may as well have put a big X on area 51 and said hit me!

Comment

Originally posted by tris 99 View Post
                                Or some F-16s on a CAP at least. They may as well have put a big X on area 51 and said hit me!
                                Like ive said before after 11 years of gathering tecnology and building what 6 intergalatic ships you would think they would have some kind of satilite defense system in place. Like they did in one episode of SG1 that the name and season escapes me. It was like an alternate realitty or something. any way by this point they could make them.

Comment

Working...
                                X