This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michey View Post
    Delvin has indicated previously that if he was to do more stargate movies that he would do them as though SG-1 had never happened and doesn't support the show. So I doubt his films will have any impact whatsoever on Sg-1's future.
    It would be hard not to include at least a reference to the series. Otherwise, what was the purpose of the series? The series was a spinoff of the original movie. Unless Devlin had a brand new team i.e., SG-2, I don't see a Devlin-made movie.
    "In the middle of my back swing?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum View Post
      Also, MGM mentioned that they have agreed to two SG-1 movies, but I don't recall them stating that it was going to be two 2-hour movies. Is it possible that each can be a miniseries? Maybe three or four hours each? Well, I can hope.
      MGM said 2 movies, not 2 mini-series. Most likely it'll be two 90-minute movies. That's how long most direct-to-video movies are.

With regard to time travel, I think SG-1 has done much better in alternate reality episodes. However, at this point, I'll take anything they want to throw at me.
      Time Travel Episodes
      2-21 1969
      4-06 Window of Opportunity
      4-16 2010
      8-13 It's Good to be King (Found a time ship, but didn't use it till "Moebius.")
      8-19 Moebius, Part 1
      8-20 Moebius, Part 2

Alternate Reality Episodes
      1-19 There But For the Grace of God
      3-06 Point of View
      9-13 Ripple Effect

There's been six episodes involving time travel, but only three involving parallel realities. I found the time travel episodes to be far more interesting. I wonder how they'll top "Moebius?" That was their best time travel episode. I really don't see the need to do another time travel story, but we'll see whut they come out with.

Lastly, I do realize that the cast of SG-1 is going to want to move on to other things, and retaining them to continue in the SG-1 universe may be very wishful thinking on my part. I'm just not as excited about seeing another Stargate spinoff that doesn't include the cast of SG-1. Now that might change, but frankly, it hasn't so far. I like Atlantis somewhat, but I'm hardly in love with it.
      I have no idea why people think these movies are going to lead to a spin-off show when we already have one. Stargate: Atlantis is our spin-off show wether people like it or not. Personally, I love it. I don't think we'll see a third show until Atlantis comes to an end. I see the SG-1 movies as a means to continue SG-1 and nothing more.

It'll be interesting to see where everything ends up next year. Will MGM continue to invest in SG-1? Will the cast sign on for additional movies? Will it be TV or theatrical movies? Will the cast go their own ways for different projects with MGM starting a new spinoff? Who knows. I do know one thing: I'm not interested in a Devlin movie. If it never gets made, I won't care. I can't say the same for anything related to SG-1. See, that's my problem.
      1. I think MGM will contine SG-1 as a film series wether they are direct-to-video or theatrical. MGM will probably make them until the producers feel SG-1 is finished, the actors want to move on, or the movies stop making MGM money.
      2. I'm expecting the cast to sign on for additional movies. We may even see each character get their own movie! Who knows.
      3. The first two will be direct-to-video. If they do extremely well, we may see a theatrical release for a third movie. There's no way to know at this point.
      4. Dean Devlin and Ronald Emmerich can make their sequel to the original movie. I don't have any objections to this. However, I'm not into alternate sequels, so I'll pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
        MGM said 2 movies, not 2 mini-series. Most likely it'll be two 90-minute movies. That's how long most direct-to-video movies are.

I'm hoping for two 2-hour movies, not 90 minute, but you probably know better than I.

Time Travel Episodes
        2-21 1969
        4-06 Window of Opportunity
        4-16 2010
        8-13 It's Good to be King (Found a time ship, but didn't use it till "Moebius.")
        8-19 Moebius, Part 1
        8-20 Moebius, Part 2

Alternate Reality Episodes
        1-19 There But For the Grace of God
        3-06 Point of View
        9-13 Ripple Effect

There's been six episodes involving time travel, but only three involving parallel realities. I found the time travel episodes to be far more interesting. I wonder how they'll top "Moebius?" That was their best time travel episode. I really don't see the need to do another time travel story, but we'll see whut they come out with.
        You listed some GREAT episodes. I think you've made the point that BOTH types of episodes, time travel and alternate realities, have been well done on SG-1. All the episodes you listed I thoroughly enjoyed.

have no idea why people think these movies are going to lead to a spin-off show when we already have one. Stargate: Atlantis is our spin-off show wether people like it or not. Personally, I love it. I don't think we'll see a third show until Atlantis comes to an end. I see the SG-1 movies as a means to continue SG-1 and nothing more.
        From your lips to God's ears.

1. I think MGM will contine SG-1 as a film series wether they are direct-to-video or theatrical. MGM will probably make them until the producers feel SG-1 is finished, the actors want to move on, or the movies stop making MGM money.
        2. I'm expecting the cast to sign on for additional movies. We may even see each character get their own movie! Who knows.
        3. The first two will be direct-to-video. If they do extremely well, we may see a theatrical release for a third movie. There's no way to know at this point.
        4. Dean Devlin and Ronald Emmerich can make their sequel to the original movie. I don't have any objections to this. However, I'm not into alternate sequels, so I'll pass.
        I like your way of thinking. Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

I have no idea why people think these movies are going to lead to a spin-off show when we already have one. Stargate: Atlantis is our spin-off show wether people like it or not. Personally, I love it. I don't think we'll see a third show until Atlantis comes to an end. I see the SG-1 movies as a means to continue SG-1 and nothing more.
          This is due to TPTB having indicated previously that they wanted to do another spinoff in the Stargate Universe.

Come and visit the Daniel/ Vala Forum

SAVE SG-1 CLICK HERE TO SIGN PETITION

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum View Post
            I'm hoping for two 2-hour movies, not 90 minute, but you probably know better than I.
            I am hoping the movies will be two-hours each as well. However, direct-to-video movies are typically shorter due to low budget. Rather than a cheap looking two-hour movie, we get a decent 90-minute movie. I'd rather short and good than long and cheap.

You listed some GREAT episodes. I think you've made the point that BOTH types of episodes, time travel and alternate realities, have been well done on SG-1. All the episodes you listed I thoroughly enjoyed.
            Thanks, they intentionally space out time travel and alternate reallity episodes so that when they do the episodes, they've had the time to develope them into a really good story.

From your lips to God's ears.

I like your way of thinking. Makes sense.

Originally posted by michey View Post
            This is due to TPTB having indicated previously that they wanted to do another spinoff in the Stargate Universe.
            This is true, but I think it's way too soon.
            Last edited by Daniel Jackson; 12 October 2006, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I hate those episodes with a passion, especially time travel, as they break continuity and are the equivalent of a slapping reset in your face.

And as a whole, I just find them utterly weak in essence.

Plus a cheap way to end a storyline. What's the point of time travel here. What does it add? It suggests that it's that way they're going to deal with the Ori, because they may not be find another more intricate and complex way to end it.

Oh frak, I really hate those damn time travel plots. They're fun for fillers or for plots which have limited incidence on the continuity, but gloriously wrong to end a whole storyarc and affect it to a major extent.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Cap116 View Post
                I was just curious what everyone thought of the movies that are suppose to come out after the Series Finale. And just in case, you haven't read it Click Here. I there is some potential with the ideas.
                I don't like it - not just movies - that's just for money (yeah yeah i know, no blue eyes) - rather a series to DVD or some other outlet (for TV in the rest of the world, and on DVD in the US). Someone has to be the first, they might as well try it.

Comment

I don't think they should finish off the Ori arc. The new spinoff should continue with it.
                  http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

I don't have a problem with time travel per se, as long as it is an integral part of the storyline and doesn't impact the universe.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater View Post
                      What?
                      The news on the Gateworld home page says...

MGM has given a green light for the show's creators to produce two direct-to-DVD movies based on SG-1. Executive producer Brad Wright let TV Guide in on the news this week.
                      The actual article in TV Guide that Gateworld has paraphased, said 'most likely for dvd'.

Comment

I must say I couldn't be happier. SG-1 continuing YEAH! I am not concerned about the cast signing up as they all minus MS were signed for a 11th season and they all have said numorous times SG-1 wasn't over anad they would be back. They are SG-1 movies so Yeah the cast will be there. Both plots sound great and take a look at my little idea.
                        "From the hit T.V show comes a feature length motion picture based on SG-1 called: Stargate SG-1:Adria's Revenge." " After facing total destruction Earth succeds in defeating the Ori(end of season 10). The Ori are severly weakend as is Earth and her fleet. With all that has happened the President orders the Gate sealed and the SGC shut down. After a few weeks apart Vala recieves a vision that Adria is still alive and mounting an army to come and destroy Earth. SG-1 pleads with the President to unseal the gate to do some reconasince and he reluctantly agrees. Now they have only 2 days to come up with a plan to stop Adria or earth will be destroyed. Can SG-1 save Earth a last time? Find out in Stargate SG-1: Adria's Revenge!" As for the second movie still working on it but I'm sure iot will be great!
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                          The actual article in TV Guide that Gateworld has paraphased, said 'most likely for dvd'.
                          Then it should be corrected, it's misleading.

Comment

1. Why two movies? Three is a better number.

And 4/5 movies a year is crazy! I think they will make 2 tops per year. Four to five a year is just laughable.

Comment

I am exceptionally pleased with this news. I am not going to make a list of things that I would like to see or not to see, but make a few points about what I think is going on here.

1. Per TPTB, the show was getting continually more expensive every season that the show continues.

2. Per TPTB, it saves them ALOT of money being able to film 2 related shows at the same time in the same studio.

3. MGM has said that they are committed to continuing the Stargate franchise.

4. SciFi appears to be wanting to feature their own shows where they get DVD/download/syndication profits instead of MGM in the case of both SG1/A. When a network can build additional revenue streams by retaining those rights along with the advertising revenue, ratings aren't as important to the network anymore because it's a much smaller fraction of total revenues.

So what happened? I think TPTB were expecting to be able to to finish up their current story arc in a season 11 and SciFi blindsided them.

I am really interested in how long the contract for SGA/SG1 for exclusive rights. I think that MGM is going to launch their own network to continue SGA and they will start a new Stargate oriented series (previously referred to as Stargate Command) so they can continue to save costs by filming 2 related shows at once.

On a side note, I don't think that SG1's ratings really had as much to do with the cancellation as did the overall cost that MGM was charging SciFi - which they had to due to the length of time that the show had been on the air. I also think that if someone did a detailed analysis of SciFi's overall ratings, they would find that they fell pretty much proportionally across the board when they moved from the basic tier to the digital tier on many cable systems. I think they suddenly had a smaller POSSIBLE audience because many viewers simply chose not to upgrade their systems.

Here's to hoping that the new MGM network gets themselves placed on the basic tier on cable systems. CHEERS!!!
                              The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
                                1. Why two movies? Three is a better number.
                                Because they have two big ideas already?

And 4/5 movies a year is crazy! I think they will make 2 tops per year. Four to five a year is just laughable.
                                I think it depends on how movielike it is.
                                Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                                Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                                -Audioslave

Comment

Working...
                                X