Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They wont advertise it too much I don't think. There are more people watching it in the US than we have as an entire population. It's not a huge ratings winner for 7 so they don't hold it in much esteme. They realise that some people do watch it but not enough for it to be a priority for them.

As far as ratings are concerned Stargate is no Friends or Frasier (I realise they are on a different channel) but notice how drawn out Friends was by channel 9, how they kept showing repeats and had a massive advertising campaign for the show's final? No chance of 7 putting much effort into Stargate advertising. Even when they show what's coming up on a Thursday night they have Stargate listed as being on at 9.30 but they never ever mention it by name, instead they verbalise up to 8.30 then stop.

Comment

So... they'll show Atlantis during the non-ratings season? Hmm... that'll suck. They'll probably release the boxset in the US by then.

What about Foxtel? What season are they up to?

I think the lesson here is, Sci-fi never sells well in Australia.

What we need is a really cool scifi movie to do really, really well in the box office. Kinda like the Starwars of this generation (not the prequels). To make it acceptable (for a lack of a better word) to the mainstream public. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
        So... they'll show Atlantis during the non-ratings season?
        no, i thought we'd established that they are planning to show it during the ratings season. the ratings season is from february to september. they're planning on showing atlantis soon.

Comment

Originally posted by soulblade64
          no, i thought we'd established that they are planning to show it during the ratings season. the ratings season is from february to september. they're planning on showing atlantis soon.

Well i haven't seen atlantis avertised here yet but i heard that its coming in Feb
          Try and have as much fun as you can ... you'll never know how long it will last

Comment

So... they'll show Atlantis during the non-ratings season? Hmm... that'll suck. They'll probably release the boxset in the US by then.

I think the lesson here is, Sci-fi never sells well in Australia.

What we need is a really cool scifi movie to do really, really well in the box office. Kinda like the Starwars of this generation (not the prequels). To make it acceptable (for a lack of a better word) to the mainstream public. Does that make sense?
            Exactly. Sci Fi is seen as too geeky or nerdy here. People rarely admit they watch it, and it definately has no "value" in Australia.

You're right we need a huge Sci Fi movie (we've been needing one for years in my opinion - and Star Wars isn't cutting it), to bring Sci Fi back into acceptable viewing limits.

Foxtel? No idea sorry. I have a strong aversion to paying to watch TV, it just doesn't sit right with me.
            Last edited by Nathan; 02 January 2005, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Well if these reported good ratings for SG-1 are true, maybe they'll put a little more faith in Atlantis.

Though, what I think has happened is that Seven have got stars in their eyes. They've seen these great ratings for Atlantis in the US and gone "OMG! This will be huge!", forgetting that Atlantis got huge ratings on the Sci-Fi Channel a channel all about Sci-Fi and related things, so, naturally, with it's target audience paying for the channel it'd better be bit. Seven is free to air, and it's not a sci-fi channel, so I think they're kidding themselves.

And I in no way mean to deminish what Atlantis has achieved, ratings-wise, it's done phenominally well, but a pay-cable channel all about Sci-Fi is a completely different story to a free-to-air Australian commercial channel run by untrained monkeys.

BYE
              "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

monkeys!! hehe!! that's the truest thing i've ever heard about 7 lol.

~~Close To Crazy~~
                Psychotic Kitten
                'we can all read between the lines'

Comment

Lol

Comment

Channel 10 manages to advertise for the 4400 and Battlestar Galactica, they even got Jamie Bamber (Apollo) and Tricia Helfer (Six) to do that 'seriously ten' thing and push the blue dot.

Comment

According to the TV guide and the shorts from last week, we'll be seeing 'It's Good To Be King', thus missing out 'Prometheus Unbound'. They might possibly show 'Prometheus Unbound' right before they show 'Moebius', but knowing C7, anything is possible. At the moment, it appears to be a week-at-a-time thing.

Bah.

And as far as I've heard, they haven't even bought Atlantis yet. *groans* Back to squinty for me, I think.

Comment

i'm pretty sure they've confirmed that they have bought rights to Atlantis...they just haven't got any immediate plans to show it as yet.

~~Close To Crazy~~
                        Psychotic Kitten
                        'we can all read between the lines'

Comment

TV1 on Foxtel are only up to season 6 (Ep 5). They play old episodes every weekday (at something like 11.45 EST) and a new one on Fridays at 7.30 EST.

Comment

Channel 10 manages to advertise for the 4400 and Battlestar Galactica, they even got Jamie Bamber (Apollo) and Tricia Helfer (Six) to do that 'seriously ten' thing and push the blue dot.
                            Well Channel 10 used to be known as "The Entertainment Network" once upon a time. Channel 9 always has been and always will be "The Sports Network - a.k.a The Cricket Channel" and Channel 7 was the "We'll take what no one else wants" network.

Apart from Chanel 9 still being the cricket channel, I'm not sure the other two names fit still.

Comment

We just watched Good to be King.

The voice over at the end said "That was the final episode of Stargate for now, it will return soon."

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                                You're in Vic right? Maybe by the time Vic catches up everthing will be back in the correct order.
                                No im in south australia they still showing every in order we just had COVENANT but i don't we have stargate new week though.

Comment

Working...
                                X