Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG1/SGA Charity Auction - Lunch with RDA & Amanda, Ben, or Joe F.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion
    I'm sure RDA is popular (hence the insane price) but it might not even a stargate fan. Imagine if this is is die-hard MacGyver fan who will go "Jack?" "Sam?" who are they?
    According to the Simpsons, MacGyver fans are a rare thing these days
    Last edited by Agent_Dark; 20 April 2006, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      According to the Simpsons, MacGyver fans are a rare thing these days
      Well, heh, for conventions, sure, but the DVDs seem to sell.

Hmm, the mystery buyer could be

1) Rabid S/J fan whose family will soon discover there's a second home equity loan added to their deb
      2) MacGyver fan who invested well and went 'hey, lunch with Mac, can't pass this up'
      3) Environmentalist who went, 'wow, a chance to meet RDA; this will be a great gift for my mom who named me Angus."
      4) A fan who thinks the biddding is in another currency and doesn't realize they've blown their entire savings account

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
        Marla, if you had scrolled down the page farther, you would have seen the question that was replied to:

Can the winning bidder take a friend?

Reply :

Two people can come to the lunch, but there is only one signed paddle.

Also, when you register, their Terms and Conditions of User Agreement clearly states you must be over 18 years of age.

Morjana
        Thank you! You're just a dear thing for being so helpful like that. Just think what this place would be like without you. Just sending you lots of appreciation for the good job.

Marla
        ______
        Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

https://www01.charityfolks.com/cfauc...per%20Alliance

April 20th 8pm results....

RDA & AT lunch - $16,000 (or, seriously, the price of a car!)

B Browder lunch - $3,500

J Flanigan lunch - $3,250

Comment

April 20th 8pm results....

RDA & AT lunch - $16,000 (or, seriously, the price of a car!)

B Browder lunch - $3,500

J Flanigan lunch - $3,250
            Well it looks as if the lunch is now up to $17,000 and requires premium bidding status. I'm not really suprised it's gone this high. In fact, I expect it to surpass the 20K mark by the time the auction ends. I'm pretty sure someone bid $7500.00 to have dinner with Amanda last year and someone's paid over 10k to kiss RDA, so the chance to have lunch with them both actors would definitely bring in the big bucks.

For those of you who may not have read the fine print for premium bidding, in order to get premium bidding status, you have to register again and give them not only a credit card number, but give them background information such as where you work, how much you make a month, whether you own a house, ect.

It's amusing how auctions like this can attract this type of bidding from Stargate fans and yet most of the media refuse to even acknowledge that the show exists and that it's been on the air for ten years with a very loyal following. It would be nice if someone actually took notice of this charity event and did a write up on it because I find it interesting that as popular as BSG is right now amongst the critics the lunch with AT/RDA is bringing in five times the monetary bid as the BSG lunch.

Kudos to AT/RDA/Ben and Joe for donating their time to do something like this. Wish I were the winner.

Kat
            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 21 April 2006, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              Well it looks as if the lunch is now up to $17,000 and requires premium bidding status. I'm not really suprised it's gone this high. In fact, I expect it to surpass the 20K mark by the time the auction ends. I'm pretty sure someone bid $7500.00 to have dinner with Amanda last year and someone's paid over 10k to kiss RDA, so the chance to have lunch with them both actors would definitely bring in the big bucks.

For those of you who may not have read the fine print for premium bidding, in order to get premium bidding status, you have to register again and give them not only a credit card number, but give them background information such as where you work, how much you make a month, whether you own a house, ect.

It's amusing how auctions like this can attract this type of bidding from Stargate fans and yet most of the media refuse to even acknowledge that the show exists and that it's been on the air for ten years with a very loyal following. It would be nice if someone actually took notice of this charity event and did a write up on it because I find it interesting that as popular as BSG is right now amongst the critics the lunch with AT/RDA is bringing in five times the monetary bid as the BSG lunch.

Kudos to AT/RDA/Ben and Joe for donating their time to do something like this. Wish I were the winner.

Kat
              If there were a LOSt auction or DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES auction, you'd hear about. It's quite simple: it's scifi. Scifi has been and always been the stepchild in entertainment. Lame reality shows, stupid soaps, etc. will always be more recognized, as will sports.

Someone paid $10K to kiss RDA? Uh.... okay....

Comment

If there were a LOSt auction or DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES auction, you'd hear about. It's quite simple: it's scifi. Scifi has been and always been the stepchild in entertainment. Lame reality shows, stupid soaps, etc. will always be more recognized, as will sports.

Someone paid $10K to kiss RDA? Uh.... okay....
                Well if you go to the same charity web and click on current auctions you will see that there is a "Desperate Housewives" item up for auction in the World Wildlife section view here.

Lost will have items up for auction for Destination LA:2 to help the California branch of the Children's Defense Fund. more information here

TV shows give set visits for charity auctions all the time. Once in a while you hear about it in mainstream media but often you don't. I was at an event in December for the American Cancer Society were a walk on role and set visit for "Boston Legal" went for $25,000.
                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                  Well if you go to the same charity web and click on current auctions you will see that there is a "Desperate Housewives" item up for auction in the World Wildlife section view here.

Lost will have items up for auction for Destination LA:2 to help the California branch of the Children's Defense Fund. more information here

TV shows give set visits for charity auctions all the time. Once in a while you hear about it in mainstream media but often you don't. I was at an event in December for the American Cancer Society were a walk on role and set visit for "Boston Legal" went for $25,000.
                  I actually was at an auction once in which virtually every person there was loaded to the gills. They had no problem in dropping $5K on a set visit to a show, and THEN doubling it if they could bring along another friend or two.

To some folks, dropping five figures at an auction is nothing. All depends on your income bracket and if you're one of those folks benefiting from the tax cuts for the rich

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

Kat
                    Ironic isn't it? We should probably post a link to Ausiello from TV Guide or something... People in the media should know about this!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                      Ironic isn't it? We should probably post a link to Ausiello from TV Guide or something... People in the media should know about this!
                      And have them start writing articles that label us as 'fanatic's who are so obsessed with actors', no thank you. I've already seen this kinda crap being spouted by so called 'fellow SG-1 fans' on other forums. Comments making fun of this being some 'shipper fan who will bring their S/J barbies with them.' Sheesh! And these are the same fans who if they added it all up would realize they've spent this much money or more on conventions to see the other stargate actors. I know I have and it's my money so I should have the right to do with it what I want and not be ridiculed for it.

Marla
                      ______
                      Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Prices as of today (April 24th)...

Title: Lunch on set of Stargate with Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping and take home a paddle signed by the cast and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
                        Current Bid: $19,000.00
                        Next Bid: $20,000.00
                        Lot Closes: 4/28/2006 6:00:00 PM EST

Title: Enjoy a Unique Lunch on set of Stargate with Ben Browder and cast signed paddle!
                        Current Bid: $4,500.00
                        Next Bid: $4,750.00

Title: Win a Unique Lunch on the Set of Stargate Atlantis with Lead Actor Joe Flanigan and Cast Signed Paddle!
                        Current Bid: $5,500.00
                        Next Bid: $6,000.00

Comment

Wow serious money! Then again if it was lunch with MS I would go to that amount too. I mean it's not that much really. You could combine it with a nice holiday in Canada and with the great exchange rate we in the UK get at then moment.. well it's cheaper than going to say Rome for a couple of weeks.
                          sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by GateAngel
                            And have them start writing articles that label us as 'fanatic's who are so obsessed with actors', no thank you. I've already seen this kinda crap being spouted by so called 'fellow SG-1 fans' on other forums. Comments making fun of this being some 'shipper fan who will bring their S/J barbies with them.' Sheesh! And these are the same fans who if they added it all up would realize they've spent this much money or more on conventions to see the other stargate actors. I know I have and it's my money so I should have the right to do with it what I want and not be ridiculed for it.

Marla
                            I seriously doubt the people who are bidding so high on the AT/RDA lunch are doing so simply because they are shipper fans, because if you look at the bid history for all three Stargate auctions, you will notice that they are the same people who are bidding on all of them. I think one of the bidders is bidding on the BSG lunch as well. Granted there are several other people bidding too, but the ones that continuously keep rebidding are doing so on multiple auctions. I just think they are die hard Stargate fans who obviously have the means to go and probably see this as a great opportunity to meet RDA. Not that they wouldn't be just as excited to meet Amanda, but I think the opportunity to meet RDA is a bit more rare than the other actors. So more power to them, I say.

You are probably correct about spending just as much money on cons. Honestly, if I had not already been to two Stargate conventions in the past six months with two more on the horizon, I probably would still be bidding on the lunch myself.

Kat
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 24 April 2006, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Tue, Apr 25th, 7:37 am....

Title: Lunch on set of Stargate with Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping and take home a paddle signed by the cast and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

Title: Lunch on set of BattleStar Galactica with Edward James Olmos and Katee Sackhoff

Current Bid: $3,250.00
                              Next Bid: $3,500.00

Title: Enjoy a Unique Lunch on set of Stargate with Ben Browder and cast signed paddle!

Title: Win a Unique Lunch on the Set of Stargate Atlantis with Lead Actor Joe Flanigan and Cast Signed Paddle!

Tossed in the BSG one, what the heck.

Personally I think $19K for lunch in insane, but... if this person is wealthy, heck, this could be what they spend on a weekend trip. You never know. Could be a wealthy parent going, okay, I'll get this for my daughter's (or son's) birthday. They'll love it.

Or it could be a fan who just isn't going to eat the rest of '06, or has taken out a mortgage (don't laugh, I've seen fans max their credits into five figures to do cons and they have no job).

Now if this were a lunch with some sports figure, nobody would be saying a thing as sports fans can act as nuts as they want and nobody thinks twice about it...

Comment

Tue, Apr 25th, 7:37 am....

Title: Lunch on set of BattleStar Galactica with Edward James Olmos and Katee Sackhoff
                                Current Bid: $3,250.00
                                Next Bid: $3,500.00

Tossed in the BSG one, what the heck.

Personally I think $19K for lunch in insane, but... if this person is wealthy, heck, this could be what they spend on a weekend trip. You never know. Could be a wealthy parent going, okay, I'll get this for my daughter's (or son's) birthday. They'll love it.

Or it could be a fan who just isn't going to eat the rest of '06, or has taken out a mortgage (don't laugh, I've seen fans max their credits into five figures to do cons and they have no job).

Now if this were a lunch with some sports figure, nobody would be saying a thing as sports fans can act as nuts as they want and nobody thinks twice about it...
                                Yeah, it's amazing how everyone has a different point of view regarding money. My husband was telling me about a discussion he had with one of the VP's of his company. The person mentioned they were vacationing at a private little villa in Europe for three weeks this summer. The cost of the vacation was $15,000 a week.

I personally can't imagine how someone in California could be willing to pay close to a million dollars for a 1500 sq ft house, but people do it everyday. It's all about priorities.

Comment

Working...
                                X