Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Times: SciFi Channel to become - Syfy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crion View Post
    They're just giving me more of a reason to not watch SGU...
    Why is a name-change a reason to not watch a new show? Maybe you just wait and watch the first episode, then you could choose weether you like it or not.
    I don't care if they call themselves SciFi, SCIFI, sci-fi or what ever, as long as they don't cancel SGU too early.
    Sam: "You can´t be serious!"
    Jack: "What?"
    Daniel: "It´s the only way!"
    Jack: "What?"
    Sam: "Now, we agreed...!"
    Jack: "If I have to say "WHAT?" one more time, heads are gonna roll!"
    - - - - -
    Knight Rider S01E11
    KITT: Sarah, our father is dead.
    - - - - -
    Eureka S03E12
    Bismarck: This is madness.
    Fargo: This is Eureka!

Comment

Eh? What are you on about? Why would scifi changing it's name effect your decision to watch a new Stargate show?

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      I've been doing supporting work for SCI FI.com for years. I have never ever seen so much negativity for a show. I really think SGU is going to be in trouble if this buzz reaches the non-internet viewers.
      I don't get this? Why are people being so negative now that they've lined up such a great cast, they're shooting in better locations, they've got an acclaimed SciFi novelist on board who may even write episodes, they've got aliens who are actually alien etc... etc...

At this point, the show is sounding more promising than Atlantis did at the same point in time. Why are people being so stubborn and possibly putting they're own enjoyment in jeopardy? Luckily, fans are the internet are rarely indicative of casual viewers.

Comment

you know, if skiffy starts in with more WWF crap and non-scifi stuff....just stop watching.

let their ratings fall and, in a few years and after a few million in losses, they'll readjust their thinking.

As it is, scifi's lineup is so poor I only watch it for the handful of shows...namely SGA, BSG, Sanctuary and Eureka. Two of those shows are ending.

so 2 hours a week, 26 hours a year (each of those shows have 13 eps seasons and they don't re-run so only really 26 hours a year)

Even if you factor into that SGU this fall, it still averages out to less than an hour a week.

I watch NBC about 7 hours a week, CBS about 10, ABC about 3 a week. and then other random cable shows and PBS

So, for me, skiffy only has 2 hours worth watching so the other networks get the points from the ratings info taken from my cable box.

And if more people do what I do...only watch what you like, skiffy's falling ratings will eventually show them that their little 'let's be hip' will accomplish nothing.

Because, my experience with them is, as a network, they strongly believe in minimal effort, minimal expense, maximum expectations and the arrogance that keeps them from ever admitting any sort of responsibility or acceptance of their own actions.

In other words, if the changes bomb, it's not their fault for not reading the audience, it'll be our fault for not being hip enough to embrace their changes.

whatever.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
          The fans of the original Battlestar Galactica series were even MORE upset, incensed when they heard about the "re-imagined" new BSG series five+ years ago.
          Good point Morjana. And now the fans of the newer show far outweigh the fans of the original. Not to say that will happen with Stargate, but if you totally cut yourself off from the new incarnation without even giving it a shot then you run the risk of becoming one of those embarrassing people who only rear their heads in articles praising the new incarnation, <snip>about it despite the fact that you've probably never seen it.

Like the idiots who are still going "OMGZ Stargate:90210!!!"

This looks to be one of the best casts assembled for a scifi show in a while. Give it a freaking chance. All it takes is 40 minutes of your life people!

Comment

At this point, the show is sounding more promising than Atlantis did at the same point in time. Why are people being so stubborn and possibly putting they're own enjoyment in jeopardy? Luckily, fans are the internet are rarely indicative of casual viewers.
            to you maybe, just not to everyone. This whole putting down of those that have a pov you don't share isn't a good thing to start.

If you want to watch, awesome. Watch. Those that don't....well they're not hurting you. Don't worry about what they do, just enjoy what you're doing and don't fuss about the rest.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              you know, if skiffy starts in with more WWF crap and non-scifi stuff....just stop watching.
              I guess wrestling comes under fantasy Because, come one, let's face it. It's not exactly reality.

That's probably why they made the name change, so they can stick more crap like that on...

Comment

what does a name change have to do with SGU???
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                  I've been doing supporting work for SCI FI.com for years. I have never ever seen so much negativity for a show. I really think SGU is going to be in trouble if this buzz reaches the non-internet viewers.
                  It will never reach the levels of negativity before BSG started.

Frankly, I don't think the level of negativity is that high for SGU. It's the hardcore fans--as with BSG--that get the most invested in the negativity. And as with BSG, the casual viewer just doesn't care enough to get worked up about it.

Plus, all the negativity isn't based on anything concrete. It's not like anyone has seen SGU and seen that it stinks. All the negativity is just what people are imagining is bad.

I can recall that when I saw hardcore old BSG fans get worked up about how Starbuck was going to be a female, I laughed at the fans for being silly. Their concerns didn't resonate with me.

Comment

Whoa, Syfy?! That's the perfect place for Unyverse: 90210, Kapryca, etc.

They are really after that younger demographic, huh?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post

Frankly, I don't think the level of negativity is that high for SGU. It's the hardcore fans--as with BSG--that get the most invested in the negativity. And as with BSG, the casual viewer just doesn't care enough to get worked up about it.

Plus, all the negativity isn't based on anything concrete. It's not like anyone has seen SGU and seen that it stinks. All the negativity is just what people are imagining is bad.

I can recall that when I saw hardcore old BSG fans get worked up about how Starbuck was going to be a female, I laughed at the fans for being silly. Their concerns didn't resonate with me.
                      Some folks are saying that SGA got this negativity also. I saw little if any negativity for SGA. Likely because SG-1 was being renewed and not being replaced by SGA.

I remember a war happening between TOS and TNS folks. It was not pretty. So you are right, BSG likely wins the prize for most negativity before it airs.
                      sigpic

Comment

As long as they shrink the watermark and remove in-show ads, I'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                          What buzz? That a few fans on an internet forum are upset? My goodness... if this reaches the outside world then SGU is finished before it even starts!!
                          Oh, it's more than a few people.

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                          Eh? What are you on about? Why would scifi changing it's name effect your decision to watch a new Stargate show?

I don't get this? Why are people being so negative now that they've lined up such a great cast, they're shooting in better locations, they've got an acclaimed SciFi novelist on board who may even write episodes, they've got aliens who are actually alien etc... etc...

Honestly, I don't know. Likely the SGA thing is getting people upset.

The show could be the best thing ever, but if it has this negativity around it, then it will be in trouble. But if the show is really great then the folks who do give it a try will likely stay interested.

We all know the premiere will get high ratings, it is keeping those viewers that is the key.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post

The name change has NOTHING to do with SGU, so I have no idea why this article isn't posted in the general sci fi section of GW.

Meanwhile, changing the name means squat. Skiffy probably bought out Sy Fy from Sy Fy Portal, who is now something else. THey're going to show the samea crap movies, same stupid shows.

And well, many of us didn't like BSG on its own merits. It just didn't appeal to everyone.

The only folks who made out like a bandit are the consultants who probably concocted this name change.

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                              Whoa, Syfy?! That's the perfect place for Unyverse: 90210, Kapryca, etc.

They are really after that younger demographic, huh?
                              I guess the really young demographic, like 5-year olds...
                              sigpic
                              Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                to you maybe, just not to everyone. This whole putting down of those that have a pov you don't share isn't a good thing to start.

If you want to watch, awesome. Watch. Those that don't....well they're not hurting you. Don't worry about what they do, just enjoy what you're doing and don't fuss about the rest.
                                Its really all subjective to how many people are going to watch or not watch, or who are exicited or not excited about SGU. But just from reading multiple forums it seems there is a lot of negativity. I honestly feel SGU on the political front is off to a bad start, even if it is the best series ever!

You cannot please everyone.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X