This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arkantos117 View Post
    How do they stop the plasma from dissapating in space, i skipped a few pages if this has been mentioned before, wondering if it's like in the Halo books, where they use magnetic fields.
    Some kind of self renewing magnetif field, like ball lightning, except in space.

Comment

If, by what I have read, I understand that you're talking about the Asgard weapons attached to the Daedilus, then a few things you first must assume before arguing: one-the weapon's energy blast is not visible by the naked eye. Most movies and tv shows use visual effects when none are plausible. Two, we must assume the weapon is a plausible weapon to be created.

With that said, its most likely a phasic weapon, not a shield draining weapon. It most likely travels in our dimension at far slower rates than its phased component, and exists in more than one quantum level dimension. When it hits the target, the phased energy hits first disrupting material at the sub-sub atomic level, before allowing the energy that is in our visible dimension to flow into the target. The reason why its affective is that the shielding of the Wraith ships and most other ships, are not multi-phasic and do not interact at the quantum level. This assumption of non-multi-phasic shielding is held to be true by two main examples. One; the shields are unusable in hyperspace, and two, they react only to highly accelerated objects (like the Gao'uld shields.)

Lets assume however your assumption is correct, and not mine. A plasmic stream (cold hot, isolinear, or fractalized) would still have to be contained with in an electromagnetic shell to be stablized into a beam. That EM field would be limited in both range and containment as the emitters would be forced to maintain the stream of energy to the target. What more, plasma its self does not make a good weapon, as it is neither stable enough, nor powerful enough in a single beam to cause damage. Not to mention that the EM field would hit what ever shielding is being used and would be disrupted.

My best guess its a highly focused photon stream that is phased in part.
      “None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

Comment

unnessecary bs.

maybe it uses magnetic plasma? we know magnetic materials like janus' door are extremely magnetic, maybe the beam is made of that?

beams dont travel slow. 304 beams do, oddy beam were shoot-hit within half a second.

my guess is a special form of plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
          I don't rightly know, it could just be an indicator if it's temperature.
          Could be. It'd be pretty hot, then. Alternatively, it could be due to ionization. In that case, spectral composition would indeed point to the type of plasma.

In either case, if you had actual spectrum, you could figure out what it is. If the plasma is hot, you'd be using black lines instead of the peaks in the spectrum. But this would have no impact on the color.
          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Do you think that there could be an alien race somewhere in the SG universe with a plasma weapon which is launched at point fifteen nine c?

And if so, what such a weapon's damage could be on the shields and materials we have seen in the show?

Comment

Depends on the mass of the plasma, if it was heavy enough, it would punch straight through a hull. As to shields, i imagine the standard yield versus shield strength thing applies.

Comment

A partially related question to my last one. Is it possible in StarGate to send a bolt of plasma into a similar FTL method as the Destiny travels, at least for a short period of time?

Comment

I'm going to make a guess as to "no". You would probably need a propulsion unit to keep something in FTL.

Comment

Why do you need a propulsion unit? I'm not talking literal FTL just Effectively Faster Than Light. All I want to do is to have an EFTL effect for about four seconds at the most.

Couldn't you make a short term EFTL effect with electromagnetic fields or some techno-babble like that?

Comment

All things are possible if the plot demands it. The reader's suspension of disbelief has it's limits however.

Comment

I don't think this is too far out of fictional possibility, so long as it isn't taken to extremes.

EDIT:

Mainly I wanted this so that ships could take advantage of the extreme standoff ranges that are possible in the nigh infinite void of space.

In my opinion the reason we don't see ships shooting at each other from extremely long ranges, other than it being more entertaining at close ranges, is because the primary powerhouse weapons for all seen races are fighters, limited range and duration, missiles, which have the same problems, and Plasma energy weapons, which are only effective for a certain distance which seems to be several hundred miles.
                        Last edited by Daryl Froggy; 05 April 2010, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Easy enough to fix. Turn those fighters into FTL capable gunships, mate them with some SEWACS, and throgh in some DSSVs.

In fact, read up on Hohne's Fighting Ships for some ideas: http://www.saveandromeda.com/allsyst...shipsindex.htm

It was initially mean for a different universe, but a lot of the ideas stand up well.

Comment

Is there a thread discussing the design of the F302? If so, where might I find it?

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

http://www.mnpctech.com/casemodblog/...cke/#more-3904

That has a lot of goa'uld and ancient influence

Comment

It is likely the uber beam works like a florescent bulb. The plasma beam is confined and bridges the distance between ships. The 304 basically pumps a lighting strike down the beam. The electric interface with the shield would facilitate frying the emitters. The beam itself would cook off ships hulls not unlike the evaporation of cables under short ckt conditions. The lightning strike could be a current of something nasty and not necessarily electron flow.

Comment

Working...
                                X