• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, it is a plot hole.

It never really bothered me either.
    sigpic
    Don't touch Lola

Comment

The writers left that question unanswered, so that they could change it every week. When there's bad guys pursuing the team, the Gate closes right behind them. When they need to evacuate a village - the Gate remains open for 38 minutes. Don't we all love the wonderful world of television
      "The clowns? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!"

Comment

I've often thought that it is strange, and it happens more then you think. My answer...............nope got nothing.

Comment

There could be an ascended ancient like St Peter at every gate, who opens and closes it when necessary.

Temp0ral.

P.S. I am only joking, it has never really bothered me.
          sigpic

Comment

When ever a gate is opened a random number generator spits out a timeout length, if nothing comes through during the randomly selected timeout length then the gate closes. It's just a massive set of coincidences that it always closes with perfect timing.

Comment

: plothole: GW needs to make a little sign holder thing like that anymore, like the sign...

Comment

I figured it must have been something of the sort. lol
                *Tealc with plot hole sign*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

I've always wondered about that too. Hmm...
                  sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Maybe the gate have some advanced sensors? You know, something like in that SG-1 episode when they first saw the Asgard doing that IQ test or something - first appeared Thor, human with beard and stuff, and then Asgard Thor. Maybe not that ep., but sometime around that there was shown advanced Asgard tech that could decide like human...
                    I like my explanation better that :tealcWithPlotholeSign:
                    sigpic

Comment

You see someone holding their arm in the gate whenever they need it open for a long time.. Or atleast in most episodes.

- Why SciFi when you can have SciFun? -

Comment

simple: the gate can read minds

Comment

I think it's kinda like the zat. It closes whenever the writer's want it to close.

sigpic
                          Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Actually it isn't a plot hole at all.

Under normal conditions -

1) The gate will activate when you dial out. Step through and the gate will then deactivate automatically as soon as the last bit of matter passes through (remember things have to move through as a whole in order to rematerialise on the other end)

2) If you have a radio signal on (and the gate can tell whether it is a signal and not just interference) then this will keep the gate on up to 38 min and will then deactivate whatever is happening.

So in the situations where the gate does not close as soon as the last person goes through, then there is radio communication taking place. When it closes right behind them there isn't... SIMPLE...

This begs the simple question - Why don't the enemy bring radio transmitters with them that they can switch on to maintain the connection?

There are a few minor holes in the above. Like when a Jaffa escapes through the gate and it deactivates chopping of part of his weapon (this cannot be explained) Also in Stargate Continuum. Baal drops a platform that does not fully exit the event horizon (it is seen to start way behind the gate) this is also impossible if one considers established wormhole physics.

Comment

it seems to have to do with both ends though . the dialing end and the recieving end . for example when daniel was out of phase in crystal skull he stepped through just as the gate closed . and complained to walter. well he kinda turned around and said HEY!!! as if it was his fault . even though T had dialed in from the other end

Comment

i know its rubbish it took me like 10 seconds on paint.

Comment

Working...
                                X