This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Tyler
    Because "mini" nukes aren't very mini, and you'd have to make them by the tens of thousands (expensive) for them to take advantage of the rapid-fire aspect of the railguns.
    Actually, they ARE pretty mini. I present to you, the Davy Crockett.

They've got several pictures there but for those too lazy to actually click the link and look (you really should, it's neat).
    The XM-388 casing (including the warhead and fin assembly) weighed 76 pounds, was 30 inches long and measured 11 inches in diameter (at its widest point).

Comment

If Plutonium started disappearing I doubt even the President could stop everyone else from demanding to know where it's going.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28

They've got several pictures there but for those too lazy to actually click the link and look (you really should, it's neat).
        still a good few times bigger than a rail bullet. As for the mini nuke idea it would be very expensive and you would need alot of plutonium or urianum to do it pluse the power needed to excellertate that bomb for the effect is not worth it, better idea is to increase the speed of the projectile more than likely get more force on impact for the power needed to accelerate a mini nuke.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
        O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28

My NaqPos rail-bullet is effectively a mini-nuke. In "Singularity" we saw how destructive and powerful just one atom of naquadah and potassium can be when combined, so imagine if we put a 1000 atoms, or even 10,000 atoms of each (which would easy fit in a rail round) and sent them off rapid-fire at an enemy ship.

To address the concerns of safely handling a NaqPos round, as long as the two substances did not contact each other before we wanted them to they are perfectly stable. We know from "The Siege" that rail rounds are kept in 10,000 round magazines, and I'm sure we can design a safe and secure magazine that would minimize any risk. Besides, the round would be designed so that it would have to actually hit something before the naquadah and potassium would connect. I suppose if someone wanted to take a sledge hammer to a NaqPos rail bullet there might be a problem, but depending on what the rounds are made of that might not even set one off.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

come on,

Quantium torpedos
            Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
            (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by ancientaction
              come on,

Quantium torpedos

Quantium Torpedos are the best . To bad they can't have something simpliar in stargate .

Comment

You mean those flashy blobs of white light that do exactly the same as those orange flashy blobs of light?
                Well, given that a photontorp is rated with 64MT and a quantum only 50% better, thats rather pathetic compared to gate weapons.

Comment

well, there better than rail guns
                  (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Comment

The amounts of naquadah and potassium were microscopic, but I don't think they were as small as single atoms.

Comment

well, build railgun rounds with that stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by AsgardBob NoPants
                        The amounts of naquadah and potassium were microscopic, but I don't think they were as small as single atoms.
                        Even so, a macroscopic sample would still make a big boom.
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

and we make rail gun rounds with that, it'll do damange to just about anything!

Comment

naquada/potassium rounds sound like a good idea, because they basically are mini nukes. One end of the rail gun round is naquada (a very strong and heavy metal) and a small section of iron at the back with a few potasium atoms in it and when the shell collides with a solid object eg sheild or hull, it will crush in on its self (just like bullets do) and therefore making the iron enriched with potassium colide with naquada and AsgardBob Nopants is your uncle. But we should be asking ourselfs if naquada can be magnetised????

Comment

just make a shell out of it. the shell is magnetized, and the internal workings of the shell is what you descriped, front tip is naquadah, and rear end is potasim,

Comment

Have one rail gun shooting naquada pellets and another shooting pottasium pellets incapsulated in a jacket. Focus each railgun at the same point and when the bullets imbed into the same hole - boom.

Comment

Working...
                                X