Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, for what it's worth, Stargate SG-1 The DVD Collection 62 magazine gives a length of 200 meters, a width of 90 meters, and a height of 70 meters...the illustrator for the 304 in the magazine (the Odyssey in this case) is Hugh Johnson, who has done some official work for TPTB...how official that makes the statistics, I couldn't tell you but I thought I'd quote what it says.

That having been said, Stargate Atlantis The DVD Collection 70 gives different stats, though this time they're meant to be for the Daedelus...this time it gives a length of 225 meters, a width of 95 meters, and a height of 75 meters. These statistics are also illustrated by Hugh Johnson. Again, I don't know how official the stats are, but I thought I'd let people know what the magazines say.

Comment

200 meters for the lenght?
      That is very hard to believe, and makes the ship absurdingly small.
      Despite the inconsistency, not a single piece of evidence from the series ever pointed to such a small size.

I know there's been comparisons between Sheppard's F-302 exiting the D's hangar, but they were on other sites I think.
      Has anyone made a reliable F-302 measurement?

Besides, here's the stuff I did for the following thread: Everything you ever wanted to know about Hiveships/Wraith..

Measurements from Allies (1, 2) based on Daedalus' dimensions displayed there.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
        I know there's been comparisons between Sheppard's F-302 exiting the D's hangar, but they were on other sites I think.
        No, it was on this site (done by myself):

Originally posted by Einheitskanzler View Post
        I'm just building a model of the Daedalus and I was appalled that there aren't ANY useful information about the ship's size.

The easiest way to scale the Daedalus is via the F-302 because there are some nice shots of both ships and the scaling of the F-302 is not that difficult.

F-302:

This often used shot is nearly perfect because it shows the F-302 directly from one side but it's really bad for scaling because the FX-guys mis-scaled the Stargate. According to this compositing shot the F-302 must be 7,8 m in length because we know that the gate's diameter is 6,7 m; but look at the pilot's helmet: It's just 16 px long, so the helmet would be only 15 cm! Maybe a midget pilot? No! So the F-302 must be larger than 7,8 m.

This is an interesting shot because we see a F-302 prop. The guy on top of the fighter is O'Neill. We know that RDA is 1,87 m (imdb rocks!), with his boots he may be 1,90 m. So the main Fuselage (right red line) would be approx. 1,50 m in height:

According to this wonderful shot again and the knowledge of the fuselage's height (red lines) the F-302 is 11,20 in length:

According to another wonderful shot the F-302 has a wingspan of 21,50 m:

The Daedalus:

Well, now we know the F-302's wingspan of 21,50 m.

So the hangar doors must be 37 m wide. (This is not the only shot which shows a F-302 exiting the hangar but the other shots show exactly the same scale of the fighter and the door (approx. 1:1,7)

So the complete hangar pod is 78 m wide.

Here we have another perfect shot for scaling. The quality is not that great because I had to brighten the image.

According to this the Daedalus is approx 750 m (!) long. That sounds unbelievable and to big but it conforms with the statements that the Daedalus is some times bigger than the Prometheus.
        Note: The main fuselage (front) would be 48 m wide.

So we try to set it off:
        This is the main window of the Daedalus' bridge. Without the smaller side windows it may be some 2 m wide:

According to this image the main fuselage would be 41 m wide.

Really close to the 48 m! If we scale up the bridge window to 2,35 m we GET 48 m.

Just as well we can scale down the 750 m for a few percent. Due to the fact that there are ALWAYS inaccuracies in measuring it's safe to say that the Daedalus must be ~ 700 m in length.

EDIT:
        Thanks to AGT58's much better pic (post #98) I have to improve my "bridge window" calculation:

According to this the 2 m bridge window gives a 46 m fuselage's width, which is yet closer to the 48 m fuselage from the scaling via the F-302.
        So both the F-302 calculation as well as the bridge window calculation gives a 750 m Daedalus.

Comment

No offense, but you have the bridge in the wrong location. It was proven in "Unending" that the bridge is above and to the left of the neck of the ship. We got several good shots of various characters looking out at the Ori weapon. In the shots, if the bridge had been dead center, and practically sitting on the neck, then you likely could not have seen the Ori weapon.
          Spoiler:

Odyssey's bridge is definately not right behind the missile tubes and "groundlevel" with the tube hatches. I also highly doubt that the ship builders would have put the bridge on different places on different 304s. It also appears to be off-center, but as I don't have photoshop, I can't mess with the perspective like I want to.

I do believe that your estimates of dimensions are fairly accurate however, especially when based on the F-302s.
          Keep up the good work!
          Zatnikitelman
          When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
          Zatnikitelman

Comment

There are no accurate scales, the ones the CGI guys use vary for different shots, I don't know why people bother trying to work them out...

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
              No offense, but you have the bridge in the wrong location. It was proven in "Unending" that the bridge is above and to the left of the neck of the ship. We got several good shots of various characters looking out at the Ori weapon. In the shots, if the bridge had been dead center, and practically sitting on the neck, then you likely could not have seen the Ori weapon.
              Spoiler:

Odyssey's bridge is definately not right behind the missile tubes and "groundlevel" with the tube hatches. I also highly doubt that the ship builders would have put the bridge on different places on different 304s. It also appears to be off-center, but as I don't have photoshop, I can't mess with the perspective like I want to.

I do believe that your estimates of dimensions are fairly accurate however, especially when based on the F-302s.
              Keep up the good work!
              Zatnikitelman
              thats not the command deck, thats a normal room. you can see the command deck in the pic you posted. It IS in the center on the very back end of the neck.
              Visit my Website

Comment

I read on here that the special effects people said 750 meters.

Anyway, eventually we will build something far larger than air craft carriers.

Comment

That's right, the bridge is located right in the center of the neck of the ship, not in that tower, I believe that the engineering room is located there.

Vala,

Comment

Or they have 2 bridges like the WWO2 battleship's
                    One on the neck and the other in the tower

Comment

In the episode, when people are looking out at the Ori weapon from that particular spot, the camera occassionally turns around and you're looking at the bridge.
                      When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                      Zatnikitelman

Comment

Anyone has comparison pictures with F-302, from season 2's Intruder for example?
                        And what were the dimensions of the F-302s used in that case?

Sorry to ask, but it's necessary to get something solid.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                          thats not the command deck, thats a normal room. you can see the command deck in the pic you posted. It IS in the center on the very back end of the neck.
                          Originally posted by Xeon_1 View Post
                          Or they have 2 bridges like the WWO2 battleship's
                          One on the neck and the other in the tower
                          Either this or the Odyssey's bridge is located in the tower while the Daedalus' bridge is in the center of the neck. The pic posted shows only the Daedalus; we don't have any pic that shows the Odyssey's bridge right here:

So it may be possible that the Odyssey's bridge is located elsewhere. This may not contradict each other; the BC-304 constructors may have decided to relocate the bridge on the newer ships. The window pattern viewed from outside is the same:

Unfortunately we have no inside/outside pic which proves the bridge's location definitely, but in the following pics you can see that the computer in the left top corner is the same:

Last edited by Einheitskanzler; 29 September 2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
                            It was to my understanding that the Daedalus was a lot further away than the Hive.
                            No, the Daedalus came out of hyperspace almost exactly behind the Hive.

Comment

I never noticed the inconsistency with the location of the Odyssey's bridge in 'Unending'
                              I think this pic demonstrates it quite nicely.

Just to the right of Landry's head is where the bridge is located aboard the Daedalus, so it would appear that the bridge is indeed in the conn tower on the Odyssey. He is definitely on the bridge though as in the next pic you can just see part of the map that is at the back of the bridge right at the bottom of the picture.

Easiest explanation for me is that SFX guys cocked up (again) and put the bridge in the wrong place.
                              Easiest canon explanation is that there are two bridges on a 304 and that one just happened to have a better view of the beam.

Comment

Nice catch there, everyone. I know that I wouldn't of found that.
                                sigpic
                                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Working...
                                X