This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chachi
    Screw that Wraith regeneration, too. I'd like to see them try and fix a hole in their cheast the size of a dinner plate.
    Lol!! Thats feckin Hillarious, best laugh all day!

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
      The harness I've got is basically a pair of old laptop bag straps, a couple of D-rings, and some cable ties.

The harness used on the show appears to be a custom job, made by the props department. There was a guy in the States who was making them, but each one was hand made and cost a three figure sum.
      However, all is not lost - the closest thing I can find to the SG-1 chest harness at a reasonable price, is called the Chalker Tactical Sling. Available from USMC Ltd. www.usmcpro.com
      Nein! The Chalker is different. This is the P90 Sling

I think the core of the question on wether or not the P90 should be effective against Jaffa is to look at their armor. the P90's bullet is designed to defeat KEVLAR at up to 200 yards. Kevlar is very different from plate armor (which I believe the Jaffa have). Plate armor requires a very heavy, very fast projectile to defeat it, whereas kevlar requires a slippery (read teflon coated), small projectile, due to how kevlar catches a bullet and dissipates its energy into the weave. These are facts, and judging by these facts, the P90 should be a piece of trash against Jaffa armor. This is a relatively moot point of arguement, however, because TPTB have allowed the Jaffa to get ripped apart by the small CQB bullet of the P90.
      NO! NO! NO! Kevlar works by dissipating the energy accross a wide area. It works in principle like pillow. When this occurs the concentrated energy is spead over a larger area meaning there is not enough energy concentrated to penerate. Now the only way to increase penetration is to increase energy to to focus it and keep there. Enter tungsten cored bullets. Coating a bullet with Teflon, WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT increase it's AP performance. The myth arose out of the truncated cone shaped tungsten KTW bullet that was coated with it. During testing they found the hard tungsten and the high velocity wore out barrels faster than standard cupro-nickel jacketed bullets so the answer was to decrease friction using Dupont's handy little chemical.

Secondly, Jaffa armour appears to be (unless otherwise stated by the show) standard forged steel plate, and far from the 1/4" thick ballistic steel plate in LIII armour. I'm guessing it will be alright out to 200m, as it's virtually flat trajectory out to that range implies a good velocity still exists.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
      - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Originally posted by Panther

NO! NO! NO! Kevlar works by dissipating the energy accross a wide area. It works in principle like pillow. When this occurs the concentrated energy is spead over a larger area meaning there is not enough energy concentrated to penerate. Now the only way to increase penetration is to increase energy to to focus it and keep there. Enter tungsten cored bullets. Coating a bullet with Teflon, WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT increase it's AP performance. The myth arose out of the truncated cone shaped tungsten KTW bullet that was coated with it. During testing they found the hard tungsten and the high velocity wore out barrels faster than standard cupro-nickel jacketed bullets so the answer was to decrease friction using Dupont's handy little chemical.

Secondly, Jaffa armour appears to be (unless otherwise stated by the show) standard forged steel plate, and far from the 1/4" thick ballistic steel plate in LIII armour. I'm guessing it will be alright out to 200m, as it's virtually flat trajectory out to that range implies a good velocity still exists.
        Can this site that you gave be trusted??

Comment

I don't see why it can't.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"

Comment

I'll cede that you might be right about the kevlar-defeating ammunition, but you are wrong about the principle of Kevlar. The weave of kevlar actually grabs onto the spinning bullet, and as the consecutive layers of kevlar twist, it dissipates the energy over the whole area of the armor. There's no "pillow action." [sarcasm]Hell, if there were, you better believe that the Bank of America robbers back in the mid nineties would have stolen a bunch of hotel pillows first and strapped them on before walking into that bank. [/sarcasm]

Also, I still don't think that the P90's ammunition would have enough energy to punch through even 1/4 inch plate. I'm supposed to get an AR-15 in a few weeks, so I'll test that .223 ammo (yes, I know it's different, but it should actually have more energy behind the bullet) on the 3/8 inch plate targets (a little more hefty, but we'll see what happens).

-Chachi
            Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

Comment

Bah. WTF was I saying. I should learn to get some freaking proper-o sleep. You right completely how Kevlar works, it's just you description of how one penerates the armour is erroneous.

No the P90 won't penerate 1/4" steel plate because that's Theat Level III while the P90 can penerate Threat Level IIIA kevlar. Steel plate used on most plate armour have thickness of about 0.5 - 1.5mm. That's nothing to stop a bullet and Jaffa armour save for the upper shoulder plates look about the same. The upper part could probably be of composite construction since metal that thick is just too heavy to be practicable.

Comment

The AUG A3

Soon to go head to head against the XM8 for the next generation standard issue rifle for the US armed forces. It comes from the battle proven AUG line with the few problems of the AUG series ironed out.

Its Bullpup. The XM8 with stock fully extended is 838mm. The Aug with the 18" barrel is 455mm. The XM8 fully retracted its STILL longer then the AUG. And it has a REAL 18" barrel for accurate fire on the battlefield. And I wonder if they could make the stock folding or telescoping...it looks like you have the room to play with, which would just make this weapon perfect.

Sling attachments built in, comes with iron sights, STANAG capable, complete standardised rail interface system (which isn't anything like as prone to failure as the M4/M16 one), translucent magazines (note to everyone, never say the C word around Panther...its just not cool!). And look how evil it looks with the M203 grenade launcher...

Jaffa = pwned.
                --
                The Stargate Technology Centre

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Farrell

The AUG A3

Soon to go head to head against the XM8 for the next generation standard issue rifle for the US armed forces. It comes from the battle proven AUG line with the few problems of the AUG series ironed out.

Its Bullpup. The XM8 with stock fully extended is 838mm. The Aug with the 18" barrel is 455mm. The XM8 fully retracted its STILL longer then the AUG. And it has a REAL 18" barrel for accurate fire on the battlefield. And I wonder if they could make the stock folding or telescoping...it looks like you have the room to play with, which would just make this weapon perfect.

Sling attachments built in, comes with iron sights, STANAG capable, complete standardised rail interface system (which isn't anything like as prone to failure as the M4/M16 one), translucent magazines (note to everyone, never say the C word around Panther...its just not cool!). And look how evil it looks with the M203 grenade launcher...

Jaffa = pwned.
                  Believe it or not thats a variation on the Irish Current standard issue.

Comment

Still one big problem with bullpups. You can't switch shoulders to fire the gun. The FN F2000 is still the best bullpup out there.

Comment

If I could have one of the stargate guns in real life, I would have to pick an intar. Then I could shoot people without going to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Unamed
                        Believe it or not thats a variation on the Irish Current standard issue.
                        The Styre AUG is a standard issue weapon all around the world. Austria, Australia, Irland, many places have taken the weapon. The AUG-3 is a prototype varient on that design.
                        --

Comment

Still one big problem with bullpups. You can't switch shoulders to fire the gun. The FN F2000 is still the best bullpup out there.
                          Pft, minor problem compared to the problems it sovles. And I'd take the AUG-3 over the 2000 anyway frankly, it just has the technology down pat.
                          Of course I'm right handed so I may be biased

Besides. There are ways to shoot around corners....

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publ...e_002409.shtml
                          --

Comment

Yes I've seen the OAVD. But:
                            a) how do you expect to be accurate with the rifle in this position?

b) What if you have to shoot from a corner which curves right?

i.e. and your are # and a right hander?
                            -------------------
                            ******-----------
                            *****#|
                            ******|
                            ******|

and lastly it is far from a minor problem. Why do you see a lavishly funded unit like 1st SFOD-D still using the M4, or hell why the new SOFCAR, the FN SCAR?
                            Last edited by Panther; 02 July 2005, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Just some Irish Defense Force pic's:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24...rve_forces.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/metllica/army3.jpg

Comment

I think they need to implement more .50 cal sniper rifles, like the M82, so they can show the Jaffa (or Kull warriors, or Wraith) who's boss at 2500 yards. I don't care what you're wearing (besides a personal energy sheild), you're going down if you get hit with a .50. Screw that Wraith regeneration, too. I'd like to see them try and fix a hole in their cheast the size of a dinner plate.
                                Exactly except i would shoot em in the head, it guaranties they are dead because there head would most likely explode, that would be so cool to see a Wraith's head explode
                                Last edited by Col. Newman; 02 July 2005, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X