• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a surprise!

Not.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...or-bankruptcy/

FTA:

"highly anticipated MMO Stargate Worlds"? Highly anticipated? That's a bit of an overstatement. Few people in the gaming community even realized that this was a thing. And even less covered it in the press.

Either ways, any talented staff that the company had will likely get picked up by other developers, while the the rest will have to find something else to do.

This is why you don't make shoddy video games based on mildly successful franchises. They never work out.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

This is getting beyond a joke, either give the developers the money they need or take away the license and give it to someone who can make a game.

Or just reskin Mass Effect and replace the Normandy with the SGC and Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by VOOK View Post
        This is getting beyond a joke, either give the developers the money they need or take away the license and give it to someone who can make a game.

Someone made a brilliant looking Crysis mod with the SGC and the Stargate. Even has Master Chief sitting on a Toilet

It's not specifically stargate though, it's a mishmash of a bunch of Sci-fi shows still pretty awesome though.
        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

*sigh* If only BioWare (and, of course, allowed by EA) would pick up the IP...heck, even Obsidian (while not everyone liked Neverwinter Nights 2, I think they did a good enough job w/ Mask of the Betrayer) could do it, or CCP (EVE Online, upcoming Dust 514 and the World of Darkness MMO, I think), or CD Projekt (who, IMHO, did a great job w/ The Witcher, which was based on a Polish novel series)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
            *sigh* If only BioWare (and, of course, allowed by EA) would pick up the IP...heck, even Obsidian (while not everyone liked Neverwinter Nights 2, I think they did a good enough job w/ Mask of the Betrayer) could do it, or CCP (EVE Online, upcoming Dust 514 and the World of Darkness MMO, I think), or CD Projekt (who, IMHO, did a great job w/ The Witcher, which was based on a Polish novel series)
            Like I said all the big companies probably won't be that interested, they've all got their own games based on their own universes they've designed that are each worth hundreds of millions and in some cases billions of dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
              Like I said all the big companies probably won't be that interested, they've all got their own games based on their own universes they've designed that are each worth hundreds of millions and in some cases billions of dollars.
              Yup. That's the 'sad' bit.
              sigpic

Comment

Yup. That's the 'sad' bit.
                Not for them, and not for the consumer in the long run, we're enjoying excellent original titles form them rather than them being stuck making crappy licensed games.

Comment

I'm exceedingly happy with Mass Effect as it is. Mass Relays are at least as cool as Stargates...
                  Closer to the topic, I think a singleplayer game would have been a more reasonable starting point for a Stargate title. Starting with an MMO as a first game was not a good plan.
                  Not for them, and not for the consumer in the long run, we're enjoying excellent original titles from them ...
                  Quoted For Epic Truth.
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                  Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                  Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                  Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                  Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Not for them, and not for the consumer in the long run, we're enjoying excellent original titles form them rather than them being stuck making crappy licensed games.
                    Yup, I kinda agree. Tho' it'd be nice if, somehow, someday, a 'decent' developer goes around to making a good/great Stargate game.
                    At the moment, I guess the fan-made mods will have to do (not that that's a bad thing, mind, as some mods tend to look better than the 'official' stuff)

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                    Closer to the topic, I think a singleplayer game would have been a more reasonable starting point for a Stargate title. Starting with an MMO as a first game was not a good plan.
                    Agreed.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yup, I kinda agree. Tho' it'd be nice if, somehow, someday, a 'decent' developer goes around to making a good/great Stargate game.
                      At the moment, I guess the fan-made mods will have to do (not that that's a bad thing, mind, as some mods tend to look better than the 'official' stuff)
                      Well the problem with newer companies is that they risk failure and problems more than the larger companies, but realistically you’re going to have to find either a new or smaller company to make a stargate game and take the risks that go with a less established company. This would probably end up with a decent Stargate game if they chose a developer who knew what they were doing, instead however Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment got the job and have shown themselves to be about as far away from competent as you can get.

Comment

The Game has finally been "smashed". This sucks, I mean really sucks. I defended this game from the very beginning and I was wrong.

In Canada we have 2 video game shows that run side by side with each other and hosted by the same guy, EP Daily/Reviews On The Run, totally smashed the game calling it "the first truly bad game of 2010", this is really dissapointing.

Other online reviews are not so favorable as well, so far the general consensus is Cheyenne rushed the game to make a buck and failed big time. I know some of you here "predicted" this but still, it sucks to see it fail so bad. Maybe Stargate Worlds will never come out now?
                        They Say He Travels The Gate Network Searching The Universe For Powerful Technology, They Call Him...... The Gate Traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Traveller View Post
                          The Game has finally been "smashed". This sucks, I mean really sucks. I defended this game from the very beginning and I was wrong.

In Canada we have 2 video game shows that run side by side with each other and hosted by the same guy, EP Daily/Reviews On The Run, totally smashed the game calling it "the first truly bad game of 2010", this is really dissapointing.

Other online reviews are not so favorable as well, so far the general consensus is Cheyenne rushed the game to make a buck and failed big time. I know some of you here "predicted" this but still, it sucks to see it fail so bad. Maybe Stargate Worlds will never come out now?
                          I doubt Stargate worlds will ever appear. They need to give the license to a company that knows what it’s doing.

Comment

I doubt MGM will bother with Stargate games again after all of this. Very disappointing...

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Traveller View Post

Well, I don't think any of us who predicted it's failure are celebrating that fact - it's a sad thing, really, it just seemed inevitable to a lot of us based on what we saw, and I don't think for a second anybody is actually going "told you so". It is certainly a shame - I would have been happy to be wrong.

I doubt Stargate worlds will ever appear. They need to give the license to a company that knows what it’s doing.
                              You're right, that is exactly what they need to do - I just don't think it's going to happen now.

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                              I doubt MGM will bother with Stargate games again after all of this. Very disappointing...
                              Agreed. Maybe in a few years, maybe if/when somebody buys MGM or the Stargate franchise it might get 'proper' treatment. Decent budget, experienced company, slightly less ambitious and more broadly appealing game (surely the console market is a better bet for making money off videogames?)...who knows?
                              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

The Problem about it all is that Stargate just dose not have a big enough market right now. In all honesty it is just not profitable to make merchandise for Stargate because, although the fan base is big, its not big enough. Sure people will buy it, but not enough people will buy it.
                                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Working...
                                X