This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
    OMG!!!! I'll get to meet you!!! Vancouver will be my first ever Stargate con. Now to dig out my books for you to sign!! SQUEE!!!!
    Cool! Look forward to seeing you there, Gate Geek!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine Bauer View Post
      Cool! Look forward to seeing you there, Gate Geek!
      Well, other than the three headliners, I can add you to the list of celebrities I must see and meet. So...do we have to pay for your autographs? And are you allowing pictures with your fans?
      sigpic

Comment

Well, other than the three headliners, I can add you to the list of celebrities I must see and meet. So...do we have to pay for your autographs? And are you allowing pictures with your fans?
        I guess I won't start charging for autographs until I match J K Rowling's sales figures. And if your camera can stand it, by all means, let's take pictures

Anyway, that's my take on it, and I can't imagine that the organizers will differ. I'll ask, though. Anyway, Beth's done a Creation Con recently--Chicago, I think--so Be-eth? You didn't charge for autographs, didya?

Comment

I guess I won't start charging for autographs until I match J K Rowling's sales figures. And if your camera can stand it, by all means, let's take pictures

Anyway, that's my take on it, and I can't imagine that the organizers will differ. I'll ask, though. Anyway, Beth's done a Creation Con recently--Chicago, I think--so Be-eth? You didn't charge for autographs, didya?

Geez, don't even mention charging for autographs/pics with the authors. If Cretin Con can make money they will do it.

If any authors live relatively close to Maryland you might want to try to go to Shore Leave. It's very friendly to authors. Peter David is evil. He writes Mystery Trekkie Theatre every year. A must see for anyone whose a fan.Trek authors are the biggies there but there should be enough Stargate fans there to be fun. <g> Especially if you can bring books. TO be honest I went to that con some years to see the authors, not the actors.

suse

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I echo suse comments!!

NO NO NO don't ask!!! I'm being nickeled and dimed and treated like cattle by Cretin as it is!! I just want some laid back fun with some great celebrities.

So why aren't the rest of the authors attending??? Hmmmmm???
            sigpic

Comment

Hey, if Creation want to fly me out to Vancouver and put me up for the weekend, I'd be there...

Out Now:
              Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
              Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
              "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
              ---------------------------------------------------
              Twitter

Comment

What Jim said

I'm one of those lucky devils who live a hop, a skip, and two ferries up the coast from Vancouver (Note: the 'lucky' part only applies when there aren't any storms leaving me and my neck of the bush stuck without power for three days... )

The rest of the gang is kinda strewn all over the place, UK, US, Australia, so yes, travel and accommodation can get a bit pricey.

Comment

During the recent days I read the many interesting posts in this thread and I'm so glad that I finally found this corner of the web (should've come here much earlier but better late than never) and so I hope you bear with me answering old posts since for me all is very new and exciting.

I promise to give proper feedback to the books in the book-related threads where it belongs since I really like them but I do have to re-read them first.

But what about that insanely annoying Professor Kelly? To be honest, I don’t quite know anymore from which rock she crawled out under.
                  Just wanted to say that I loved Kelly! She was so much fun. I still have to snicker about the line with the fencing club

And I loved her even more for the scene when she woke Jack and pretended she had not heard anything. That really was touching. We not often get to see Jack through the eyes of someone that doesn't know much about him and has no idea what he has done in the past and therefore only has to rely onto his own observations and that's very interesting to read, I think. Since we all of course know every detail of the things that happened to him, so to see him through her eyes is quite a change and refreshing.

And of course there was the irresistible lure of finally making some use of those seven years of Latin I took at school
                  I liked that also very much. Being from the other side of Germany I had to learn Russian instead of Latin and I always thought that Latin is a fascinating language though everyone that actually had to learn it keeps telling me how much they hated it. I just think it sounds very nice, and so I liked the occasional word now and then in the book.

And sorry, now I'm going OT but since I now also had this song stuck in my head for the past days I at least wanted to help out with the last line of

Suse, liebe Suse, was raschelt im Stroh?
                  Das sind die lieben Gaenslein, die haben keine Schuh.
                  Der Schuster hat Leder, kein Leisten dazu,
                  Drum
                  ... [and that's where memory fails me, something about geese being stuck without Doc Martin's forever after.]
                  So the missing line would be ...Drum kann er den Gaenslein auch machen kein' Schuh. - Therefore he isn't able to make any shoes for the geese.

There even is a second verse as well, and this song also is part of an opera for children - "Haensel & Gretel" by Engelbert Humperdinck.

And since nobody than me is interested in that stuff anyway I'll shut up now.

@ all the authors: Thank you for writing these books and for writing on and here's hope that we will get to read a lot more by you.

Astra
                  Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

<snort> I suspect Suse is right that Creation would've jumped on that idea if they'd thought it could succeed ... but I also suspect that it would've gone over like the proverbial lead balloon. Definitely didn't charge for autographs or photos. Sabine, will you be selling books yourself? I ask because Creation marked them up (to $10!) in Chicago, so next year I'll be handling that part myself, thank you.

In any case, like James, I'd be thrilled to attend the Vancouver con if it wasn't a long, expensive flight away. Sabine knows I take any and all excuses to travel in Canada because I'm addicted to maple sugar products. Heck, I bought maple stuff in Toronto last month, and they're not exactly tapping trees in downtown Toronto.

Suse, when's Shore Leave? Ohio's not exactly neighbors with Maryland, but at least it's within the fuel range of our plane.

One more thing: Sabine, do I even want to know what flight necessitated a layover in Hong Kong?
                    Beth
                    http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                    http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen
                      Sabine, do I even want to know what flight necessitated a layover in Hong Kong?
                      ::thinks about how much fun could be had by letting Beth guess routes::

I suppose you wouldn't believe me if I told you the puddle jumper to Vancouver lost radar, radio compass, and ILS due to earth ray activity off Gibson's Landing?

Nah, didn't think so... Did you ever talk to someone about that sad lack of trust in people?

Oh well, if you insist on a reasonable explanation... I was flying to Thailand. The entire clan met up out there for my dad's 70th birthday

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
                      So the missing line would be ...Drum kann er den Gaenslein auch machen kein' Schuh. - Therefore he isn't able to make any shoes for the geese.

There even is a second verse as well, and this song also is part of an opera for children - "Haensel & Gretel" by Engelbert Humperdinck.
                      Thank you, Astra! It was driving me nuts!! Seriously. I hate when that happens. Never even thought of the Haensel und Gretel connection, but you're right, of course.

Glad you enjoyed Kelly I agree with you on the 'morning after scene', and I wish I could say I planned it that way--would make me look ever so intelligent Truth is, it was a gut response more than anything else. Probably a hangover from my directing days: what would this person do in this situation...

Oh, and I actually loved Latin--eventually (it took some getting used to). But I still envy you the Russian (though not the reasons why you had to learn it). What a beautiful language!

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
                        Hey, if Creation want to fly me out to Vancouver and put me up for the weekend, I'd be there...
                        Ditto <g>

Then I can check out Sabine's shower....

Every con has different rules for signatures and photos, so it's always best to check with the organisers. Some cons have a one-off entry fee and any of us in dealers rooms (as with the BOBW con with Joe Flanigan next month) or in big bookshop booths (like Borders at Supanova Brisbane in April this year) will sign novels that people bring in, or purchase on the spot.

Photos vary. BOBW does not allow cameras inside because the actors are notoriously...uhm...liberal with their antics in Aus. All good fun, but a couple of people at past cons took less than flattering shots and posted them on their web sites. To allow actors the freedom to have some fun on stage and interact with guests in a way that is unique to Australia, cameras are banned and the audience has a rollicking good time. All photos are then taken by an official photographer, and naturally, the cost. As a pro photographer myself, I have to say it's so much nicer to leave the camera at home and know someone else is going to get the best shots, while I can enjoy myself in the role of guest author.

Re cost of books. In Aus, it costs an arm and a leg to fly the novels out here - there is no regular distributor - so by the time the bookshops add enough to cover the cost of the book taking up space on their shelves, it can be double the price in UK/US - pretty much the same as buying from Amazon and flying the thing across the Equator. I'll personally sign anything that anyone asks, as long as the body parts are not normally hidden by underwear.
                        Sonny
                        www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Glad you enjoyed Kelly I agree with you on the 'morning after scene', and I wish I could say I planned it that way--would make me look ever so intelligent Truth is, it was a gut response more than anything else.
                          Maybe that's exactly the reason why it does feel so real. And the reason why I liked it so much also may be that I would've reacted in exactly the same way. I'm not much into talking about stuff either, and I definitely would've felt uncomfortable seeing Jack like this. With this scene Kelly was no longer a cliché but became very human.

I somewhere read that you like just to start writing and see what happens. I totally can relate to that, I do it the same way. I don't know what will happen until I wrote it down and then read it afterwards

But I still envy you the Russian (though not the reasons why you had to learn it). What a beautiful language!
                          Yes, it is, and I also liked it very much. I actually found it not that difficult but after more than 15 years without practising unfortunately there is not much left than a few words and phrases

Originally posted by sonny1 View Post
                          I have to say it's so much nicer to leave the camera at home and know someone else is going to get the best shots, while I can enjoy myself in the role of guest author.
                          You're absolutely right. I never took any pictures myself before the con with RDA came along, and even then I put the camera down way before the allocated time was over. I decided it was much more worth to see him in real instead through a small lens.

Isn't it a little weird when you first have to go home before you're able to see what you actually had seen there?

German cons are also small and very nice, with the actors sitting at the next table during breakfast and nobody bothering them at all.

Now since this thread actually is about "Ask the Authors" I'm trying the whole time to come up with a very clever question but I'm like Jack - nothing comes to mind. Maybe we should change it to "Talk with the Authors"
                          Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
                            Suse, when's Shore Leave? Ohio's not exactly neighbors with Maryland, but at least it's within the fuel range of our plane.
                            Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but since I went to Shore Leave last year and loved that con - I have been making plans to go again this year. This year Shore Leave will be July 13-15, 2007 here is the con web site. It would be great if you could make that con.
                            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Sabine darling (Can I call you by your first name???)

I had a request from the Vancouver con thread for you to bring twice as many books as you plan to sell to the Vancouver Con. One of the Chicago attendees said the books sold out there quickly. So I am supposed to give you the heads up to be prepared.

Consider this your heads up.
                              sigpic

Comment

Sabine darling (Can I call you by your first name???)
                                ::snicker:: Of course not. I insist you call me "Dr. Bauer, sir."

I had a request from the Vancouver con thread for you to bring twice as many books as you plan to sell to the Vancouver Con. One of the Chicago attendees said the books sold out there quickly. So I am supposed to give you the heads up to be prepared.

Consider this your heads up.
                                Twice as many? You mean two?

Seriously though, it's always a bit of gamble, figuring out how many to take (last time I sold about half of my stock), and the one thing I'm hoping to avoid is having unsold books stacking up throughout the house. Having said that, it's helpful--not to mention encouraging --to know that the interest was this strong.

Beth, how many did you take to Chicago?

Comment

Working...
                                X