Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although the shipping was pretty fast, it still felt as though the days went as slow as seemingly possible. Despite that, my Animated Teal'c Maquette is here, so here's a review. Unfortunately, I can't add pics this time as my camera has decided to quit talking to my computer. Anyways...

Apparently it's sold well, as my edition is #601. I'm sure that might be a bit off though assuming they weren't grabbed in exact number order, but it still sounds promising.

First thing we see is obviously the box, with simple but attractive packaging. Definitely something you will want to display along with the figures - most likely as a background. The front is quite expected; a picture of the maquette with usual descriptive graphics of Stargate SG-1 and that it's "Season One" Teal'c. I'm quite curious if that means we'll see versions of characters by season. That could easily get quite interesting... Examining the packaging further leads you to find that the sides are adorned with versions of the original artwork. One side has an outline version, while the alternate side has the beautiful fully colored version. These are accompanied with the (artist's?) signature. The bottom is plain white, the top is mostly a repeat of the front, but the back strikes uniqueness as it's the rear of the maquette; very nice touch. Another great touch is that the box is not taped up. It's comforting not to have to worry about the tape tearing at the surface of the cardboard, or eventually yellowing.

Upon opening it up, you’ll find Teal’c entombed in a big block of styrofoam with two opening ends. This is taped up, but it doesn't concern me as much as tape on the exterior packaging. In one side, the diminutive maquette is wrapped in a plastic protector, and held firmly by the surrounding styrofoam. The base isn't present - found later in the other side - but the staff is. The staff comes in two pieces, connected to one another after sliding them through the maquette's closed fist. The sculpting of the staff is well done, as it's beautifully adorned with a complex array of sculpted lines on the head, as well on the rear spoon area. Interestingly, I notice quite a bit of similarity between it and DST's staff as they share inaccurate characteristics. Perhaps it served as inspiration for the artwork? Whether coincidental or inspirational, it works better in a stylized appearance than it does for DST’s line. I would prefer to see a more accurate version in the future, though.

After carefully removing Teal’c from the styrofoam, you really get the impression of the solidness as the pint-sized hero is accompanied with unexpected weight. However, disappointment is moderately present. Granted, measurements were known long before it's release, they just never quite prepare you for the real life version - especially as images go without scale reference. The height of the maquette without the stand is exactly the same height a DST's Serpent Guard (without helmet), however the maquette is bulkier, heftier, and not to get into cliches, but... his staff weapon is bigger. So, it does at least appear bigger than the figure.

Getting past the small stature of the maquette, the animated styling can now be fully admired. Despite the exaggerated styling, you still are quite sure it's Teal'c. Not simply because you know it's supposed to be, but rather that the artist and sculptor were both quite talented in capturing Christopher Judge's likeness and exaggerate it enough to be unique stylized, but not ridiculous. My only nitpick regarding the head is I would have preferred the Goa'uld logo in a more gold coloring rather than orange.

The rest of the body holds a fair amount of complexity with all of the armor’s lines being sculpted, and then filled in with paint. It's also decorated with what appears to be silver paint to simulate weathering, as though the armor has definitely seen some action. It works well - you don’t notice it from a couple away or more, but it leaves something to attract your eye as you take a closer look. This is carried out on all areas of the armor, even on the back and shin areas, so you shouldn’t be worried about displaying this at any angle, or with a mirror. Based on the artwork on the side, the sculptor(s) did an amazingly accurate job at replicating it into the 3D world.

As mentioned earlier, the maquette holds the staff by assembling it after sliding in the bottom portion through the fist, and then the top half slides onto that. This is where it's both fortunate and unfortunate; the grip is loose enough to not have you paranoid of breaking it when you insert it into the fist - although due to be careful regardless - but afterwards, it feels too loose. With the angling of the fist, he holds the staff over the side of the base leaving it to dangle for the rest of it's displayed life. Although it likely isn't a problem since it’s made out of rigid material, it still leaves me a bit uneasy as I would prefer it sitting comfortably on the base.

As for the stand, it’s a wonderful replication of the Stargate and features the limited number out of 1000 on the bottom amongst other details. The bottom also has four footpads are attached to keep the bottom from getting scratched, which is an unexpected but appreciated inclusion. Teal’c is attached to the stand by rectangular boxes sculpted on the stand plugging into his feet, which are made to not be too snug so hazardous amounts of applied pressure isn’t required to mount him.

Using the newsletter’s limited coupon which put it at $75 delivered, I feel it’s a great value compared to statues from other franchises out there. However, at $90 + shipping, I’m not so sure I’d feel as satisfied with the value/price ratio. Granted, it’s a great item created by a talented artist, sculptor(s), with an excellent hand-painted finishing, but there is still that feeling that it needs something more for $90+. I think, at the very least, a certificate of authenticity should have been included. After the great job that was done for the F-302’s certificate, it was disappointing to not have one included here. Overall, I have to say I look forward to future releases and feel that if you really have a passion for Stargate, you’ll love this unique item without any regret. Reservations regarding the price or scale perhaps, but definitely not regret.

Comment

I received my own Teal'c few days ago (#38/1000). I was maybe a little bit surprised per the size of it but it is really good quality.
      I will not describe all the good points of the maquette but only the negative ones
      The first one is the color of Teal'c's tattoo on his head... it is very... orange! I wished it was more gold coloured.
      The second one is the way to assemble the staff weapon... even if it is indeed a good solution, I would have prefered a entire staff weapon already in Teal'c's hand.

Except these point, this maquette is really a must have.
      Last edited by Prometheus62; 02 August 2009, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jedigreedo and Prometheus62! Appreciate your fair and balanced reviews of Teal'c!

Comment

DEAL ALERT!

Just saw this over at ThinkGeek.com – they're selling our F-302 replica for $59.95! I don't know how long that deal is going to run, but I think they're really trying to draw in more Stargate fans to the site ;-)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/bf91/

Comment

Originally posted by QMx Andy View Post
            Just saw this over at ThinkGeek.com – they're selling our F-302 replica for $59.95! I don't know how long that deal is going to run, but I think they're really trying to draw in more Stargate fans to the site ;-)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/bf91/
            Now I almost wish I hadn't bought mine as soon as it came out (almost).

I was just wondering if there was any word about when we might see the Death Glider model, or any other SG ship replicas. Al'kesh, cargo ship, Puddle Jumper... *hint* *hint*
            Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

So any update on any of the stargate projects? (such as the Death glider model ect.)

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

If you would field a Star Trek question,

Is the new metal Enterprise that comes with the Blu Ray DVD from the new movie detachable from the stand? Thanks!
                sigpic

Comment

According to the QMX Facebook page, they did a new prototype of statue...
                  http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7689916_n.jpg

I'm a little bit disapointed... I was hopping a brand new space ship (like the Prometheus or Odyssey, the death glidder or a jumper!)...
                  For a statue I would have prefer a realistic Horus jaffa or an other SG1 based animatted figure...

Comment

It looks like it may be based off of the MMORPG Stargate Worlds?

Great looking piece, although I have to say I'll pass on it since I don't really like the Stargate Worlds designs. I was REALLY hoping it was either the Death Glider or the next animated-style maquette.

Comment

Looks like the maquette they were raffling at the Stargate Worlds booth last year.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Id like to see some more ships please, something to accompany the F302 !!

Thx

Comment

Here's an idea!

I got it form Jedigreedos's orogonal comment in post 113 - How about a GDO calculator? (Similar to those ruler calculators?) Would be cheaper than the remote to produce?
                          Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 11 September 2009, 01:07 PM.
                          Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                          Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

QMX Andy - Can you answer my Star Trek question please?? It will help me decide whether to get one or not!
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry, folks. Once again the forums have inexplicably stopped informing us when there are new messages here. We just got back from Dragon*Con and noticed the backlog of new questions here. My apologies, but now that we're here, let's take a crack at answering some of these:

- Metal Enterprise Amazon bundle (or, as we've been referring to it, the "Metalprise"). The ship can indeed be unscrewed from the base. Both are solid metal, with a mix of pewter, chrome and textured steel finishes. It's the nicest piece of metalwork we've ever done (and the most complex). It will only be available as part of the Amazon bundle.

- The Female Jaffa warrior sculpture is an evolution of a design that started life from the MMO, but has now become a design unto itself. We showed this piece at Dragon*Con and, after the Serenity replica, it was the most popular product we had on display (if anyone here was at the Con and saw it, please let us know your thoughts). It really needs to be seen in person – it's 15 inches tall and absolutely stunning. We decided to pick up the work from the artist because we couldn't bear the thought that it would otherwise never see the light of day. It's that good.

- The Female Jaffa statue is a "bonus" item in the product plan. The sculpt for the next anime-style Stargate maquette is complete and the paint master is almost done, as well. It's Daniel Jackson and is the same scale as Teal'c! Preliminary work has already begun on Samantha Carter, who will follow Daniel.

- Ships. Not to worry! We are working on the next few ships; in fact, we finally approved the principal sculpture for the Death Glider last week. It took a bit longer than anticipated because we ended up rejecting several attempts for not being detailed enough. The problem was the digital files for the ship had a lot a minuscule detail in them, but they were only painted on (surface rendered). An actual model of all the relief on the ship didn't exist. We ultimately had to go back and resculpt the ship digitally, adding in all the detail that the effects files only hinted at. But I'm happy to say the sculpt is now complete and approved, and if all goes well the Death Glider will even put the F-302 to shame when it's done.

After the Death Glider we will be moving on to the BC-304 class cruiser.

Okay, so I think that covers the question backlog. If we're ever silent for too long, please feel free to ping our webmaster account at [email protected]. We absolutely want to answer any and all questions we can!

Thanks!

- Andy

Comment

Better late than never. Thanks for all the info, I can't wait to see Daniel and the Glider!

Comment

Working...
                                X