No announcement yet.

Pea shooters against Replicators - Outcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgive me if I am Wrong, and if this has already been posted...

But...

I don't recalls seeing one FN P-90 during the hunt for the replicator, Ronon had his energy weapon, and most of the other guys we're carrying shotguns...

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      Against a biological enemy it probably would have been a passable, if not ideal choice yes. Against a replicator though it was ridiculous. How much obvious physical damage to some guy made out of metal is a bullet that small going to do exactly?

They almost would need to treat him like more of small vehicle than a human. You can't just poke a few small holes in him or bust up his internal organs and expect him to go down like a living thing. You've pretty much got to blow him completely apart. Even a vehicle can be knocked out our destroyed by one good hit to the right location though so he's actually something even worse.
      Okay, let us think about it.

The size of the hole doesn't matter all that much for a biological target that doesn't suffer blood loss. A Replicator has no central nervous system or vital organs that could be damaged, nor an engine or a power source so it could be disabled like a vehicle. The only way for firearms to damage such a creature would be to chip away at it to cause massive loss of those little replicator blocks it's made of.

Question: can a small caliber weapon do it?

Answer: of course it can, given a high enough rate of fire.

Once upon a time, there lived a United States Prison Service, that wanted a weapon for its wardens. The idea was that the weapon should be good against living tissue (a.k.a. prison inmates), but useless against targets protected by body armor (a.k.a. riot control units) should it get into the prisoners' hands. And so they chose for testing a weird contraption of a firearm called American 180- a fully automatic weapon in a puny .22 caliber that hasn't the stopping power to bring down a mouse.

Imagine their surprise when those tiny .22 bullets launched by a "barely there" gunpowder charge managed to chew through bulletproof vests and concrete walls when fired at 1200 to 1500 rounds per minute. Talk about a cumulative effect.

Now, in our case, we are talking about a weapon specifically designed to penetrate body armor at over 100 yards. It might not have the punch of a 10 gauge shotgun per round, but it can chew through the Replicator at a fairly good speed, and it's easy to be accurate with.

My own choice there would have been a short-barreled, box magazine-fed semi-auto shotgun, something like the Russian Saiga 12K. But MP7, while less than perfect for the job, is still a somewhat viable choice.
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
        yes, rocket launchers and grenade launchers would of been better weapon choices
        But of course. Rockets, grenades and other high explosives are a wonderful choice for indoor combat where engagement ranges can be as close as 10 feet.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          But of course. Rockets, grenades and other high explosives are a wonderful choice for indoor combat where engagement ranges can be as close as 10 feet.
          it was not only indoor combat, they went outside on the tower, there was no civilians so it would be safe, i am not saying they only have rocket launchers or grenade launchers, but at least have them as a secondary weapon so if they are in the open you can use it.
          Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
          Anime signature in spoiler tag
          Spoiler:
          Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Time for that plot hole to fixed: Earth needs energy based hand guns.

If Carter can make the far more advanced ARGs, making mere guns should be a cake walk.

"Do we watch the same show???"

You get your zat out, and I'll bring my super solider weapons. I will kill you 99.99% of the time, that .01% is if you took me by complete surprise.

Zats are useless.

Comment

the only energy weapon that could have been used against the replacator was the ARW's (anti-replacator weapons) but he was made so to be resistant to current anti-replacator tecnolagey said Doctor Pool and the P90 is still a very effective weapon
              C. Edmund

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                Time for that plot hole to fixed: Earth needs energy based hand guns.

If Carter can make the far more advanced ARGs, making mere guns should be a cake walk.

"Do we watch the same show???"

You get your zat out, and I'll bring my super solider weapons. I will kill you 99.99% of the time, that .01% is if you took me by complete surprise.

Zats are useless.
                And you think that your super soldier weapon would have any effect on the rep, he would adapt quickly, or simply absorb the energy! Our primative weapons chip away at its cells wearing it down.

You take your super soldier weapon and il sit in the busshes or behind a rock a mile away and pick you off with a p90. Ever see the episode where we give jaffa p90's we convince them there weapons suck and ours are more effective. Also a p90 can spray a wide area with bullets with the flick of the wrist with its high rate of fire. Energy weapons much slower.

Also just because we have the asgard database dosent mean we are even close to understanding it, it took carter, prob smartest human ever! til about the end of her lifetime to figure out a lot of the tech to help them survive in the finale.

And using high powered loud weapons and helicopters or energy weapons is going to attract attention as has been said on here, including news agencies!!!! People with video camera cell phones!! Small tactical manuvers of our own tech is required.

Why waste money on building energy weapons when we can just take jaffa, asuran,wraith? If we need them, and we dont really need them anyway.
                sigpic

Surely you cant be serious, I am serious and dont call me shirly.

Danmit. What is it Oneil? I forgot to tape the simpsons .... Its important to me

Sir i think you have gone mad with power.
                Ofcourse I have, have you ever gone mad without power, its no fun, noone listens to you

Comment

it was not only indoor combat, they went outside on the tower, there was no civilians so it would be safe, i am not saying they only have rocket launchers or grenade launchers, but at least have them as a secondary weapon so if they are in the open you can use it.
                  That would have been a bad idea to use any explosive weapons as people would become intrested in what was happeneing and then they would have to explain why they were firing at an unarmed civilian and that is something the SGC, NID, and IOA would not want so they used less obvious weapons which I think was a good idea
                  Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                  A Face you Can Trust
                  sigpic
                  So whats the worst that could happen?
                  Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                  It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Energy weapons are dirt cheap to make (virtually anything else as well), use the Asgard replication device.

The Odyssey has a ZPM, to make 1 energy weapon the 'cost' of power would be so small, probably need to make 1,000 Trillion hand held weapons before the ZPM drains.
                    Yes but we arent going to pop out new staff weapons or Zats now are we? Other than Ronon's gun and kull warrior blaster we have no energy weapons. And kull warrior suits we have arent very numerous, its just 3. And they were trying to copy the tech, that would be Feldger's project and the X699. And our version is too big for field use.

Ronon's gun would be excellent. Far better would be Super solider weapon. And better would be a hand held version of the Asgard beam (slicing away anythiing, including replicators and Super soliders, personal shields, nothing is going to withstand that much concentrated raw fire power).
                    We can copy the asgard beams but to make it a hand gun would mean perfectly understanding the weapon which if it is the asgard's latest invention, as you always claim, it would be far out of our understanding. And Super soldier armor is inherently immune to plasma weapons by design it wouldnt do anything but hit it with KE.

Ronon's gun does have a slight charge time and if used to rapidly it depletes as seen in Travelers. rate of fire is slow, if replacing the 9 mm then yes do it but if your taking away P90s and M4s from soldiers giving them a hand gun instead with a slow RoF that is reckless.

Zats are useless in combat, very limited range, first shot stuns.
                    Its not intended to be used as a sniper rifle, its more of a hand gun. And it eliminates the threat first shot, if you wanna kill them fire the second shot. a hand gun does not garuntee you end the threat the first impact, or kill them in the second where a Zat gives almost 100% certainty of death in the second shot.

Energy weapons would do more damage or way more damage to Wraith, personal shields and possibly Replicators.
                    The bug like replicators were immune to energy weapons, the human form were immune to the same thing and the Asurans are human form replicators, Ronon's gun did nothing to the replicators in the return pt 2. Will not work. The staff weapons and Zats were just as useless on a GOULD personal shield as our projectile weapons.

Its called the X699, and its huge. Projectile weapons proved effective against enemy troops and bug reps trumping energy weapons. There was a need for making the ARG, and a energy based hand gun was not a priority when there are zats.

Zats are useless.
                    yet if you fail to hit a target in a vital place they still would probably stunned you and shot you again leading to your undoubted death. Quite reminiscent of another weapon we've seen called a machine gun where damage is caused but death or neutralization is not assured.
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Energy guns are cool; they pack a lot more punch than comparatively sized projectile weapons. But as has been said they are difficult to build and so on. I recon conventual firearms can do the job just as well all you need is some lateral thinking, for example the Barrett M468. It’s an upgrade of the M4/M16 family but has lost more stopping power with the same accuracy but more range. It dose this by firing a 6.8mm round not the small 5.56mm and can be fitted with all M4/M16 accessories i.e., M203 grenade launcher. It is also stealthy with inbuilt threads for silencers. It is also no larger than a standard M4 so it is still good in close quarters combat.
                      This makes it the perfect SGC Assault rife capable close up easy to use (assembly is no different to an M4) heavy fire power and long range capable.

Power of AK-47 + Accuracy of M16 + compactness of M4 = Barrett M468

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMpN_-pcas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M468

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                        Okay, let us think about it.

The size of the hole doesn't matter all that much for a biological target that doesn't suffer blood loss. A Replicator has no central nervous system or vital organs that could be damaged, nor an engine or a power source so it could be disabled like a vehicle. The only way for firearms to damage such a creature would be to chip away at it to cause massive loss of those little replicator blocks it's made of.

Question: can a small caliber weapon do it?

Answer: of course it can, given a high enough rate of fire.

Once upon a time, there lived a United States Prison Service, that wanted a weapon for its wardens. The idea was that the weapon should be good against living tissue (a.k.a. prison inmates), but useless against targets protected by body armor (a.k.a. riot control units) should it get into the prisoners' hands. And so they chose for testing a weird contraption of a firearm called American 180- a fully automatic weapon in a puny .22 caliber that hasn't the stopping power to bring down a mouse.

Imagine their surprise when those tiny .22 bullets launched by a "barely there" gunpowder charge managed to chew through bulletproof vests and concrete walls when fired at 1200 to 1500 rounds per minute. Talk about a cumulative effect.

Now, in our case, we are talking about a weapon specifically designed to penetrate body armor at over 100 yards. It might not have the punch of a 10 gauge shotgun per round, but it can chew through the Replicator at a fairly good speed, and it's easy to be accurate with.
                        It's got a 20 round mag as standard and a 40 round one optional. These guys had the 20 round one. How many of those did you want to carry again?

My own choice there would have been a short-barreled, box magazine-fed semi-auto shotgun, something like the Russian Saiga 12K. But MP7, while less than perfect for the job, is still a somewhat viable choice.
                        I'd just have given them a mix of M249s and auto shotguns. See if they can flush him out into the open so someone can peg him with a Barrett .50 or three.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                          That would have been a bad idea to use any explosive weapons as people would become intrested in what was happeneing and then they would have to explain why they were firing at an unarmed civilian and that is something the SGC, NID, and IOA would not want so they used less obvious weapons which I think was a good idea
                          it not that hard, after all they did cover up the explosions in space, the building getting destroyed by a "gas leak" etc
                          Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                          Spoiler:
                          Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

it not that hard, after all they did cover up the explosions in space, the building getting destroyed by a "gas leak" etc
                            Your vastly underestimating our tech age where anyone can be a media hub, a celeb goes out to dinner and withen minutes its all over the web and youtube etc, you think a helicopter flying around shooting, or men with rocket luanchers isnt going to bring a lot of attention?
                            An explosion in space is nowhere near comparable with earth. Anyone in space with a camera phone, i dont think so, only a few satalites and telescopes in the world capable of recording the real results, which would be easy to censor versus earth, where it is way more complicated.
                            sigpic

Surely you cant be serious, I am serious and dont call me shirly.

Danmit. What is it Oneil? I forgot to tape the simpsons .... Its important to me

Sir i think you have gone mad with power.
                            Ofcourse I have, have you ever gone mad without power, its no fun, noone listens to you

Comment

Yes because thats what Stargate Program needs more cover ups

Come on any use of explosives or high caliber weapons will draw attention no matter what you say to the public. So it you start shooting .50 cal bullets, rockets, or anything else then someone is going to hear it and then come the police, news reporters, or more civilians all of which you don't want when tracking a replictor
                              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                              A Face you Can Trust
                              sigpic
                              So whats the worst that could happen?
                              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

there are many ways to cover up explosions, such as terrorists or "gas leaks"
                                also when ever such a thing happens they always clear civilians out of the area, for celebrities people its a different story people with cameras are in the area, also with operations that can use .50 cals or rockets they will clear off sections so no one is there to witness it.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X