Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, instead of a buckyball we could use a nano tube, which is still fullerene just instead of a ball it is rolled into a cylinder, this might be better as a projectile, in fact we might have to tie a whole bunch of them together, they might be to light. But we could still make it work. Well, yes I was wrong you weren't mistaken. This definetly has potential.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
      Lol, instead of a buckyball we could use a nano tube, which is still fullerene just instead of a ball it is rolled into a cylinder, this might be better as a projectile, in fact we might have to tie a whole bunch of them together, they might be to light.
      Well, I wasn't advocating firing only one matter/antimatter-filled buckyball at a time. I would fill the round or the shell with as many as would fit. Conceivably we could even design the ordnance so that the fullerene would stay together to concentrate the explosion, or so that the buckyballs would be released before impact and spread out the explosion like pellets from a shotgun shell.

Using nanotubes would work, too...in particular, multiwall nanotubes would allow us to put more than one substance in a single tube if we had any reason to do so. Alternating the matter and antimatter in each tube (whether it be simply carbon or supercritical carbon dioxide) would ensure that there would be an equal amount of matter and antimatter in each rail-fired round. When it comes down to practicality, I'm not sure if buckyballs would be easier to handle than "buckytubes," but it's worth looking into.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Well on the other hand we could put together a fullerene sturcture as large as a projectile, on an atomic scale it would be huge, you would probably need billions if not trillions of carbon atoms.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
          Well on the other hand we could put together a fullerene sturcture as large as a projectile, on an atomic scale it would be huge, you would probably need billions if not trillions of carbon atoms.
          I'm not sure how difficult it would be to create a fullerene on such a large scale, but at this point I imagine it would be more trouble than it was worth. Also, when it somes to flexibility, fullerenes only give us two choices for shapes and structure (that we know of). If we stuck with using many C540 buckyballs, for instance, we could put them in any kind of ordnance or object that we wanted. It's not like we are loosing anything by using multiple buckyballs rather than just one large one. In fact, on the off-chance that a fullerene did rupture accidentally, the collateral damage might not be as devastating.

Comment

Anubis, I think it was Anubis used Ancient tech to block Tollan Phase-Shift Technology weapons, so if you were going to use phase shift weapons on Wraith Ships considering the defeated the Ancients it is likely that they would also have shields that repel phase shift technology.

Also as for using nanotech tubes, Shepard destryed the nano virus in Atlantis with a crude EMP from a overloaded Naquda generator, so any advanced civilisation such as the wraith would have quick and effective ways of neutralising Nanotech, probably still with a concentrated EM field.

Comment

Originally posted by Star_Lord
              Also as for using nanotech tubes, Shepard destryed the nano virus in Atlantis with a crude EMP from a overloaded Naquda generator, so any advanced civilisation such as the wraith would have quick and effective ways of neutralising Nanotech, probably still with a concentrated EM field.
              We are talking about fullerene "buckytubes," not "nanotech tubes" in the way that you are describing. Fullerene is, fundamentally, just carbon...EMP would have no effect on it.

Comment

Ya you are right, a fullerene structure of that magnitude would be stupid to try to make it would be incredibly flimsy unless rinforced and probably rupture easier.

In response to Star Lord: You are right, it is relativley simple to defend against phase shifting technology, extend your shield inter-phasaly, however the wraith only beat the ancients because of their brute force and numbers, thier technology was far inferior, in fact we don't even know if they have shields, yet if they could extend them between phases.

Major Tyler is right about the other point, the way I said it did make it sound like nanotechnology though. I appoligize.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Star_Lord
                  Anubis, I think it was Anubis used Ancient tech to block Tollan Phase-Shift Technology weapons, so if you were going to use phase shift weapons on Wraith Ships considering the defeated the Ancients it is likely that they would also have shields that repel phase shift technology.
                  Anubis used ancient technology to make it so that tollan Ion canons couldn't penetrate it on there phase shifting tech

Comment

Sorry that thing with nanotubes was my fault.

I realised you were refering to fullerene nanotubes but didn't have time to reply with a correction.

As for using Antimatter/Matter Reactions
                    If the target had shields than the reaction would have to be timed to avoid simply hitting the shield and be destroyed as they are still solid weaponry not energy weapons. Since you are talking about using it in a rail gun like projection system this timing would have to be precise to avoid slamming the projectile in to any shields that exist if they exist.

If the Wraith have so little advanced technology that they don't have basic shield systems, wouldn't you say that it would be unlikely that they would have weaponry capable of destroying very advanced Ancient Warships? They have stated that 1-1 an Ancient ship is superior yes but we don't know how many Wraith ships it takes to beat an Ancient ship so they may have more advanced Technology than we know of, including shield systems.

Comment

maybey the anchents lost becasue they didn't have the stomach for war an they never had that much to fight with in the first place. an they simply left an it had nothing to do with how good their technology is

Comment

Originally posted by Loaf
                        maybey the anchents lost becasue they didn't have the stomach for war an they never had that much to fight with in the first place. an they simply left an it had nothing to do with how good their technology is
                        That would be a subject for a different thread. This thread is discussing possible weapons systems for BC-303s and the Daedalus.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Lord
                          As for using Antimatter/Matter Reactions
                          If the target had shields than the reaction would have to be timed to avoid simply hitting the shield and be destroyed as they are still solid weaponry not energy weapons. Since you are talking about using it in a rail gun like projection system this timing would have to be precise to avoid slamming the projectile in to any shields that exist if they exist.
                          I'm sorry, I don't see your point, the projectiles would hit either the shields or the ship at mach 5+ they would rupture and the fullerene structures within would also, releasing the anti-supercritical carbon dioxide and supercritical carbon dixode, they would be imediatley attracted to eachother and the mutal anhilation would take place, causeing multiple massive explosions which are so concentrated they would apear as one large explosion. The energy released from the explosion would be released in all direction either doing significant damage to the shields or significant damage to the ship itself.

Owen Macri

Comment

why not mount some anti matter warheads on some drone wepons

Comment

Originally posted by Loaf
                              why not mount some anti matter warheads on some drone wepons
                              Because drone weapons can kill anything and they don't need antimatter.

Comment

i don't think One drone weapon could destroy an entire hive ship. even a small anti matter warhead should have the power a meduim sized nuclear weapon

Comment

Working...
                                X