This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
    Thanks a bunch, Alipeeps! It's especially nice to hear that you like the way we see the characters, since that's always one of my personal priorities.

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here sulking (for a while) about my team's shockingly bad performance in the Rose Bowl ...
    ((HUGS)) to you. I can sympathize, my team (Cincy Bengals) lost it big time the last two games of the season. I haven't gotten over it yet. Don't think I will for some time either.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks a bunch, Alipeeps! It's especially nice to hear that you like the way we see the characters, since that's always one of my personal priorities.

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here sulking (for a while) about my team's shockingly bad performance in the Rose Bowl ...
      (((Elizabeth))) - I know this is so OT but man the Fiesta Bowl was great - oh and GO GATORS
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
        (((Elizabeth))) - I know this is so OT but man the Fiesta Bowl was great - oh and GO GATORS
        Agreed -- I stayed up until 1 to see the crazy-fun finish to the Fiesta. I think I'm supposed to be all "Big Ten solidarity, go Bucks" now, but since our game went so far off the rails (and since my Buckeye coworkers are guaranteed to be insufferable about it), I'm highly tempted to cheer for Florida and watch the whole BCS implode.

(And sorry, GG: NFL-wise, I grew up a Lions fan, so I don't know what it's like to be that close to making the playoffs...)

Apologies to all who don't follow U.S. football and are waiting for this tangent to end. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
        Beth
        http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
        http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Oh, characterisation has got the be one of the most important elements of writing for any kind of fandom.. after all, the reason that we become fans of a show is because are interested in/enjoy the people, the characters in the show. If those characters are not accurately portrayed in a tie-in novel, then much of the interest is lost (and it's also the reason - aside from my own personal bugbears concerning hideous grammar and spelling, or the lack thereof! - why so much fanfic is so absolutely awful! People hijack the characters for their own agenda, making them behave completely OOC to further the interests of their alleged plotline!)

*ahem* Sorry. Went off on a bit of a tangent of my own there!

Anyway, point being - you don't mind if I repeat my praise of you guys, do you? - the "voices" of the characters in this novel (so far - still enjoying it at a leisurely pace.. gotta parcel out the enjoyment or it'll all be over too soon ad I'll have nothing to read!) are excellent and you've really captured the way they speak, the way they react and interact. It's lovely. If I can read a book like this and hear the actor's voices in my head saying those lines, then that's a damn good sign that the writing and the characterisation are great.
          sigpic

Comment

Congratulations to the authors – and Fandemonium – on another victory towards the success of the series! I was at my local Barnes & Noble bookstore tonight and saw the novels on the shelf for the first time. I’ve already purchased my copies direct from Fandemonium, but the more exposure the books get the better it is for everyone. They had A Matter of Honor, Rising and The Chosen in stock. Now I just have to find a subtle way to move them into a more prominent display…

~ Mike

Comment

Hi Alipeeps and Cinc1

Thanks so much for the support, it really does make it worthwhile to know that the work we put in is appreciated. It's not possible, of course, to keep everyone happy because each fan brings something different to their perceptions of the characters and what they want and hope for them. Having said that, Beth is just an absolute natural with Shepard and I often feel when she sends me some tight scene work and dialogue that I should just give up entirely on him <g>. I was fortunate enough to have had a brief talk with Torri, and somewhat longer time with Paul and David about their characters before the first draft of The Chosen was finished. While the show's writers create the characters, there's a natural feedback. The scriptwriters see what unique nuances the actor brings to the character, and then they incorporate that into their writing. It's a fascinating process to watch the evolution of a character from the pilot through the seasons.

cheers
              Sonny
              www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Hey, Farscapefan!

I've just come up for air after writing the first draft of an SG-1 Season 10 story, working title (which will change) Post Hoc, which, naturally, features all of the Season 10 characters, including Jack (nope, didn't telphone in this one) Mitchell and Vala. It's not Vala centric, but then, it's not centric to any one character, but I have to say we had a huge amount of fun with this one.

I say we, because while Beth and I have planned another joint SGA novel, Beth has been working on one of her own while I teamed up with a very well known novelist onan SG-1 title, purely for the fun of it. Of course, with Vala involved, how could we not have fun?

cheers
                Sonny
                www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Now I've come up for air between books, I suddenly realised that I'm off to my first 2007 con in a few weeks, this one with Joe Flanigan. As much as I love the vibrancy of the big exhibition cons, I always look forward to the BOBW cons, (www.bobw.com.au ) because we're all in a small hotel together, its over an entire four days and nights, including a cruise, and there's rarely more than around 100 people a day, sometimes as little as 40, so it feels more like a family get together than a con. I think my son spent 90% of the time in the hotel pool with Cliff Simon last time, and the rest of it playing sword fights or something - never was too clear on the details, but it was definitely a boy thing - with Bam Bam.

Anyway, for those coming, I'll have copies of The Chosen and Exoegenesis, but please don't hesitate to bring any pre-purchased novels along because I'll be around all weekend and am happy to sign them.

Cheers
                  Sonny
                  www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sonny1 View Post
                    Now I've come up for air between books, I suddenly realised that I'm off to my first 2007 con in a few weeks, this one with Joe Flanigan. As much as I love the vibrancy of the big exhibition cons, I always look forward to the BOBW cons, (www.bobw.com.au ) because we're all in a small hotel together, its over an entire four days and nights, including a cruise, and there's rarely more than around 100 people a day, sometimes as little as 40, so it feels more like a family get together than a con. I think my son spent 90% of the time in the hotel pool with Cliff Simon last time, and the rest of it playing sword fights or something - never was too clear on the details, but it was definitely a boy thing - with Bam Bam.

Anyway, for those coming, I'll have copies of The Chosen and Exoegenesis, but please don't hesitate to bring any pre-purchased novels along because I'll be around all weekend and am happy to sign them.

Cheers
                    Man that con sounds just awesome! *sighs despondently*

I'll keep my fingers crossed that I win the lottery some time within the next coupla weeks so I can fly out to Oz and join you all there!
                    sigpic

Comment

I just finished reading both Alliances and Exogenesis and found both an excellent read. I would like to thank Karen Miller, Sonny Whitelaw and Elizabeth Christensen for your excellent work. I thoroughly enjoyed reading both of them. You all have really captured the voices of the characters and I could really see them saying and doing the things of which you wrote.

I did have a question for Karen Miller, however. On page 160 of Alliances, your book references Nirrti being responsible for Kynthea's people from Brief Candle. Other than the "god" referenced in that episode, Pelopps (sp?), I have never read or seen any reference to Nirrti having anything to do with those folks so was wondering how this connection was made?
                      sigpic

Comment

Sabine, I have to say that your Trial By Fire and how it dealt with the Abyss aftermath is probably my favorite of all of the books so far. I have read it several times. I love the humor and you really know O'Neill. The interaction between him and the professor has me laughing every time I read it.

It may have been the scariest one for you to write but it was an excellent and very successful endeavor, in my opinion. Thank you very much. I always look forward to anything you write.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cinc1 View Post
                          Congratulations to the authors – and Fandemonium – on another victory towards the success of the series! I was at my local Barnes & Noble bookstore tonight and saw the novels on the shelf for the first time. I’ve already purchased my copies direct from Fandemonium, but the more exposure the books get the better it is for everyone. They had A Matter of Honor, Rising and The Chosen in stock. Now I just have to find a subtle way to move them into a more prominent display…

~ Mike
                          Woo-hoo! <does happy dance> I've been checking the shelves at a couple of local-ish B&N stores whenever I wander through ... this is terrific news. Thanks much, Mike -- you've made my night! Now if more people request them, maybe more stores will choose to stock them ...

Thanks to penjab as well; it's great to hear that you're enjoying the books!
                          Beth
                          http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                          http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Woo-hoo! <does happy dance> I've been checking the shelves at a couple of local-ish B&N stores whenever I wander through ... this is terrific news. Thanks much, Mike -- you've made my night! Now if more people request them, maybe more stores will choose to stock them ...

Thanks to penjab as well; it's great to hear that you're enjoying the books!
                            The B&N here in town carries the novels too. I haven't seen all the titles, but there were at least four or five of them - both Sg1 and SgA. Word is getting out. But I still like ordering from Fandy.
                            sigpic

Comment

Happy New Year, all!

I'm back and gradually emerging from a roaring jetlag. Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong now features as one of the great culturally transcendent experiences of my life. Five hours layover on Chinese soil and every minute of it steeped in Western Christmas muzak. Go figure...

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                              However Sabine I have to say I got in trouble in the pit at last nights show because I was reading "Survival of The Fittest" wow I'm really enjoying it
                              Tsaxlady, your MD should try the RSC in Stratford; they've got the orchestra on a scaffold backstage. Walking underneath during performance is life-threatening, 'cos you're liable to be struck by beer cans dropped from above. A little light reading strikes me as harmless by comparison. Thanks for the thumbs-up! I live for getting people into trouble Seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying it. And BTW, I'm a sucker for sax

Originally posted by penjab
                              Sabine, I have to say that your Trial By Fire and how it dealt with the Abyss aftermath is probably my favorite of all of the books so far. I have read it several times. I love the humor and you really know O'Neill. The interaction between him and the professor has me laughing every time I read it.

It may have been the scariest one for you to write but it was an excellent and very successful endeavor, in my opinion. Thank you very much. I always look forward to anything you write.
                              Thank you, penjab! Now that you mention it, getting a stab at the Abyss fallout more than made up for the scariness of going first. I'd been dying to do something with the aftermath, so having that chance was great, and it's good to know that it works for you.

To conclude on a shameless note of self-promotion: pending final confirmation, which should be forthcoming shortly, I'll be attending the Creation Con in Vancouver this March, doing a Q&A session and a book signing and stuff

Hope to meet some of you in person there!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine Bauer View Post
                                To conclude on a shameless note of self-promotion: pending final confirmation, which should be forthcoming shortly, I'll be attending the Creation Con in Vancouver this March, doing a Q&A session and a book signing and stuff

Hope to meet some of you in person there!
                                OMG!!!! I'll get to meet you!!! Vancouver will be my first ever Stargate con. Now to dig out my books for you to sign!! SQUEE!!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X