Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offence, but are you people stupid? The danger to the Earth is not posed because there's a big building in a mountain in Colorado Springs, it's because there's a stargate in a big building in a mountain. "Move the SGC off Earth" won't mean a damn thing in terms of improved safety if a gate remains on Earth. I mean c'mon now, you're not all so blind as to have missed that glaringly obvious point? Right?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
      No offence, but are you people stupid? The danger to the Earth is not posed because there's a big building in a mountain in Colorado Springs, it's because there's a stargate in a big building in a mountain. "Move the SGC off Earth" won't mean a damn thing in terms of improved safety if a gate remains on Earth. I mean c'mon now, you're not all so blind as to have missed that glaringly obvious point? Right?
      Um, have you noticed that they installed an iris on the Earth gate, which means they can accept only the signal from the Alpha Site. Then the Earth gate will only dial the Alpha Site.
      Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
      Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
        Um, have you noticed that they installed an iris on the Earth gate, which means they can accept only the signal from the Alpha Site. Then the Earth gate will only dial the Alpha Site.
        Then why move the SGC to another site, why not just rely on the iris if it can protect against threats? Not that it mattered in Redemption...

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Then why move the SGC to another site, why not just rely on the iris if it can protect against threats? Not that it mattered in Redemption...
          Because if you have been watching, there are alien races with space ships, that can destroy earth from orbit with out using the gate.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

And you think that if more of our staff are at the Alpha site they'll think "Let's not destory the Earth gate!"

<mod snip>
            Last edited by Major Tyler; 16 December 2005, 08:49 PM.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

And you think that if more of our staff are at the Alpha site they'll think "Let's not destory the Earth gate!"

Idiot.
              I'm not saying they won't destroy the Earth gate, but it will minimise the danger.

Comment

Yeah, what's keeping anyone from just marching up to Earth and blowing it up, gate or no gate/SGC or no SGC?

Besides, what's going to happen if, as I said, there is something happening at the Alpha Site and you can't gate to it, does that mean you're stuck off world?

Comment

There Would be absoulutly no point to it, as many people have already basically said it would not stop any alien incursion/invasion.
                  It would just be a waste of time and resources.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEL NAK GUY
                    There Would be absoulutly no point to it, as many people have already basically said it would not stop any alien incursion/invasion.
                    It would just be a waste of time and resources.
                    If the Earth gate only accepted travelers from the Alpha Site gate, it sure would minimize the risk of incursion/invasion.
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

It only accepts iris codes which is basically doing the exact same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEL NAK GUY
                        It only accepts iris codes which is basically doing the exact same thing.
                        Not exactly, cause they would be running all the SG teams and other operations at the Alpha site instead of Earth. This would be a good quarantine for plants and so forth before sending them to Earth to determine if they're okay.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
                          Not exactly, cause they would be running all the SG teams and other operations at the Alpha site instead of Earth. This would be a good quarantine for plants and so forth before sending them to Earth to determine if they're okay.
                          Not only that but we also would have been aware of the plague before it reached Earth.

We already have an Alpha site. We already have a protocal in place for when certain bad things happen. When Earth is shot down everything is diverted to the Alpha Site until further notice. So all we would have to do is change it so all activity goes through Alpha and the Earth Gate is for returning home and going to work like people in the Navy. They go out to see for a couple of months then come home for awhile. But you will step through the gate for a couple of months then come home for a couple of weeks.

I think it can work but then it would take away from the show.
                          *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                          *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                          *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                          *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                          *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                          *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                          *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                            Not only that but we also would have been aware of the plague before it reached Earth.

We already have an Alpha site. We already have a protocal in place for when certain bad things happen. When Earth is shot down everything is diverted to the Alpha Site until further notice. So all we would have to do is change it so all activity goes through Alpha and the Earth Gate is for returning home and going to work like people in the Navy. They go out to see for a couple of months then come home for awhile. But you will step through the gate for a couple of months then come home for a couple of weeks.

I think it can work but then it would take away from the show.
                            Exactly, that's why I think it might be better to have it this way. If a plague or virus is in a plant or something spreads, the general public isn't in any danger cause it's on another planet.

Comment

Well we got to look at history here.

Season 1 esp 1. The SGC was placed where it is for a few reasons.

1. No other known safe planets
                              2. Moth balled Full operations with security system.(no cost to build new ones)
                              3. We had no idea whats on the other side, and the amount of resources required to operate such a program.

Now look at us today.
                              1. Still on Earth, while the threat is not from some guy walkthrough through the stargate, but from a fleet of warships descending on earth.

2. SGC is a 7 billion dollar operation, you rather spend money on researching new technology then maintaining a off-world base.

3. The Most Dangerous of research and operations are conducted off-world, with only "safe" things brought back. You got to read the spoilters for season 9 to know more.

4. Infrastructre, even if we were to find a new alpha site and build it, the infrasture requirements for a SGC operation would be insane. You would have a small city supporting the SGC.

5. The Stargate is merely a tool of transportation, our presence in intergalatic war and politics is our main problem.

Comment

Plus, what about reinforcements?

On Earth, even if the gate (or gateroom) is inaccessible or can't be used. They can get reinforcements there to help secure. But on another planet, they wouldn't neccessarily want or need to have all those extra people stationed there doing nothing.

Plus, while it's more dangerous on Earth, they can get anything they need delivered to the SGC in a hurry. If they were on another planet they may not be able to use the gate to get it there. Wether it be too big or the gate can't be used for it.

While it's more dangerous to have it on Earth, the logisitics would seem to make it nearly impossible to operate at the same lever anywhere else but Earth.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
                                24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
                                Both heavily admined.

Comment

Working...
                                X