Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popstar.com: What Makes a Great Show Go Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of writing and being a 'journalist' of any type is to acknowledge that no matter what you write, someone won't like it.

Fact of life.

If one is going to be a pro, one needs to accept that there will always be critics and not get upset over it.

That being said....if you (the general you) have issues with an article, calling the author names is OTT. Don't go taking digs at them that you wouldn't want taken at you.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Another reminder that this thread is about the article, not the Weir storyline.

thanks
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        Weir was one of my favorite characters. The drama of Season 4 was so powerful it hurt me that the actress did not return for "GiTM" it would of likely been one of the most dramatic darkest eps of the series. Put MM did a great job. Carson came back, but they did not use his full potential until the 2nd half of Season 5.
        they shouldnt have brought him back, it made the whole point of the death pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
          they shouldnt have brought him back, it made the whole point of the death pointless
          Not when the death was pointless in the first place. Did it progress the story in any way?

No.

Comment

Oh yeah. Thats one of my biggest problems with Stargate. When they kill off a character they don't keep them dead and their resurrection is usually in some cliche way
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
              Not when the death was pointless in the first place. Did it progress the story in any way?

No.
              Overall story, no. to the character, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

No.
                Most deaths are pointless on SG, because yes, they're brought back somehow. They killed Frasier cuz they thought the show was ending (so they killed a character, go figure). Lord knows why Beckett got snuffed; did it add to the storyline? Nope, nada. And then they bring him back as a clone, which sorta negates the whole death thing (TPTB still haven't learned how pissed off fans get when you kill a character, probably never will). Eliminating Weir made no sense, as Carter didn't do much more than Weir did.

While I like the show, I find myself watching seasons 1-3 the most, and 4-5 the least, due to what I felt was an unevenness in the last two seasons. Still had a lot of potential, but well, unless they do the movie and do it well, that's it.

Comment

This was an excellent article and for the most part I totally agree. In the beginning Atlantis was a breath of fresh air. It was fun and exciting and the characters were just wonderful together. I have never understood the criticism that they didn't gel. I thought they seemed to like each other and became fast friends from the very beginning. And as the article said, by S3 everything just seemed perfect. Having just rewatched Echoes, I would present that episode as the epitome of what Atlantis was all about. Everybody worked together as a team, they all had something interesting to do and it had the action and humor that are Stargate trademarks. Why didn't we have more episodes like that one?

The whole story line with Weir could have worked very well if she had been returned at some point in a different capacity. Woolsey is a fine leader IMHO but having Weir back in a position of negotiator or whatnot would really have spiced things up. Even having her return periodically as an ascended being would have been interesting. The whole dark turn in S4-5, sometimes literally as they seemed to have lowered the lights, was a mistake IMHO. We lost the original spirit of the show. It's a moot point now but still rankles nonetheless.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    This was an excellent article and for the most part I totally agree. In the beginning Atlantis was a breath of fresh air. It was fun and exciting and the characters were just wonderful together. I have never understood the criticism that they didn't gel. I thought they seemed to like each other and became fast friends from the very beginning. And as the article said, by S3 everything just seemed perfect. Having just rewatched Echoes, I would present that episode as the epitome of what Atlantis was all about. Everybody worked together as a team, they all had something interesting to do and it had the action and humor that are Stargate trademarks. Why didn't we have more episodes like that one?

The whole story line with Weir could have worked very well if she had been returned at some point in a different capacity. Woolsey is a fine leader IMHO but having Weir back in a position of negotiator or whatnot would really have spiced things up. Even having her return periodically as an ascended being would have been interesting. The whole dark turn in S4-5, sometimes literally as they seemed to have lowered the lights, was a mistake IMHO. We lost the original spirit of the show. It's a moot point now but still rankles nonetheless.
                    Well I disagree about Season 4 and 5 not being darker, they were big time imo. I do agree they should of kept Weir on as recurring and have her appear in the back half of Season 4. I am sure people would not have minded giving up "quarantine" for a Weir focused ep.

I just don't understand it. I see the same quality from Season 1 in Season 4 and 5. Only the characters changed. Well that is just me.

Maybe that is why Season 5 lost some spark. No Weir, except for "GitM" but that was not the original Weir we fell in love with.
                    Last edited by Briangate78; 29 January 2009, 10:05 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Couldn't have said it better
                      What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by rswfire View Post
                        I'm the author of the article some of you are bashing. What is so wrong with writing an article about two of my favorite shows and why *I* personally feel they went from great to bad? You don't have to agree with me, but calling me an idiot or clueless is both disrespectful and very childish.

The two shows I wrote about are two of my favorite shows. Many shows get taken off of the air and I could really care less, but these two shows had a *profound* impact on me. That's why they are my favorites and that's why I choose to write about them.

Drawing comparisons between the two does not give the show a bad name. And the least you could do is show respect to others and express your opinions in a healthy and productive manner. I didn't call anyone an idiot or clueless in my article, and I won't do that to any of you.

I tried to express what I felt was great about the shows and what caused that greatness to fall. Pardon me for having an opinion and expressing in a respectful way.
                        Originally posted by rswfire View Post
                        The first and third seasons were my favorites, with a few episodes from the second season. I especially liked "The Siege" and even "Adrift" from the fourth season. It was very suspenseful waiting for that season to start because "First Strike" had a very powerful ending scene - Atlantis, floating through space, in the middle of nowhere. I can still hear the background music from that scene when I think about it.

As far as the fourth season, I really liked "Miller's Crossing" - all of the episodes with McKay's sister were extremely good. And I liked "Travelers" - that was a storyline that had a great deal of potential to it. Things I really disliked, that were introduced in the second season, was the arc with Michael. I just never found that storyline very appealing.

The fourth and fifth seasons may not have lived up to my expectations, but that didn't stop me from watching them, like any loyal fan would. I own all of them either on DVD or through Amazon Unbox. I can't tell you the number of times I've had marathons of the entire series - including SG1, which I never liked until after I was really into SGA.

I don't think my article needs defending and that's not why I signed on. Every one is entitled to their opinions and I respect other people's opinions when they are stated in a respectful manner. The point of my article wasn't that SGA was a complete bomb - it's that it could have been so much better. The tone and chemistry between the first three seasons and the last two are black and white. Like I said in my article (in my opinion), it lost its magic.
                        If you come back I agree with your article 100% on both shows great job

SGA I agree that for me season 3 was the best and I agree with those who said the decision to get rid of Weir was a big reason why the show went down hill for me it did. I also agree that bringing AT was a bad move cameos are ok but not what was done in season 4
                        sigpic
                        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          Well I disagree about Season 4 and 5 not being darker, they were big time imo. I do agree they should of kept Weir on as recurring and have her appear in the back half of Season 4. I am sure people would not have minded giving up "quarantine" for a Weir focused ep.

I just don't understand it. I see the same quality from Season 1 in Season 4 and 5. Only the characters changed. Well that is just me.

Maybe that is why Season 5 lost some spark. No Weir, except for "GitM" but that was not the original Weir we fell in love with.
                          I said the dark turn in S4-5 was a mistake, not that it didn't happen.

You know I love you Brian. I wish I could share your enthusiasm for all the seasons.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that any discussion of the negatives of S5 does not include the completely awesome and amazing Vegas.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

the completely awesome and amazing Vegas.

Vegas was a 10+ ep, imo.

Comment

Overall story, no. to the character, yes.
                              Well, duh. He's dead.

Comment

Thanks for all of the comments, everyone.

It's great to see such an active fan community on this site!

I especially liked some of the shipper banners - and the custom smilies are an incredibly nice touch. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X