No announcement yet.

Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a simply fantastico film! Basically make a new missile system that is not so deadly, that the IOA won't be brought infront a council; yet strong enough to kick ass!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
      That was a simply fantastico film! Basically make a new missile system that is not so deadly, that the IOA won't be brought infront a council; yet strong enough to kick ass!!!
      yeah pretty much
      sigpic
      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        Very nice design, it has a feel of heavy bomber to me.
        Thanks, that's the type I'm going for. That's why I bevelled the hull plating out a little further than usual, to show heavy armour in situations where the shield might be down or fail. I still want this to be a reasonably large bomber, but not unwieldy like that other ship that I was designing. Sorry again for bickering with you lol, you were right about my other design having limitations and I was convinced that it didn't, so I hope I didn't come across as a moron haha. I was looking at it yesterday and thought "What was I thinking!"

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
        finger, your ship has changed for the better IMO. What race is it for? It has a look of an atlantean design and tauri...puddle jumper meets 304 nose.

I really like it!
        How big is it to be?
        That wasn't the intention at first, but I noticed the similarity to a puddle jumper too. I was using my sketch for that dragon looking ship I was doing, but it ended up looking like this when I left out all of the smoothing and such.

I can't decide on a length. I don't know whether to pursue a Puddle Jumper route and leave the basic shape as it is or to make what's there the head of the ship and throw on a body and tail.

I'm actually starting to lean towards leaving the shape as is and making this a Tau'ri built variant of a PJ.

Anyways, I'm thinking maybe 30-50 metres, so basically 100-150 feet.

The only problem is that if I do that, I didn't really leave any place for the cockpit window .

Originally posted by RJB View Post
        Finger13 - I'm really like where you are going with the design.
        I appreciate that, it was actually your pictures and models on Deviantart that got me interested in modelling.

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
        I like the horizon weapon in all but isn't that like a last resort? I mean seriously why would we need to simultaneously blow up 9 locations with separate nuclear bombs at once?
        That's what I was saying earlier. Bombers should be at least equally, if not more capable of surgical strikes than mass destruction. The Horizon is more of a speciality weapon than one that would be produced in large numbers IMO.

That being said, having the ability to wipe 9 cities off of the map in one shot is a capability that might come in useful in dire circumstances.

Then again, with the mentality of Earth, I can't see us using these weapons of mass destruction on anything but the Wraith or Replicators. We could have taken out the bulk of the system lord's ground forces and bases with our symbiote poison, but chose not to because of the Jaffa that it would kill. Apply that to a planet where the civilians are mixed with the military, and Horizon would be a Hiroshima all over again.

Hmmmm.. If you have seen Iron Man? I think that it should be like that, high orbit separation, and then utter rape of everything under it. Except with mini nukes
        We already have those though, they're MIRVs. I don't think that I'll be adding any new weapons that we haven't seen before, because if there's one thing that Earth does well, it's our bombs! My personal favourite is the cluster bomb. Utter ownage on a more manageable scale. I'll definitely be having those onboard for anti-personal/emplacement.

Tactical nukes are a smart way to go though. Small and puny 15kt nukes like Little Boy would still devastate chunks of cities, without wiping everything out in 50 miles lol.
        Last edited by Finger13; 10 December 2008, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Its the one thing i didnt think trough when i picked travlers expendable ordinance is a big nono

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

My little two cents

sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

My little two cents

Ouuu, I like those weapons. Nice details. I assume that they would extend upwards to fire horizontally from the ship? If so then that's what I have in mind, mounting those in a trench or something.

Railguns I assume? For point defense or bombardment?

Comment

Just a quick update.... hopefully i'll get some better pics of the rail guns up later today once i've actually had some sleep.

Spoiler:

OT- Anyone else not able to use the quickbuttons for the code? i've had to type the coding in by hand every time i've wanted to use any.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

So I didn't get much done on this tonight, despite working on it for quite some time. I tried several times to add a window to the underside of the nose, but none of the shapes really worked for me, so as of right now it's not going to have a bridge window.

I mean really, it's a heavily armoured spaceship. Everything that it does relies on computers and sensors. If a tank can operate effectively on land, driving through urban environments and engaging targets several kilometres away while looking out of a slit for a window and some cameras, then I think that this shall do fine with its suite of Asgard sensors and some cameras placed around the hull.

Anyways, I just added some detail to the nose of the ship, and I pulled down the sides a few feet to expose more of the centre's surfaces. I botched a few panels, but meh I will get to those later.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                    Ouuu, I like those weapons. Nice details. I assume that they would extend upwards to fire horizontally from the ship? If so then that's what I have in mind, mounting those in a trench or something.

Railguns I assume? For point defense or bombardment?
                    Thanks, I wasn't thinking about point defense but i was thinking about constant bombardment, those are three barrel mini-guns that fire at about fifteen hundred rounds a minute. I haven't yet decided if they are going to fire railgun rounds or small energy bolts(I couldn't think of another word to call them). And on each side there are missile silos that hold sixteen standard missiles. They rotate a complete three-hundred and sixty degrees on the y-axis and only about forty-five degrees on the z-axis

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
                    Just a quick update.... hopefully I'll get some better pics of the rail guns up later today once I've actually had some sleep.

Spoiler:

OT- Anyone else not able to use the quickbuttons for the code? i've had to type the coding in by hand every time i've wanted to use any.
                    Looking good Dr. Lee, but I am not sure I know what quickbuttons are. Are they keys on the keyboard you push to quickly load a tool or feature for a program?

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                    So I didn't get much done on this tonight, despite working on it for quite some time. I tried several times to add a window to the underside of the nose, but none of the shapes really worked for me, so as of right now it's not going to have a bridge window.

I mean really, it's a heavily armoured spaceship. Everything that it does relies on computers and sensors. If a tank can operate effectively on land, driving through urban environments and engaging targets several kilometres away while looking out of a slit for a window and some cameras, then I think that this shall do fine with its suite of Asgard sensors and some cameras placed around the hull.

Anyways, I just added some detail to the nose of the ship, and I pulled down the sides a few feet to expose more of the centre's surfaces. I botched a few panels, but meh I will get to those later.

Spoiler:
                    Hmmm, Its looking interesting, I do not know if it is me or not but the image is a little blurry, Are you using a different reconstruction filter?
                    sigpic
                    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Looking good Dr. Lee, but I am not sure I know what quickbuttons are. Are they keys on the keyboard you push to quickly load a tool or feature for a program?
                      the buttons just above the reply box on the reply to thread screen. annoyingly enough they sem to be working now

Rail guns-
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
                        the buttons just above the reply box on the reply to thread screen. annoyingly enough they sem to be working now

Rail guns-
                        Spoiler:
                        Oh I see, Well it is all good, anyways whats on the radar portion of the railgun? it seems white with little black specks.
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

it's a chipped white hull texture i've not fiddled with yet and got looking right. once i've got the ship ready to texture then i'll fis that

Comment

Hmmm, Its looking interesting, I do not know if it is me or not but the image is a little blurry, Are you using a different reconstruction filter?
                            I had soft filter on. I get mashing the different options looking for different results and forget to disable them haha.

Comment

Well done a bit of modelling today on the cock pit and got some seats in their, the portions looks wrong at the moment which I not sure how I am fix but the window looks better now I squared off, I will be putting plains of glass in tonight or after Christmas break.

cockpit.jpg

Going to do some landing gears tonight and hopefully finish them, Tomorrow will probably figure out how to rig them for animation. Anyone knows how to make extracted polygons have their own movable pivot point in cinema 4d.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                                Well done a bit of modelling today on the cock pit and got some seats in their, the portions looks wrong at the moment which I not sure how I am fix but the window looks better now I squared off, I will be putting plains of glass in tonight or after Christmas break.

[ATTACH]7326[/ATTACH]

Going to do some landing gears tonight and hopefully finish them, Tomorrow will probably figure out how to rig them for animation. Anyone knows how to make extracted polygons have their own movable pivot point in cinema 4d.
                                Hey I really like that cockpit. Nice attention to detail. Can't help you with Cinema 4D, but just thought I'd say that I really like the canopy and interior.

Comment

Working...
                                X