X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
    <blink> Okay, that's odd.

It looks to me (though it's hard to tell because of the image quality) that they've got me listed as Beth on that cover instead of Elizabeth ... which, while still accurate, suggests to me that this was an early mock-up design. Don't know if it originally came from Fandy or one of the bookseller sites, though. We're asking questions, so stay tuned. Meanwhile, like Sonny said, if anyone's actually seen this cover (screen cap from "Rising," isn't it?), let us know ...
    Have to say, the little blurb/synopsis they've got on that webpage doesn't seem entirely accurate either?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Fallon View Post
      [*]Beware the characterization - the characters in any tie-in work are defined by the series that spawned them and you can't go giving them experiences (or permanent scars, have them shave their heads, or amputate any limbs, for that matter) that will fundamentally alter them. Epiphanies are a big no-no. When writing my own stuff quite the opposite is true. A character must have evolved and somehow been changed by their experiences be the end of the book. In tie-in books, you have to reset the clock to zero at the end of the story.
      Having said that, with some characters you do have more freedom. Ford and Jonas for example.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
        Have to say, the little blurb/synopsis they've got on that webpage doesn't seem entirely accurate either?
        Answer from the fine folks at Fandy ("this message brought to you by the letter F"): That site has an outdated cover and the original synopsis. The UK wholesaler had requested cover images before the final cover art was ready, so Fandy gave them a quick temporary cover in the meantime.

So there aren't any alternate-cover "special editions" out there, in case anyone was curious. Why they've still got that old image posted when the correct one's been available for months is anyone's guess ...

And to expand a little on what Jennifer said about characterizations: For me, part of the fun of these novels lies in testing the limits of what we can do with the characters while staying within canon. Full-fledged personal epiphanies, maybe not, but there's still a lot of room for development -- as long as we're careful about not bumping into anything the show might someday contradict.
        Beth
        http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
        http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post

Mystery solved on the play.com cover and blurb. It was a *very* early mockup but you know what databases are like when it comes to trying to change things...

Sonny
          Sonny
          www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            Having said that, with some characters you do have more freedom. Ford and Jonas for example.
            Within limits, though. We have no way of knowing if Ford will ever return, and although Jonas is even less likely, until a series reaches its absolute conclusion (and I mean the entire world where that series takes place, so Atlantis is an ongoing component) you really have to tread lightly.

Sonny
            Sonny
            www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cinc1 View Post
              I just finished reading [I]
              In general, how do the authors feel about writing novelizations? I’m guessing you’d prefer to write original stories, but maybe an adaptation is a good writing exercise? Or maybe there’s a point in ones writing carrier where any job’s a good job?
              Haven't quite reached that point. If I ever do, I'll hang up my pen The nature of freelance is that you pick and choose what you would like to do. Most of my freelance proposals are not accepted on face value, rather, the editor will come back to me and say something like, 'we don't need an article on the Valley of the Kings, but we like your work so can you do something on the Tasmanian wilderness?' (BTW, that's *exactly* what happened last week, and what I'm about to get started on today).You can then choose to say yes/no, and even then, the article (in this instance, young adult to university level education) must confirm to what the editor needs. Last non-fiction piece I did was a step by step guide on how to photograph an erupting volcano. I don't see any of these as an exercise; they're just a reflection of my eclectic interests and lifestyle.

More specifically in relation to Stargate, there are several SG-1 milestones coming up (namely the final episode, followed by the movies The Ark of Truth and Continuum). Has there been any talk about novelizations of these? Would any of the authors be interested in doing this if offered? (Or willing to do it if assigned? Do professional writers even get “assignments” anymore?) It seems like an opportunity for some cross-marketing to promote the entire line of Fandemonium novels along with these “events”. (Of course there’s no guarantee that any of these milestones will be promoted much outside of the established fandom, but one can hope…)
              Sure, I'd love to tackle a novelisation. It's an entirely different format again to creating your own world within an existent framework. You're interpreting a highly visual and aural medium and translating it to little back lines on a 2D piece of paper. Challenging and creative in its own way. I'm not certain if novelisations are planned, however.

Sonny
              Sonny
              www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

So far we've had alot of novels with the usual bad guys in there somehow. There's only been one Atlantis novel that doesn't involve the Wraith, and 1 SG1 novel that doesn't include the Goa'uld. Are there any chances of new novels which include those enemies TPTB just threw in the one-off bin?

Foothold Aliens for example.
                sigpic

Comment

So far we've had alot of novels with the usual bad guys in there somehow. There's only been one Atlantis novel that doesn't involve the Wraith, and 1 SG1 novel that doesn't include the Goa'uld. Are there any chances of new novels which include those enemies TPTB just threw in the one-off bin?

Foothold Aliens for example.
                  I think the biggest enemy of all is fear. To Quote Churchill (Sonny crosses this error out and replaces it with Roosevelt, thanks to her other co-author <g>), the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Because it is what people do when they are fear something (and I include all and any gods in that, because people act on their beliefs, which are largely driven by fear, including fear of what happens after you die) that can drive a story.

So, for example in Exogenesis
                  Spoiler:
                  It was not the Wraith that drove people (and Ancients) to act as they did, but fear of the Wraith. The Wraith themselves never put in an appearance, and it was the physical attributes/changes to the planets that created adversarial situations
                  and in Trial By Fire
                  Spoiler:
                  Although Baal puts in an appearance near the end, it was largely the people's beliefs, their mythology, that drove them to act as they did

It's certainly possible to say, 'how about we do a story featuring the aliens from 'Foothold' (which I'm not intending, BTW )'
                  ultimately, the story will be driven by the actions of the human characters, their fears. The bad guys are just a trigger point.

Personally, I'm much more interested in exploring stories that revolve around people's beliefs, our mythologies - and not just ancient history mythologies but modern, urban myths. A classic example (and here's my utterly shameless plug ) is the mythology of Roswell. Belief and fear - two of the greatest adversaries around.

BTW, I just have to mention this. Jen and I managed a sneak peak at the draft cover for Roswell (which I believe is well on track for a May release). There may need to be some changes due to licensing considerations, but we both sat cooing over it for about an hour at 1.30am the other morning, and have decided to get it blown up to super sized posters to stick on our respective walls. It is just so perfectly, well, Roswellian! Fingers crossed I'll have chapter one up on my website very shortly.

Roswell was an absolute hoot to write. I spent about 3 weeks reading ('kay, I'll be honest, re-reading, because I soaked this stuff up as a kid) everything I could on the subject, and I had already done a considerable amount of research on one of the guest characters, for my MA. So then it was just a case of telling the story from a slightly offbeat SG POV.

Roswell features a large cast: Jack, Mitchell, Teal'c, Sam, Daniel and Vala - and I can't tell you how much fun Vala was to write. What else can I say? Hm...not much, except that it's set in early Season 10 - no overt spoilers for S10, however events or tech referred to places it in that time frame.

On another note, we've just finished writing a short story for the magazine. Technically, the story is due out in April/May edition, but that will depend on a final editorial decision based on other content. Given the fun we had with Vala's character in Roswell, this one is from her POV.
                  Last edited by sonny1; 24 February 2007, 03:39 AM.
                  Sonny
                  www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

A Season 10 novel?! Woot. It's about time. I can imagine how fun Vala would have been, what with her always commenting about not using cultural references and etc. The idea of slapping her into something to do with Roswell must have been a hoot to write.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sonny1 View Post
                      I think the biggest enemy of all is fear. To Quote Churchill, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
                      I think there's been a mixup of WWII-era leaders. Try Roosevelt.
                      Beth

Comment

Someone got pawned!
                        sigpic

Comment

Someone got pawned!
                          LOL! Yup, got me! I fixed it in text. I excuse myself on the grounds of being so excited by the cover...This is why I have co-authors. So they can thump me over the head
                          Sonny
                          www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sonny1 View Post
                            LOL! Yup, got me! I fixed it in text. I excuse myself on the grounds of being so excited by the cover...This is why I have co-authors. So they can thump me over the head
                            I probably shouldn't set myself up as the Attribution Police. As Sonny and Sabine well know, I'm the genius who misattributed "Also sprach Zarathustra," better known as the theme to 2001: A Space Odyssey, to Wagner rather than Strauss. (Well, it was one of those German guys.)

Looking forward to seeing that cover, though...
                            Beth

Comment

Yes, me too *wink wink*
                              sigpic

Comment

A Season 10 novel?! Woot. It's about time. I can imagine how fun Vala would have been, what with her always commenting about not using cultural references and etc. The idea of slapping her into something to do with Roswell must have been a hoot to write.
                                Ah... you have no idea how much fun it was. The book is peppered with a mixture of Vala getting annoyed at the others for using cultural references she doesn't understand, and her trying to use them herself, which, of course, she invariably gets wrong.

Don't know if anyone else will find them funny, but Sonny and I had more than one late night phone conversation where we sat there cracking ourselves up over her dialog as we were going through the manuscript

The short story is a hoot too, with a fabulous twist at the end. Sonny thought that bit up, of course. She really does have a devious mind, you know.

And Sonny's right about the cover, too. It's perfect. I do hope they'll let us keep it.

(Note to Sonny - and you thought your plug was shameless...hahahaha)
                                Jennifer Fallon
                                www.jenniferfallon.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X