This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amforster View Post
    There are a few minor holes in the above. Like when a Jaffa escapes through the gate and it deactivates chopping of part of his weapon (this cannot be explained) Also in Stargate Continuum. Baal drops a platform that does not fully exit the event horizon (it is seen to start way behind the gate) this is also impossible if one considers established wormhole physics.
    Also in the S1 E10 The Torment of Tantalus... In the archive footage Catherine's fiance steps through the gate wearing a diving suit with an air line attached... The gate shuts down while the line is still in the gate...

Comment

I think in some cases the SGC can shut down the incoming wormhole via pulling the plug as it were. Though that makes no sense as why else did they not do it during a gate siege, or the fact a wormhole should be powered by the dialling gate.
      Though that can't be the case, as the receiving gate needs some power to make the event horizon, etc. Yeah basically it's a plot hole.

Comment

In "Red Sky" SG-1 season 5, I do believe. Sam sent a malp through with a superheavy element to make the sky turn back to iuts origional state. she wanted it to stop right when it passed through the sun. She sent the malp through, and waited almost 5 seconds. How can a person step through the stargate and arrive on the other side? It takes almost 10 seconds for you to travel through the wormhole.

Comment

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
          the planet had may have been in the black hole by then rather than just orbiting it
          As explained in ''Exodus'' due to the time dialation time would be passing very slowly so the planet could still be in one piece

Originally posted by rob-ward View Post
          But then you end up wasting a perfectly good nuke to shut the gate down....
          I don't see why, they didn't need a nuke in ''A Matter Of Time''
          Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Actually it isn't a plot hole at all.

Under normal conditions -

1) The gate will activate when you dial out. Step through and the gate will then deactivate automatically as soon as the last bit of matter passes through (remember things have to move through as a whole in order to rematerialise on the other end)

2) If you have a radio signal on (and the gate can tell whether it is a signal and not just interference) then this will keep the gate on up to 38 min and will then deactivate whatever is happening.

Like when a Jaffa escapes through the gate and it deactivates chopping of part of his weapon (this cannot be explained)
            i think the reason why the bit of the jaffas staff weapon got cut off was because the sgc cut power to the gate idk.... and plus half the time when they have to wait the 38 minutes is because the other end send stuff through the gate like in SG1 Sokar sends a energy beam that slowly bends the iris to get Apohis back and in SGA season 5 the episode how rodney got the althiemers like disease there was water coming through the gate or SG1 the episode titled "watergate" the russians had nuclear powered M.A.L.Ps

Comment

Remember that the SGC computer skips most of the safety protocols of a DHD, so maybe that's why some of the inconsistencies exist.

Comment

Originally posted by skaaraismyman View Post
                ^I think the kawoosh would consume you first
                Well, I mean after that .

Comment

Well when they dial out from Earth I guess Walter or another techie turns off the power to the gate when they all go through. But for journey's from other planets I've got nothing.
                  Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I don't think it matters what planet the Stargate is on, all wormhole physics are the same no matter what planet it is on. Say you have a wormhole going from Abydos to Chulak. Just because the aren't from earth doesn't mean they can, say, be a two way wormhole.

Comment

But the shutting down of an open gate within the 38 minutes may be a safety protocol. Since Earth doesn't use most of them, there may be nothing to stop a gate being shut down while someone is passing through the event horizon. We've seen them shut off the power to the Earth gate before to shut the gate down.

Comment

Isn't that because the gate can take energy from the planet the wormhole is connected to?

Comment

I agree with Jedi master Bratac. We can shut it off once the team has gone through. When they are coming back perhaps they just cut the power ignoring yet another saftey protocol.
                          Some say that he has only one ear.
                          And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                          All we know is he's called
                          sigpic

Comment

Actually it isn't a plot hole at all.

Under normal conditions -

1) The gate will activate when you dial out. Step through and the gate will then deactivate automatically as soon as the last bit of matter passes through (remember things have to move through as a whole in order to rematerialise on the other end)

2) If you have a radio signal on (and the gate can tell whether it is a signal and not just interference) then this will keep the gate on up to 38 min and will then deactivate whatever is happening.

So in the situations where the gate does not close as soon as the last person goes through, then there is radio communication taking place. When it closes right behind them there isn't... SIMPLE...

This begs the simple question - Why don't the enemy bring radio transmitters with them that they can switch on to maintain the connection?

There are a few minor holes in the above. Like when a Jaffa escapes through the gate and it deactivates chopping of part of his weapon (this cannot be explained) Also in Stargate Continuum. Baal drops a platform that does not fully exit the event horizon (it is seen to start way behind the gate) this is also impossible if one considers established wormhole physics.
                            *nods*

From SG1 4x07 Watergate:
                            Spoiler:

Sam: Can you shut off the drone's transmitter from here?
                            Dr.Svetlana Markov: Why?
                            Dr.Svetlana Markov: Well even though the wormhole only allows matter to travel one way we are able to send radio signals back and forth.
                            Dr.Svetlana Markov: You think the drones radio transmittor is what's keeping the gate open?
                            Sam: That gate won't close if the drone is aiming a strong enough signal directly into the event horizon.
                            Dr.Svetlana Markov: And the energy being emitted by the water has allowed the gate to stay open this long.
                            Sam: Exactly. It's a combination of factors but all we have to do is shut off the drone.

And in one SG:1 ep, I forgot which, was in season 3 or 4 - Jack said he'd hold the door open (or something like that) and holds his hand in the event horizon until the last person made it through.

And from what I remember, they made a few modifications to the Stargate like when they implemented the hand device and iris.
                            You always hear Hammond yelling, "shut it down!" and the gate shuts down.
                            I'm sure if our SGC figured out how to implement modifications, that other SGC's could.
                            The times it wouldn't shut down was when there was some kind of interference keeping it from doing so. And when they had to wait the full 38 minutes was when someone else dialed in and kept the gate active so nobody could dial out.

As far as when the SG team passes through to another planet and the gate shuts down behind them, well if the SGC can shut it down when the team comes back TO SGC, I'm sure they can shut it down when they leave and arrive at another planet. They created the wormhole.
                            They've been able to track how long it takes for them to make it to another planet. "They should arrive at "so-and-so planet" in 5, 4, 3, etc." And you'll see that tracker device moving along the points to the planet.

The Jaffa's staff weapon, if there really wasn't a reason for the gate snipping the end off, seems to me it was more of a "dramatic effect" than a plot hole.

Anyway, half asleep now. Hopefully I'll still think this made sense in the morning

/end_2c
                            Save Atlantis Forum
                            TheAmberCafe.com Free Classifieds

Comment

The instant gate closing has always annoyed me, darn plot holes...

Comment

I have a questuion.

what is the Diameter of the Event Horizen of the Stargate?
                                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Working...
                                X