Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Earth tech suck, when it shouldn't?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a gander:

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html
    "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Energy weapons are more efficient because you get the same amount of energy as the kinetic but you do not have to worry about the mass.
      Now would you kindly get out of your god's face.

Comment

Originally posted by Milleniumlance
        350mm Railguns firing tungsten cored shaped round [====]>.
        I'm just taking a guess, but I would guess that it would take as much if not more power use a 350mm railgun as it would to use a directed energy weapon capable of inflicting the same kind of damage. The size and maintenace of a 350mm railgun would make it much less practical to use than a directed energy weapon of equal power.

Comment

Not if it has been reverse engineered then we would know how to make and repair it. We don't go running to the asgard when there are problems with our ships shields and hyperdrive. Hermes is on the Daedelus just to make sure we don't abuse the technology.

Comment

Fired in space, a projectile's flight has minimal deviation and almost-zero attenuation, because of the absence of atmosphere and gravity. An energy weapon would still suffer from inefficiency and an energy beam or plasma bolt would probably lose power by radiating heat into space.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Plasma LOVES to expand, and with nothing to hold it together it would expand very, very fast. Trying to use plasma as a weapon is like trying to drown yourself by opening your mouth and looking up during a light rain.

Comment

i would suggest tht we make energy projectile weapons like the ancients drones. we've seen tht energy and solid object work best together.

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                  Thats because you have apparently NO idea what enough kinetic energie can do.
                  Its all a matter of speed and mass.
                  Exactly! Have you seen pics of what tiny flakes of paint do to the space shuttles especially the windows when they slam into them at 25,000Km/h

Comment

I agree with Prior of the Ori-we need to get that Plasma Cannon working! Surely if McKay or Carter took over the project they should be able to finish it...
                    Semper Vigilans!

Play www.stargatewars.com
                    +
                    Join the Adeptus Astartes

Comment

Originally posted by FNH USA P90
                      I'm just taking a guess, but I would guess that it would take as much if not more power use a 350mm railgun as it would to use a directed energy weapon capable of inflicting the same kind of damage. The size and maintenace of a 350mm railgun would make it much less practical to use than a directed energy weapon of equal power.
                      not exactually sure myself but to me creating the actual ammo as u do with an energy weapon then firing it seems like it would use more energy to me considering that with the rail round u only use energy accelerating it.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                      O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                        Plasma LOVES to expand, and with nothing to hold it together it would expand very, very fast. Trying to use plasma as a weapon is like trying to drown yourself by opening your mouth and looking up during a light rain.
                        Goa'uld weapons use plasma. The Goa'uld dominated the Milky Way before they met Earth and I don't think it was the railguns of the Prometheus that brought about the downfall of the Goa'uld. It was the simultaneous rise of the Jaffa rebellion and the all out attack of the replicators that brought down the Goa'uld. I say that to say that Goa'uld weapons have yet to fail them.

Comment

Yes, and the Goa'uld do ship-to-ship combat at a spitting distance.

I was talking about real-life science, in StarGate gravity doesn't affect the plasma.

Comment

you do realise we don't have naquahdah and naquadria reactors to just blow up whenever and where ever we feel like? They are valuable, you know

Comment

naquadria even more so considering we only know one planet which it is located on........

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Why do you bring real life physics into a debate about a fictional universe. If it was real life they wouldn't have hyperdrives.

Comment

Working...
                                X