Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I distinctley remember good old Jack keeping his hand in the event horizon to keep the wormhole open so the rogue NID would come through and based on what I know of the gate it must have accepted at least part of him - heres a nice sub section question that I cannot answer for the live of me - If it's one way then why do radio signals get through?

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Gav
      I distinctley remember good old Jack keeping his hand in the event horizon to keep the wormhole open so the rogue NID would come through and based on what I know of the gate it must have accepted at least part of him - heres a nice sub section question that I cannot answer for the live of me - If it's one way then why do radio signals get through?
      When Jack put his hand in the event horizon, it was demolecularized, but not transported into the wormhole or the other event horizon yet. This registered on the 'gate computer, which kept the wormhole open. As for the second question, I read the answer to it in the Stargate SG-1 FAQ. Matter can only go one way, but radio signals and CO. can come on back.
      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
      LANDRY
      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
      Mmm... Green...

Comment

I believe you've all missed the question. The simple answer is... you just come out through the gate on the other planet. We've seen SG-1 go through OUTGOING wormhole hundreds of times, why would they die
        Originally posted by Sue_Jackson
        What would happen if a person goes through an outgoing wormhole?
        Now if it were an incoming wormhole that would be a whole other story...
        My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
          I believe you've all missed the question. The simple answer is... you just come out through the gate on the other planet. We've seen SG-1 go through OUTGOING wormhole hundreds of times, why would they die

Now if it were an incoming wormhole that would be a whole other story...
          LOL, too funny. While it would be normal to go through an outgoing wormhole, trying to go through an incoming wormhole would be problematic at best.

Best situation: It doesn't let you enter the event horizon.
          Worst situation: It dematerializes you like the 'Ka-Whoosh' does.
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
            Best situation: It doesn't let you enter the event horizon.
            Worst situation: It dematerializes you like the 'Ka-Whoosh' does.
            I think it's reasonable to assume the Ancients incorporated some kind of safeguard to prevent the "worst situation" from occuring. They put in other safeguards...it's hard to believe they'd forget one this obvious.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

We know wormholes are only one. So he wouldn't actually pop out on another palnet. There are three options:

1) He gets vapourised/atomized/bad things happen.
              2) He goes straight through the event horizon and remain on the smae palnet.
              3) The event horizon repluses him so he cant go through. (he flies backward)

personally I think 1 or 3 are the most likely but beleive whatever you want.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

Hmm... maybe you can't go through the backside and repelled. There's no reason to put a back plate on, it'd be a waste of materials and could easily be toppled over in a storm! ... and maybe the flushing helps determine which is the front! The Ancients probably put safe guards because they probably had a form of Murphy's law.

Comment

Originally posted by SG Zero
                  Hmm... maybe you can't go through the backside and repelled. There's no reason to put a back plate on, it'd be a waste of materials and could easily be toppled over in a storm! ... and maybe the flushing helps determine which is the front! The Ancients probably put safe guards because they probably had a form of Murphy's law.
                  Ya think?
                  Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

I forget what the Ep. name was, but when O'Neill was stranded on Eudora, The SGC sent a MALP through the gate, which promptly fell back into the event horizon and was destroyed, since the gate was on its side.

I think O'Neill kept a wormhole open with his hand that one time by simply not walking all the way out of the wormhole. All he'd have to do is come through slowly and not remove his hand, and then the wormhole would stay open since it hadn't reassembled all of the incoming traveller.

Comment

I don't know if this has already been said but the ancients probably had a failsafe, maybe they would pop out the same end they entered (like bouncing a ball against a wall) and maybe it only works for people for some odd reason, or the malp died because the gate wasn't connected to the dhd (if i remember correctly) and it takes it's own energy for it to work
                      Those who know the truth must rise up boldly and be a light into the darkness, if the truth bearers stay quiet, then the lost are already gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Macharius0
                        I forget what the Ep. name was, but when O'Neill was stranded on Eudora, The SGC sent a MALP through the gate, which promptly fell back into the event horizon and was destroyed, since the gate was on its side.
                        Yes. The MALP fell back down, and was destroyed. No one knows exactly what happened to the MALP, but I think that the most popular theory is taht the MALP was demolecularized, and the molecules just helped power the wormhole.

Originally posted by Macharius0
                        I think O'Neill kept a wormhole open with his hand that one time by simply not walking all the way out of the wormhole. All he'd have to do is come through slowly and not remove his hand, and then the wormhole would stay open since it hadn't reassembled all of the incoming traveller.
                        For 38 minutes, that is.

Originally posted by ColonelWilliams
                        I don't know if this has already been said but the ancients probably had a failsafe, maybe they would pop out the same end they entered (like bouncing a ball against a wall) and maybe it only works for people for some odd reason, or the malp died because the gate wasn't connected to the dhd (if i remember correctly) and it takes it's own energy for it to work
                        Nice theory, but I dont think that the DHD is connected to the event horizon.
                        JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                        VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                        MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                        LANDRY
                        : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                        Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                        Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                        Mmm... Green...

Comment

^ is a Googlebombed post.

XMC-10-182
                          Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

If your body and any contecting matter completly passes through the event horizon of an incoming wormhole, you will cease to exist as matter, you will be dematerialized, not demolecularized, and your energy, will be released into the Stargate itself, being a giant superconductor. O'Neill kept the gate open with his hand so that the bad guys wouldn't be able to go anywere else. However, if there is an object in past the event horizon of an incoming worhole, but it is not completly past the event horizon, and the power source, is disconnected from the Stagate manually it will cease to exist.

Owen Macri

Comment

Well since the event horizon isn't actually the mouth of the wormhole (It couldn't be, the gravity'd turn you to spagetti and there'd be no need for energy conversion and pattern storage), I liken popping in the wrong side to putting paper in the scanner upside down, exept the paper is a human body and the scanner actually rips it apart atom by atom and shoots them through a wormhole. It wouldn't work, and you'd sure be sore in the morning...
                              [email protected]
                              http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                              One nation under dog
                              There of which I stand alone
                              A face in the crowd
                              Unsung, against the mold
                              Without a doubt
                              Singled out
                              The only way I know

Comment

Actually you would be non-existent, as you know you, in the morining. The event horizon would dematerialize you and the energy would be released into the stargate itself, being a superconductor.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X