Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, how come Danny boy says the Ancients left earth between five and ten million years ago, and it says 3 million on the..... thingy on the first page.

Comment

Because in Atlantis it has been said they arrived left 3 million years ago, while the plague broke out between 5 and 10 million years ago.. So yes the ancients drifted for a few million years.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
        Because in Atlantis it has been said they arrived left 3 million years ago, while the plague broke out between 5 and 10 million years ago.. So yes the ancients drifted for a few million years.
        Does...not...compute.

Comment

I'm guessing that while the plague lingered for a very long time (maybe it struck 5 million years ago as opposed to 10?) That in the end, it brought a galactic civilization to its knees, which in and of itself is a very strange thought. Obviously the stargates allowed greater travel between the various worlds of the Ancients, and the plague that took them was designed for maximum damage. It was almost certainly an Ori plague, as it seems extremely difficult to believe that any disease could progress so far on its own as to take out the Ancients..! Aside from that, it was sort of implied that that was the case on SG-1. We know that it mutated over the course of its development making it harder to treat. I'm guessing that the Ancients might have suffered multiple attacks over the course of time being repeatedly inflicted with this plague. Eventually, apparently, this 'cold war' of attrition (did I spell that right?) wore the ancients down. I suppose maybe they figured out what was going on, and decided to simply leave the Milky Way to again avoid conflict with the Ori. So basically after a few million years of getting messed with, they decided to move on. Things started looking up in Pegasus, until the Wraith showed up and essentially did the same thing as the Ori, only on a more direct level. (War of Attrition) Then the Ancients returned to Earth, and then some of them left Earth for parts unkown. So technically, the Ancients could STILL be around somewhere. It just seems difficult to believe that any such technologically advanced people could just be wiped out completely.

Back to the original point, I'm guessing the Plague struck around 5 million years ago or so, and then after a few million years of combating it to little effect, they decided to pack it all up and head to Pegasus about 3 million years ago, and then after the disaster there, they headed back to Earth first and then to parts unkown 10,000 years ago.
          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

I have a question regarding puddlejumpers. Is this the correct place to ask? I did a search, but couldn't find anything.
            sigpic
            Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
              I have a question regarding puddlejumpers. Is this the correct place to ask? I did a search, but couldn't find anything.
              Ask away.

Comment

I'm guessing that while the plague lingered for a very long time (maybe it struck 5 million years ago as opposed to 10?) That in the end, it brought a galactic civilization to its knees, which in and of itself is a very strange thought. Obviously the stargates allowed greater travel between the various worlds of the Ancients, and the plague that took them was designed for maximum damage. It was almost certainly an Ori plague, as it seems extremely difficult to believe that any disease could progress so far on its own as to take out the Ancients..! Aside from that, it was sort of implied that that was the case on SG-1. We know that it mutated over the course of its development making it harder to treat. I'm guessing that the Ancients might have suffered multiple attacks over the course of time being repeatedly inflicted with this plague. Eventually, apparently, this 'cold war' of attrition (did I spell that right?) wore the ancients down. I suppose maybe they figured out what was going on, and decided to simply leave the Milky Way to again avoid conflict with the Ori. So basically after a few million years of getting messed with, they decided to move on. Things started looking up in Pegasus, until the Wraith showed up and essentially did the same thing as the Ori, only on a more direct level. (War of Attrition) Then the Ancients returned to Earth, and then some of them left Earth for parts unkown. So technically, the Ancients could STILL be around somewhere. It just seems difficult to believe that any such technologically advanced people could just be wiped out completely.
                Well i dont believe it was the Orii, personally i just dont buy it. They may have geussed it was the Ori, and it does fit, but we have no reason to assume this is the case, it could have been a natural virus, or it could have been from another enemy of the ancients. Ill admit that Dakara as a method to wipe out the population the ori had enslaved in an ancient war with them may have been a good plan, but we havent had any reason to suspect the Orii, there are no priors, no supergates, no knowledge that the Ori even ascended before the ancients did.. and the orii seemed pretty surprised we even existed, they had "shielded" the MW from the ori after all and if they ori had nkown about it, then they would have tired to invade along time ago.
                Back to the original point, I'm guessing the Plague struck around 5 million years ago or so, and then after a few million years of combating it to little effect, they decided to pack it all up and head to Pegasus about 3 million years ago, and then after the disaster there, they headed back to Earth first and then to parts unkown 10,000 years ago.
                That still doesnt make sense, because ayiana was present at the departure of atlantis yet if she had the virus then dakara should have killed her along with the rest of the ancients on earth. She didnt have the plague as far as we know but was left behind for some reason...why would they leave her behind if she didnt have the plague and why does she exist atall if when atlantis departed(which she witnessed) they were fleeing the plague and the iminant destruction of the galaxy by dakara...
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Has it occured to anyone that the Ori may have used the original plague as a template?

Ayana had the plague. That's the reason she was left behind. But did Atlatnis take off before or after Dakara fired?

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                    ... and the orii seemed pretty surprised we even existed, they had "shielded" the MW from the ori after all and if they ori had nkown about it, then they would have tired to invade along time ago.

That still doesnt make sense, because ayiana was present at the departure of atlantis yet if she had the virus then dakara should have killed her along with the rest of the ancients on earth. She didnt have the plague as far as we know but was left behind for some reason...why would they leave her behind if she didnt have the plague and why does she exist atall if when atlantis departed(which she witnessed) they were fleeing the plague and the iminant destruction of the galaxy by dakara...

The Ori certainly knew about the Ancients, but they did NOT know about the 2nd evolution of humankind as it was planned by the Ancients, and enacted long after they themselves had left this galaxy. Had they known that there was anyone left, they might very well have invaded earlier, but if they were left under the impression that either the Ancients were all dead and gone, OR that an advanced civilization was still very much alive, then it would have been pointless in both cases to invade this galaxy. One would have been a waste of resources, and in the other case, they couldn't be sure of winning on the physical plane with a race that was used to technology as advanced as could be thrown at them. However, they learned from Vala and Daniel that there WERE human beings in this galaxy and they were NOT sufficiently advanced to put up enough resistance that they even MIGHT win. It looked like a situation that was just ripe for exploitation, and so they did. Up till then, they couldn't be sure of what they'd face if they attempted to invade, and as such couldn't know if they'd win. After Daniel's and Vala's little visit, that all changed.

As to Aiyana, we don't know if she actually had the plague or not when Atlantis left, but she certainly had it by the time she was frozen for millenia. We still don't really know to what extent Dakara was actually used in the seeding of new life, OR even if there weren't some OTHER critical components to the reseeding plan of the Ancients. In fact, it seems likely that there might have been other machines to work in conjunction with the Dakara device, but we don't know that for certain. It is only speculation. In any case, the Dakara device was setup to work on very specific worlds, ALL of which had to have Stargates in order for the plan to work. In any case, Dakara was set to go to work long after the Ancients had left. Again, remember, Dakara did NOT affect the entire galaxy. If it had, it would have killed some of the other advanced races in the galaxy, such as the Nox, the Giant 'Mist' Aliens, and others. Really, we don't know specifically why Aiyana was left behind, but we have to believe it was for a relevant reason. She may very well have had the plague already, and the Ancients might have been able to slow the halt of the disease, even if they couldn't stop it outright. They might have even learned to create a vaccine for it, but just couldn't cure those already infected. Perhaps Aiyana got it, but couldn't be cured, whereas those that weren't infected yet could receive a treatment that would slow or halt the plague.
                    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Hi
                      I'm just wondering how the asgard beamweapons work exactly? I couldn't find anything in the omnipedia, so i figured this would be the place to ask.
                      sigpic

Spoiler:
                      Originally posted by IMDB
                      Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                      Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                        Hi
                        I'm just wondering how the asgard beamweapons work exactly? I couldn't find anything in the omnipedia, so i figured this would be the place to ask.
                        That's because the omnipedie's uypdates are few and far between these days, it seems to have fallen our of glory.

Anyways, the folowing is as much a thought experiment as anythign else, give me a break; I only have a few visuals to work with and one crappy on screen comment:

Facts:
                        -The beam is made of plasma- whatever kind is unkown.
                        -The emiter of the wepon is a parabolic dish like device capable of being mounted in a turret like fashion. Roughly the sise of a Stargate's event horizon.
                        -The beam creates a higly visible shimering whenever fired in atmosphere.
                        -The beam can destroy a Hive ship with three critical hits on major systems.
                        -The beam travels at low, possibly sub or just super sonic speeds.

Speculation:
                        -The beam may conduct a very powerful electric chrage, making it an efective shild draining weapon and possibly propagating throught a ship once hit (leting off miniature lighting storms which may expplain the 3 shotHive kill).
                        -The beam may use a self sustaingn magnetic field to maintain coherency.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                          -The beam is made of plasma- whatever kind is unkown.
                          couldn't the blue colour give some sort of indication? i don't have a clue myself, but some of the users here seem pretty good at this stuff.
                          sigpic

Spoiler:
                          Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                          Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                            couldn't the blue colour give some sort of indication? i don't have a clue myself, but some of the users here seem pretty good at this stuff.
                            I don't rightly know, it could just be an indicator if it's temperature.

Comment

How do they stop the plasma from dissapating in space, i skipped a few pages if this has been mentioned before, wondering if it's like in the Halo books, where they use magnetic fields.
                              Roses are red,
                              Violets are blue
                              And i'm going to kill you
                              Erm... Oogli boo?

Comment

it's surrounded by a plot shield
                                sigpic

Spoiler:
                                Hehe

Comment

Working...
                                X