Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neutrino Ion Generators - better than ZPMs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
    What if ZPMs weren't the most powerful ancient power source? What if ZPMs are akin to our "AA" batteries? Hoho
    Why would the ancients use 3 ZPMs to power atlantis if they had a more powerfull energy source.

Also I think Rodney once said that he knew how to make ZPMs but he was limited by their technology. Perhaps both ZPMs and the asgard generators havetheir pros and cons, such as; you need a fresh supply of neutronium in the asgard generators but it is very efficient. Though the ZPMs give off a lot of energy they only have a limited life span.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
      This is all just based on assumptions with the facts available - after O'Neill got his head stuck into the Ancient repository for the second time 'round, he was able to devise a method to disrupt the kiron pathways between the replicator nanites. This suggested that the Ancients were already familiar with kiron-based technology, thus establishing the common link between Milky Way/Ida replicators and the Asurans, that both races have very similar, if not same, basic make-up.

So I think it's safe to say that because the Milky Way replicators needed neutronium to replicate themselves, and since the Asurans are nanite-based (probably kiron), they would also need neutronium for replication.

Well this could be difficult since we don't know how ZPMs are made. Remember in Unending Carter was able to modify the Asgard beam to synthesize basic materials such as food, oxygen and even Teal'c's tretonin because we know what those things are made of. Neutronium is just a heavy element most commonly found in the core of a neutron star, and it shouldn't be that difficult to replicate since it was so widely used by the Asgard. But then it brings about another question - why hadn't the Asgard tried this before?

Possibly because neutronium has some basis in power generation, why waste your power to make more power? Since using that molecular construction device is basically trasforming the raw energy into materials.

Vala,

Comment

It was specifically stated that the Asuran replicators can use organic matter for replicator, this was also seen when Weird was infected by nanites.
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

The replicators were spiders who evolved to nanite/human forms AFTER they found neutronium.

The Asurans were already built in nanite form.

Maybe the replicators just needed neutronium to make the step up, and the Asurans dont need neutronium.
          Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
            Also I think Rodney once said that he knew how to make ZPMs but he was limited by their technology.
            uhhhhhh.. source? I don't think this was ever mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
              uhhhhhh.. source? I don't think this was ever mentioned.
              I'm not sure on the source but I'll watch loads of SGA to try and find out.
              Best quotes ever:
              O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
              Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
              Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
              Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
              Thor:I like the yellow ones
              O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

ok the asgard beliskner class ship had 4 neutrino ion generators, now just think how powerful our ships would be if they had even 1

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                  The asuaran have organic components, the mw replicators do not, why assume they need one of the same materials when they have at least 1 different?
                  The Asurans are made out of nanites just like the MW ones. The only difference is that they use whatever element that the Lanteans had in Pegasus.

The Asurans can replicate using organic materials but that doesn't make them have any organic components. They are both machines, probably the Pegasus ones are far more advanced!

Comment

"Nanite" is a very broad term. "Replicator" is an even broader term, completely misused. Asurans are akin to replicators only by the fact they are comprised of microscopic autonomous machines inbuilt with artificial intelligence and root programming.

Neutronium was the basis for Asgard tech. Asgard tech being the most advanced in the galaxy (that was readily available) and was a natural next step for the spider replicators inbuilt with a drive to replicate and for self preservation. Asurans were built in microscopic form and grouped together much like living cells to best perform a function (eradicate the Wraith). The AI the Alterans gave them led the "nanites" to take the form of their creators.

The Alterans do not replicate to increase their numbers. They do not seek out more advanced tech to further their race. They use natural materials for their buildings/ships. They incorporate biological materials into themselves and can blend with biology.

The only reason to suspect a power source like Neutronium is in Pegasus is because of the laws of probability and nature, and that of the hazy history of the Alliance of the Four Races.

Comment

"neutrino ion generator" sounds a whole lot like something that would take neutronium, and take away a few elections (thus producing ions, and those elections probably become associated with some other ion) and, in the process, releases heat?

it sounds a bit more realistic than a ZPM, so I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478 View Post
                        "neutrino ion generator" sounds a whole lot like something that would take neutronium, and take away a few elections (thus producing ions, and those elections probably become associated with some other ion) and, in the process, releases heat?

it sounds a bit more realistic than a ZPM, so I like it.
                        ZPMs are so cool because they are so small (as long as you disregard the unrealism). The ability to hold that much power in your hand is much cooler than a big power core.

Slightly off topic, would the Asgard power core installed on the Odyssey require neutronium as a fuel then? Because as far as I remember it was never mentioned in Unending (correct me if I am wrong), and it wouldn't be much good if it ran out of neutronium. Kind of like a car limited to one tank of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
                          i don't remember hearing they're organic in nature, but all that means is that it's Carbon based...I don't have cable either, so I may have missed something...
                          Said it in te real world, they had trouble wiping out the nanites with an emp cuz they had organic parts, that was how wier beat them, with her pushing her immune system. It really was the center of the plot for an entire episode. Lol?

Comment

Thinking about ion neutrino generators, I wonder if it has anything to do with fusion.

Nuclear reactions such as those in the sun do generate neutrinos, and typical, what we find in the sun is ionized gas, plasma.

It could also be relative to antimatter. Maybe they have naqahdah/anti-naqahdah, or neutronium/anti-neutronium reactors?
                            Then the "ion" part could refer to, possibly, the super hot plasma waste contained inside the reactors?

The question would be where they stock the matter for such reactors?

If the stargates or Wraith culling system are of any indication, we know that large amounts of matter can be compressed and stored within confined small spaces.

It wouldn't make the generators more powerful than ZPMs - seriously, ZPMs are just completely insane power devices. But that would allow the Asgard reactors to generate high levels of power for long periods of time.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

anubis updred hatak seemed to of destroyed thors beliskner in that epiodes where his ship was destroyed(sorry forgot the episode)

zpms can last a heck longer and have mass energy which i think is far greater than the asgard ones
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LostCityGuardian View Post
                                ZPMs are so cool because they are so small (as long as you disregard the unrealism). The ability to hold that much power in your hand is much cooler than a big power core.

Slightly off topic, would the Asgard power core installed on the Odyssey require neutronium as a fuel then? Because as far as I remember it was never mentioned in Unending (correct me if I am wrong), and it wouldn't be much good if it ran out of neutronium. Kind of like a car limited to one tank of fuel.
                                They needed to use the ori's blast for power because the ship's ZPM & the asgard power core did not have enough power remaing to reverse time, so neither last forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X