This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey folks!

I'm looking for some information for a bit of fiction that I am considering writing. Has it ever actually been established in the Stargate canon what happens to matter passing through the wormhole the wrong way? As in:

Gate A dials Gate B. If someone goes through Gate A they come out of Gate B. But if someone goes back through Gate B, what happens? I know that matter transmission is only one way, but that energy can travel both way. Some people I talked to swear up and down that something going back through the B gate would be instantly destroyed provided it entered the gate entirely before being pulled back. Support for this is the MALP being destoyed after falling back through the gate in "1000 Days"

Other folks have said that if you go through the wrong side, you'll be spit back out the same side. That would be embarrasing, but you wouldn't be dead, so that's a good sign. Support for this comes from part 2 of "The Tok'ra" where Sam and Jacob aren't sure if they've dialed out or the Goa'uld have dialed in, so they risk going through... something that you might not do willy-nilly if you had a 50% chance of non-existence as a result.

Anyway, if that wasn't enough of a mind bender, what happens if you go through the back side of a gate, whether the sending or receiving gate? Also destruction? And if so, why not, when the NID and funding agencies were complaining that the Stargate program didn't provide anything, why not offer to solve the world's garbage problems by shoving an entire landfill's worth of crap through the back end of our gate?

Right, how's that for enough brainteasing?

Comment

As for going back through Gate B, the general consensus is disintegration. Permanently. This is canon because the only time we've actually seen something try to go back, it's been destroyed. "Maybes" aside.

Going through the wrong side, my personal opinion is this: The wormhole mouth only opens one way, so you can't go through, but you still intersect the disintegration field on the event horizon generated independently by the Gate, so you're disintegrated but not sent through the Gate, leaving you stuck in the pattern buffer where you'll be erased during the next dialing sequence.
      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Also if you went through gate a or b through the back you would be disintergrated and little particals of you would be scattered through sub space.
        Spoiler:
        Originally posted by daredevil-k's signature using the quote
        god damn daniel what you done this time!!nice gunahh crap it's an alien.... oh wait it's just jonasyeah it's sam to save our buttsahh crap light sabers!!!she's drunk but how....?hahahaha weaklinghe's way to happyshe's very angry... run!!!ahh what... oh it's just a replicator.. crap!!this is obviously creepyrun like the butt-head you are!!creepycool and smooth hammondmckay you just blew up half a solar systemten hut don't get in teal'cs way to many guns sam's got a gou'aldmckay's always like this

Comment

Hi all. I've been watching and catching up on both series for the last year or so now and here are a few questions I have:

1. Is there an episode that directly addresses the One-Way rule? I'd like to hear the explanation for it because people do stick body parts in and pull them back out again with no ill-effects.
          Edit: nevermind...just read the above Q&A's

2. Is there an episode that has anyone jumping into a horizontal gate? I'd love to see them shoot out into the Gateroom at the SGC as their gravitational orientation changed. Or for that matter have them enter a world that has a horizontal gate...I suppose they'd fall right back in. Hmmm...I think I'm drifting toward the game Portal here...

3. Does anyone else like listening for Canadian accents?
          Last edited by DocOc; 04 May 2009, 11:31 PM. Reason: Found the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by DocOc View Post
            2. Is there an episode that has anyone jumping into a horizontal gate?
            Yes.

http://gateworld.net/sg1/s1/105.shtml
            http://gateworld.net/sg1/s2/214.shtml
            http://gateworld.net/sg1/s5/510.shtml

Though it's never shown what happens on the other side. Of course, since "2001" showed the gate being turned on its side to use to transport grain, one assumes that there is another gate on its side positioned above another ship or in a storage facility waiting to collect it as it falls.

Or for that matter have them enter a world that has a horizontal gate...I suppose they'd fall right back in.
            There is an episode where O'Neill is trapped on a planet after a meteor shower buries the gate. The SGC dials in and creates a pocket in the rubble. They send a MALP, but it stops transmitting almost immediately. The gate is on its "back" and the MALP fell back into the event horizon as soon as it passed through and is lost. Teal'c goes through later with a piton gun to hold himself to the surface and prevent himself from falling through.

The implication is that if you fall completely into the open wormhole, you are lost.

Comment

OK, I suppose that makes as much sense as anything. You're getting loaded up into the buffer, but if you load all the way, the gate has nothing to do with you but delete the data because it can't send you upstream through the wormhole.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                There is an episode where O'Neill is trapped on a planet after a meteor shower buries the gate. The SGC dials in and creates a pocket in the rubble. They send a MALP, but it stops transmitting almost immediately. The gate is on its "back" and the MALP fell back into the event horizon as soon as it passed through and is lost. Teal'c goes through later with a piton gun to hold himself to the surface and prevent himself from falling through.

The implication is that if you fall completely into the open wormhole, you are lost.
                Of course, this episode also broke the "discreet units" rule of transportation.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                  Of course, this episode also broke the "discreet units" rule of transportation.
                  Hush you!

Comment

Well, the Torment of Tantalus is also sorta screwed up too. Old guy with a rope on his back anyone?
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Yup. (Only he was young and dashing then. )

And technically it's Atlantis that screwed up; the others were first.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                        Yup. (Only he was young and dashing then. )

And technically it's Atlantis that screwed up; the others were first.
                        Dashing my foot. Really, they should write down somewhere how the stargate works (TPTB I mean) and reference it anytime a conundrum comes up. But, then again, that's what we're for.
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone else like listening for Canadian accents?
                          Im with ya!!
                          Spoiler:
                          god damn daniel what you done this time!!nice gunahh crap it's an alien.... oh wait it's just jonasyeah it's sam to save our buttsahh crap light sabers!!!she's drunk but how....?hahahaha weaklinghe's way to happyshe's very angry... run!!!ahh what... oh it's just a replicator.. crap!!this is obviously creepyrun like the butt-head you are!!creepycool and smooth hammondmckay you just blew up half a solar systemten hut don't get in teal'cs way to many guns sam's got a gou'aldmckay's always like this

Comment

Originally posted by daredevil-k View Post
                            Im with ya!!
                            I do talk to myself....that counts, no?

sigpic

Comment

yes and no, yes if you talk to her yourself, no if your mentally insane (llike me =))
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Insanity is nice.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X