This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Three PhDs
    No it didn't. If my gun can shoot accurately to 100 metres, and my neighbour's can shoot accurately to 500 metres, does that tell us that obviously there are two types of gun? Could it not simply be that my neighbour has a better sight than me?
    Yes it does, you said that it can shoot accurately to 100m's, while the neighbours can go to 500m's accurately. Therefore you have implied in your own sentence exactly that!

Ashamed that you come from the same country as me!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
      Here's the part you're not understanding: The Goa'uld have intergalactic hyperdrives, because any hyperdrive can allow one to travel between galaxies. The hitch is that it'll take you a LONG time.
      Pretty sure I understand it fine, I think it's you who ain't understanding. So tell you what, I'll put my money where my mouth is.

Read the post below, DIRECTLY from Martin Gero himself.

Read This

Thought so!

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
        Okay... A 'Hyperspace Window Generator' is just another name for 'Hyperdrive', and NOT a seperate technology. Just as a 'Warp Field Generator' is a 'Warp Drive', and NOT a seperate technology. Got it? No?
        You are correct in that a hyperdrive and a hyperspace window generator are functionally the same, but there is ONE difference. A Hyperdrive can only be called a Hyperspace Window Generator if it is compact enough to fit inside a fighter.
        sigpic

Comment

Where do you people get this from!? The Hyperspace Window Generator is only part of the hyperdrive. (Although it's probably the only part, it's still just part.)
          This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

It's not mass that decides whether or not you will experience time dilation, it's your velocity.
            Well to be fair mass DOES cause time dilation too, but in this instance you are correct.

Yeah, but given the size of the solar system, and that relativistic effects increase exponentially as speed increases, we'd be seeing more pronounced effects on the show with the PJ.
            Not necessarily. As someone already noted, it takes light about 5 hours to reach the orbit of pluto. Even assuming that the satellite was that far out and going from a distance like the orbit of earth and you still only add a few minutes. They could go about 1/4-1/3 c and still make it to the satellite that quickly. As I've already demonstrated, relativistic effects at those speeds are still pretty negligible.

Nope, to you on the ship things would appear normal. You would cover the 90 light years in 90/0.9 years = 100 years. However, if you left Earth in 2005, flew out 45 light years then came back to Earth, you would return in the year 2212.
            I recommend reading on the twin paradox. Specifically, I would suggest reading this section
            Originally posted by wikipedia
            Consider a space ship going from Earth to the nearest star system; 4.45 light years away; at 0.866 c. The above image shows the ship with its 0.5 length contraction. To an observer on Earth the trip will take 5.14 years, producing a round trip time of 10.28 years.

However, to the ship's crew the stars and the distance between them will be shortened in the direction of motion to 0.5 of what is observed on Earth, resulting in a travel distance of only 2.23 light years and a corresponding 2.57 year travel time. This produces a round trip time of only 5.14 years. Thus the ship's crew would experience less time than those on Earth.

If one of the astronauts on the ship had a twin that stayed on Earth, he would return home to find his brother about 5 years older than himself.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDot
              Where do you people get this from!? The Hyperspace Window Generator is only part of the hyperdrive. (Although it's probably the only part, it's still just part.)
              We've only ever heard the term 'Hyperspace Window Generator' used in reference to the F302's FTL engine.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                Yes it does, you said that it can shoot accurately to 100m's, while the neighbours can go to 500m's accurately. Therefore you have implied in your own sentence exactly that!

Ashamed that you come from the same country as me!
                Fallacy of the false dilema.

Originally posted by Avatar28
                Not necessarily. As someone already noted, it takes light about 5 hours to reach the orbit of pluto. Even assuming that the satellite was that far out and going from a distance like the orbit of earth and you still only add a few minutes. They could go about 1/4-1/3 c and still make it to the satellite that quickly. As I've already demonstrated, relativistic effects at those speeds are still pretty negligible.
                I was just pulling figures out of the air regards the journey across the solar system etc, as I didn't intend to come to an exact figure, merely point out that for journeys at sublight speeds of any real value, time dilation starts to become apparent

I recommend reading on the twin paradox. Specifically, I would suggest reading this section
                Erm, because what I just said wasn't an explanation of the twin paradox?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                  Anybody know the difference between the two? Is there one?

Hyperdrive has always been the term used to describe faster than light travel on SG-1, but recently on Atlantis they have used the term stardrive to describe the intergalatic engine that is on Atlantis.

It was mentioned in both Critical Mass and The Tower... So is there a meaningful difference or have the writers just begun to use a new term for the same thing? And are purposefully trying to confuse me?

Ace
                  The difference is the size of engine. In order to fly Atlantis you will need something that can move a whole cty the size of Manhatten.
                  Remember you are moving a City not a ship. Therfore you are going to need a Stardrive Engine. Not just that you aren't going to just cruz around in it. It is used to go to other galaxies not systems.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                    Here's the part you're not understanding: The Goa'uld have intergalactic hyperdrives, because any hyperdrive can allow one to travel between galaxies. The hitch is that it'll take you a LONG time.
                    Pretty sure I understand it fine, I think it's you who ain't understanding. So tell you what, I'll put my money where my mouth is.

Read the post below, DIRECTLY from Martin Gero himself.

Read This

Thought so!
                    I'll assume you're refering to this quote:
                    Originally posted by Martin Gero
                    2. The Daedalus has intergalactic capabilities…the Prometheus does not…so we get the Daedalus.
                    And here's where you, and Martin Gero, are wrong: If you can travel through space, at any speed, you can travel to other galaxies. The difference is it takes a lot of time, which I already explained, but you seem to have ignored that.

A Goa'uld Ha'tak travels at ~32,000c. It can definately travel to other galaxies with no problem at all. It will just take a lot longer than the Daedalus would take (years instead of days).

When they say "intergalactic" they mean that it travels faster than the "interstellar" hyperdrives. To reinforce this point, O'Neill was able to "upgrade" a Goa'uld Tel'tak from interstellar to intergalactic by moving some crystals around and shooting the hyperdrive with a zat.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the Goa'uld have intergalactic drives that are running at interstellar speeds because they don't understand their own technology.

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                    The difference is the size of engine. In order to fly Atlantis you will need something that can move a whole cty the size of Manhatten.
                    Two words: Inertial Dampners.

Six more words: Atlantis isn't the size of Manhatten.

Remember you are moving a City not a ship.
                    Anubis' ship is roughly the same size as Atlantis, and I didn't see him having any problems getting around the galaxy. I know Atlantis has one of those "intergalactic" drives, but that just means it's fast.

Therfore you are going to need a Stardrive Engine. Not just that you aren't going to just cruz around in it. It is used to go to other galaxies not systems.
                    That sounds like a sales pitch...

Buy the stardrive, because its the fastest and bestest hyperdrive around!
                    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Anubis' ship is roughly the same size as Atlantis
                      What? Where did you get THAT idea from?
                      sigpic

Comment

Lots of conflicting views on the original question... though it seems a few of you got off topic, it appears that nobody has one set theory.

Some say it is a sublight engine, others say it is a better and faster hyperdrive, another said that it wasn't a hyperdrive at all but a device to fold space around itself.

Very confusing... I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to not have a clue as to what the difference really is. Please continue to try and find an answer, maybe somebody will stumble upon it.

Ace
                        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                          What? Where did you get THAT idea from?

That picture is a previs render of Atlantis from the episode Rising. It was shown in the Atlantis special Preview to Atlantis.

If you look closely in that picture, you'll see a 747 sitting on the deck of Atlantis. I haven't scaled Atlantis yet, but from what I've heard through the grapevine, it's about 3 kilometers in diameter, which would fit the scale shown in that picture nicely.

Here is a picture of Anubis' ship with a bunch of Ha'Taks surrounding it (from Full Circle):

Now from every scaling of a Ha'tak I've seen, a Ha'tak is about 650-700 meters in diameter. Anubis' ship, in that picture, is roughly 5 times that diameter when you include the pokey things coming out of the side of his ship. So:

Anubis' ship = ~3-3.5 km
                          Atlantis = ~3 km

Like I said, they appear to be about the same size.
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Anubis's ship can't fly to the PG.
                            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Based on my understanding of Ancient Tech, a Stardrive could be:

A device designed to enable a metric ton of feathers to fly as well as a metric ton of lead can.

Warning: This post is not meant to be taken seriously.
                              Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                                Lots of conflicting views on the original question... though it seems a few of you got off topic, it appears that nobody has one set theory.

Some say it is a sublight engine, others say it is a better and faster hyperdrive, another said that it wasn't a hyperdrive at all but a device to fold space around itself.

Very confusing... I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to not have a clue as to what the difference really is. Please continue to try and find an answer, maybe somebody will stumble upon it.

Ace
                                Sure I do. You just have to go back and read it. I had hoped there wouldn't be any confusion by the time I finished explaining it... A Hyperdrive is just ONE kind of Stardrive, among many. What is so hard to figure about that? Just like a Beech tree, and an Oak tree, are both trees, but not the same kind. See? easy.
                                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Working...
                                X