Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Times: SciFi Channel to become - Syfy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post
    Ah, ah, I know why they changed the name! Judging from what I see across the web in general, young people just have no idea how to spell. So, they went with the misspelling for the younger crowed
    That's gotta be it. People see "sci-fi" and read skih fih.

Though the reality show you propose would be one of the few reality shows ever conceived that might actually be worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
      Thought control? I think not letting someone to abuse real people hiding behind aliases is not thought control. If you'd like a message board with free abusing possibilities, start one, but here they are at least trying to filter out all the frustrated schoolchildren who come here to heal their inferiority complexes.
      it's not thought control. you can think whatever you want.

but when you post y ou gotta post by the rules.

so it's post control
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

that's ok

if scifi, or scilie as they are commonly known, abandoned the science fiction to become the 'reality' tv center of cable, someone else will buy those abandoned scifi shows.

because, for every 'hit' like amazing race or survivor, there are a dozen reality bombs. the ratio of success to failure is pretty much the same as a scripted show, they're just cheaper

then again, people get bored with anything. try to program 21 hours of prime time a week with 21 different reality shows....they can't do it. no one could do it.

even right now, they operate under the false idea that horror = scifi.

no matter what forumula they pick, if it's not sustainable in a ratings = money, money in > money spent ratio, they'll change it.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          The programming and direction of the network preceded the new name. It is not like they are going to be going off on a tangent now. With Dave Howe at the helm he has had a goal for the past couple of years to attract a younger audience. One of his goals was to ensure there was at least a Stargate series running on the network. So SG fans should not be upset at all. I also think with Howe at the helm, the SGA movie will happen.

We shall see in the coming months what is brewing on SCI FI, er um SyFy.
          For as long as I've been following the network, they've been saying similar things. While most people think they were once only about "science fiction", I once found a description of the network from when it launched and it said "science fiction, fantasy, and horror" would be its programming. One of its early programs were reruns of Dark Shadows.

Whatever their goals are, ratings have the final say.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
            For as long as I've been following the network, they've been saying similar things. While most people think they were once only about "science fiction", I once found a description of the network from when it launched and it said "science fiction, fantasy, and horror" would be its programming. One of its early programs were reruns of Dark Shadows.

Whatever their goals are, ratings have the final say.
            That's the thing. A show like Tin Man for an example is not science fiction and it was their biggest thing in 2007. It was fantasy and adventure. They are sorta removing the Science part not because they will not air Science fiction shows, but the programming has been for awhile now very broad. I enjoy fantasy shows as much as the science fiction shows if they are good enough.

Yes, ratings are what drive the decisions in the programming. If Stargate and BSG were not driving ratings there would not be new series for both franchises in the works.
            sigpic

Comment

Here's a clip from an article written in the NY Times about the upcoming new SciFi Channel from December 2nd 1990:

Part of the Sci-Fi Channel's pitch to cable operators is an offer of equity in the venture in exchange for carrying the programs. Mitchell Rubinstein, the president of the channel, said up to 15 percent of the equity will be turned over to operators.

Indeed, many cable systems now all but demand equity offers in channels before they agree to open the change purse of the subscriber fees.

Mr. Rubinstein completed a deal with the Disney Company last week for studio space at the Disney complex in Florida. The channel will focus on science fiction movies, comic book fantasy and what Mr. Rubinstein called "non-violent horror."

Beyond movies and old television shows, the channel will offer such fare as a game show set in a haunted house, updates on comic books and a weekly look at what NASA is doing. One audience the channel is counting on, Mr. Rubinstein said, is the fanatical followers of "Star Trek" and other cult-like science fiction tales.
              http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...channel&st=nyt

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                (Which may explain why SyFy Portal recently changed ITS name to Airlock Alpha. Hmmmm...)

At the New York Times (New York, NY):

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Sci Fi Channel Has a New Name: Now, It’s Syfy

By STUART ELLIOTT
                Published: March 15, 2009

FOR years, television viewers, journalists who write about TV and services that compile listings have wondered how to refer to a certain cable network: Sci Fi Channel? Sci-Fi Channel? SciFi Channel? SCI FI Channel?

Soon, to paraphrase Rod Serling — whose vintage series, “The Twilight Zone,” is a mainstay of the Sci Fi Channel — executives will submit for public approval another name, not only of sight and sound but of mind, meant to signal a channel whose boundaries are that of imagination. That’s the signpost up ahead — your next stop, Syfy.

Plans call for Sci Fi and its companion Web site (scifi.com) to morph into the oddly spelled Syfy — pronounced the same as “Sci Fi” — on July 7. The new name will be accompanied by the slogan “Imagine Greater,” which replaces a logo featuring a stylized version of Saturn.

... The tweaking of the Sci Fi name, introduced in 1992, is part of a rebranding campaign that seeks to distinguish the channel and its programming from cable competitors — 75 of which are also measured by the Nielsen ratings service.

The Syfy name is to be introduced on Monday to advertisers and agencies by executives of Sci Fi, part of the NBC Universal Cable Entertainment division of NBC Universal, a unit of General Electric.

The name will be revealed at an upfront presentation, when networks try to win commitments by advertisers to blocks of commercial time before the start of the next TV season. Cable channels will spend this month and next making upfront presentations; the broadcast networks will follow in April and May.

One big advantage of the name change, the executives say, is that Sci Fi is vague — so generic, in fact, that it could not be trademarked. Syfy, with its unusual spelling, can be, which is also why diapers are called Luvs, an online video Web site is called Joost and a toothpaste is called Gleem.

“We couldn’t own Sci Fi; it’s a genre,” said Bonnie Hammer, the former president of Sci Fi who became the president of NBC Universal Cable Entertainment and Universal Cable Productions. “But we can own Syfy.”

... According to SNL Kagan, a media research company, Sci Fi had 95.2 million subscriber households last year, compared with 93 million in 2007 and 88.2 million in 2006. SNL Kagan estimated ad revenue for Sci Fi at $423.9 million last year, compared with $392.7 million in 2007 and $394.6 million in 2006.

~~**~~**

Also:

From Broadcasting and Cable:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

March 16-22: Media Summit NY

By Stephanie Robbins

Monday, March 16

Join Sci Fi Channel for its New York City upfront presentation and cocktails
                starting at 7:15 p.m. at The Times Center.

.. Wednesday, March 18

Jeff Zucker, President and CEO of NBC Universal, delivers the keynote at the
                Media Summit New York at 9:15 a.m. at the McGraw-Hill Building in NYC.

It doesn't seem to have the same "bang" as SCI FI Channel. The Saturn was very cool.

Comment

How dare that business try to be more successful.<snip>
                  Last edited by Skydiver; 16 March 2009, 12:37 PM.

Comment

The name change from sci-fi to syfy isn't all that bad...
                    But they seriously need a better logo/slogan than "Imagine Greater", that is one of the lamest things i have ever heard. Sounds like it belongs on a promo poster for my collage's Theater Club.
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

i'm still calling them skiffy
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Dumb logo/font. Pointless name change. The tagline is appropriate, however -- keep going on the course they're on with their programming, and viewers are gonna have to 'imagine greater'. Either that or change the channel.

I vote the second option. Sci-fi fans don't need to watch reality competitions where professional wrestlers fight ghosts in a ring set up in the dungeon of an old Belgian castle for the ultimate prize of starring in SyFy's newest giant flying snake movie. I'd rather watch 'Grey's Anatomy'. *shiver*

Comment

I'm changing my name too, fron sean to shawn.

Comment

Originally posted by TheoryCraft View Post
                            But they seriously need a better logo/slogan than "Imagine Greater", that is one of the lamest things i have ever heard. Sounds like it belongs on a promo poster for my collage's Theater Club.
                            Your college theater club would not allow a poster with such poor grammar. Reminds me of Apple's "Think Different."
                            Jack O'Neill would never stand for it.

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                            Me, too.

Originally posted by naonak77 View Post
                            I'm changing my name too, fron sean to shawn.
                            Sex change?

Comment

Originally posted by TheoryCraft View Post
                              The name change is lame because it's not really a change. It'll still be pronounced the same, but they seem to think 'sci fi' is old. It's the content of the show that makes you watch a channel. I mean, ABC, NBC, CBS... just acronym... but you'll watch if the show is good. Trouble is that Skiffy doesn't make a lot of good stuff.

The "imagine greater" is simply atrocious.

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              They'll be Skiffy to me. Or is that Skyffy now??

Originally posted by fyere View Post
                              Dumb logo/font. Pointless name change. The tagline is appropriate, however -- keep going on the course they're on with their programming, and viewers are gonna have to 'imagine greater'. Either that or change the channel.

I vote the second option. Sci-fi fans don't need to watch reality competitions where professional wrestlers fight ghosts in a ring set up in the dungeon of an old Belgian castle for the ultimate prize of starring in SyFy's newest giant flying snake movie. I'd rather watch 'Grey's Anatomy'. *shiver*
                              Okay, I'd watch that, well, for 15 minutes while cooking dinner...

Comment

As a trekkie, I'm offended. It's like a slap in the face to those who like real science fiction. With this name change and programming tilt, I can't see how SGU will fit in(I can but I won't say).

Please....someone....find a home for SGU.

Comment

Working...
                                X