Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Times: SciFi Channel to become - Syfy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yuk...
    Syfy is like the lamest name ever for a TV channel...

Anyway I'll keep on watching SGU on it. but probably the channel will loose the attractiveness of the name it had...

May be Syfy is looking for a more younger audience too

Comment

I think Sci-Fi is absolutely right in changing its name to SyFy. C'mon, we all know that there's absolutely no science in wrestling just fiction.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crion View Post
        They're just giving me more of a reason to not watch SGU...
        You're absolutely right, my friend. That's just what happened to me yesterday. While entering the dining room I accidentally kicked the threshold with my toe, and that's exactly what I said: <snip>, this is just one more reason to not watch SGU!".
        sigpic

Comment

the thing is....ok, we got almost 40,000 people on this forum.

a single ratings point signifies MILLIONS of viewers. Even if every single person on this forum opted out it wouldn't effect the ratings at all.

despite how much they like to feel that they are important or vital to a show, online fans are a mere drop in the bucket in the viewer pool.

People are getting their knickers in a knot over - in teh grand scheme of things - a bare handful and a miniscule percent of the real viewers of a show.

yeah, so, online fans aren't all happiness and roses....who cares?

As long as YOU, the individual YOU care about how YOU think and act, let the rest of the fandom take care of itself. The others will either watch it or not, like it or not, and all your fussing and worrying won't change a bit. You can't change other peoples' minds. they have to change their own.

And, as someone that has weathered more than one fandom split, the more you try to force people to change their minds, the harder they dig their heels in and refuse to change.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

a single ratings point signifies MILLIONS of viewers. Even if every single person on this forum opted out it wouldn't effect the ratings at all.

despite how much they like to feel that they are important or vital to a show, online fans are a mere drop in the bucket in the viewer pool.

People are getting their knickers in a knot over - in teh grand scheme of things - a bare handful and a miniscule percent of the real viewers of a show.

As long as YOU, the individual YOU care about how YOU think and act, let the rest of the fandom take care of itself. The others will either watch it or not, like it or not, and all your fussing and worrying won't change a bit. You can't change other peoples' minds. they have to change their own.

And, as someone that has weathered more than one fandom split, the more you try to force people to change their minds, the harder they dig their heels in and refuse to change.
            Given the level of thought control certain forums are subjected to, I find such statements rather amusing.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Atlantis had some negativity here for the last 2 seasons, yet the ratings were going up, so again it is all subjective. SGU could be the best thing ever we won't know until it comes.

As per SCI FI they are doing this because of the more broader programming they offer now. Shows like ECW, Chase, Estate of Panic, and etc do not really fit in the category of Science Fiction.

There goal has been to get a younger audience. Let's face it the classic Science Fiction fan base is aging, and they want a fresh new perspective to attract younger viewers.
              sigpic

Comment

It's all about owning the trademark, folks.

Michael Hinman is now a rich man, or at least a little wealthier than he was.

I don't see it having any impact on the Stargate franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                  Given the level of thought control certain forums are subjected to, I find such statements rather amusing.
                  Thought control? I think not letting someone to abuse real people hiding behind aliases is not thought control. If you'd like a message board with free abusing possibilities, start one, but here they are at least trying to filter out all the frustrated schoolchildren who come here to heal their inferiority complexes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                    Whoa, Syfy?! That's the perfect place for Unyverse: 90210, Kapryca, etc.

They are really after that younger demographic, huh?

Comment

The programming and direction of the network preceded the new name. It is not like they are going to be going off on a tangent now. With Dave Howe at the helm he has had a goal for the past couple of years to attract a younger audience. One of his goals was to ensure there was at least a Stargate series running on the network. So SG fans should not be upset at all. I also think with Howe at the helm, the SGA movie will happen.

We shall see in the coming months what is brewing on SCI FI, er um SyFy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        As per SCI FI they are doing this because of the more broader programming they offer now. Shows like ECW, Chase, Estate of Panic, and etc do not really fit in the category of Science Fiction.
                        great way to to business. Instead of actually having your programming reflect what your about, you change what your about. Pretty soon there will be no more science fiction on this channel. 10 years from now.. no more BSG.. no more SGU, no sanctury... ... thats fine though cause we'll get the 3rd spinoff of estate of panic
                        BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                          great way to to business. Instead of actually having your programming reflect what your about, you change what your about. Pretty soon there will be no more science fiction on this channel. 10 years from now.. no more BSG.. no more SGU, no sanctury... ... thats fine though cause we'll get the 3rd spinoff of estate of panic
                          If shows like BSG, SG-1, and SGA were doing as good as shows like Ghost Hunters, then there would be no question about it. We'd see the more scripted shows taking over the network.

Sorry, but right now Ghost Hunters is the most successful show on SCI FI. Why? They attract the most viewers and have a very young audience. Also, they are a reality show which means it is likely less cost to produce than a scripted drama show.

Actually, they are working on a third Ghost Hunters spin-off, a college addition I believe, go figure.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                            Atlantis had some negativity here for the last 2 seasons, yet the ratings were going up, so again it is all subjective. SGU could be the best thing ever we won't know until it comes.

There goal has been to get a younger audience. Let's face it the classic Science Fiction fan base is aging, and they want a fresh new perspective to attract younger viewers.
                            Remember Lexx and Tripping the Rift....not exactly science fiction either. With the name change, they can boldy go where they want...

Comment

Originally posted by CSESL View Post
                              Yuk...
                              Syfy is like the lamest name ever for a TV channel...

Anyway I'll keep on watching SGU on it. but probably the channel will loose the attractiveness of the name it had...

May be Syfy is looking for a more younger audience too
                              Ah, ah, I know why they changed the name! Judging from what I see across the web in general, young people just have no idea how to spell. So, they went with the misspelling for the younger crowed

How much you want to bet with this 'imagine greater' slogon they'll get on a reality show where week after week, they visit the homes of scifi fans to see their shrines to Star Trek, etc.??

Comment

hehe....easier to text message...

Comment

Working...
                                X