This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    No, the novels are not canon. There have been some instances where the novels have contradicted canon, typically because a novel was published, and then sometime later an episode or movie came out that gave different information (the whole thing with Ronon supposedly being "immune" to being fed upon by the Wraith is a big one).
    Yeah, I'd say SK's got it nailed. While writing, I basically considered the novels "secondary canon," in that we tried to stay consistent with other novels as well as the show. But another wrinkle is the fact that the manuscripts get vetted by someone at MGM corporate rather than someone on-scene at Bridge Studios (while the shows were in production, that is), so there's another level of telephone-game that may muddy the details further. In SK's example, Sonny and I interpreted the Wraith's interrupted feeding on Ronon in the "Runner" flashback to mean that he was distasteful somehow -- which apparently wasn't at all what the production team intended, and I doubt the MGM vetters were aware of that. (I'm still sorry we made that leap without concrete on-screen evidence, for what it's worth.)

Oh, and hi, folks. I'm not writing at the moment, but I still drop by here on occasion. :-)
    Last edited by Elizabeth Christensen; 03 January 2011, 05:22 PM. Reason: Because it's bad form for an author to miss a word that changes the meaning of the sentence.
    Beth
    http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
    http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

In case anybody's interested, there's an Ask the Authors of the next Legacy book, Melissa Scott and Amy Griswold, going on here: http://jo-graham.livejournal.com/122258.html
      sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Hey guys; just to let you know that I'll be along at Chevron 7.6 with producer Paul Spragg talking about Big Finish Productions and the plans for the third series of Stargate SG-1 audio dramas (coming soon!). I understand we'll be appearing on stage on Saturday for a Q&A; I'll also be around signing copies of my Stargate novels and audio dramas over the weekend.

If you're there, come and say hi!

Out Now:
        Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
        Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
        "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
        ---------------------------------------------------
        Twitter

Comment

Will you be bringing any previews of upcoming Stargate novels like you did last time?
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

James - I was the chap who brought what looked like your last copy of Nightfall and declined the signature. I hope you didn't take me as being rude. I already have personalized autographs from you and Peter on copies of Relativity and Angelus plus a presigned one of Nightfall. I just wanted one to read.

I hope you had a good time. I was going to come and offer you a drink on Saturday night but I get kinda nervous. I did the first time at 7.3. I managed to speak more this time around though!

Enjoyed the talks. Hope you got some good reactions.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
              James - I was the chap who brought what looked like your last copy of Nightfall and declined the signature. I hope you didn't take me as being rude. I already have personalized autographs from you and Peter on copies of Relativity and Angelus plus a presigned one of Nightfall. I just wanted one to read.
              I hope you had a good time. I was going to come and offer you a drink on Saturday night but I get kinda nervous. I did the first time at 7.3. I managed to speak more this time around though!
              Enjoyed the talks. Hope you got some good reactions.
              No worries, man! Thanks for buying the books, and I hope you enjoy them.

It was great to chat to everyone at Chevron 7.6 - I had some interesting discussions and I sold out of all my novels, so it was a fruitful weekend for me. And for future reference, don't be nervous, come over and say hi! I'm always happy to chat to Stargate fans, and buying me a drink is greatly appreciated!

Out Now:
              Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
              Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
              "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
              ---------------------------------------------------
              Twitter

Comment

I normally do enjoy them. I'll just finished Death Game so I'll be starting Nightfall shortly. It's the last SG novel I've got to read and I'll be all caught up.

To be fair, I enjoy talking to folk like you and Peter more than the actors. You guys know more about the shows so in a lot of ways, feels like you're talking to fellow fans. I never really get that feeling from the actors.

If you come to another, I'll make sure I get you a drink. What do you drink?
                sigpic

Comment

Does anyone here know what is happening re Transitions, Oceans of Dust and any future novels?

Comment

Originally posted by sg1nuts View Post
                    Does anyone here know what is happening re Transitions, Oceans of Dust and any future novels?
                    Seeing as nobody has responded to you, I just thought I'd let you know that Transitions has came out, available in hard copy and as an ebook. Having read it, I'd highly recommend it. The characterisations were done well (hard, considering the author is working with both SG-1 and Atlantis) and the story is gripping from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymach View Post
                      Seeing as nobody has responded to you, I just thought I'd let you know that Transitions has came out, available in hard copy and as an ebook. Having read it, I'd highly recommend it. The characterisations were done well (hard, considering the author is working with both SG-1 and Atlantis) and the story is gripping from the start.
                      Oceans of Dust is through MGM and is supposed to be the next SG-1 book released after Transitions. After that the next SG-1 book is Heart's Desire, which isn't through MGM yet.
                      sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                        Oceans of Dust is through MGM and is supposed to be the next SG-1 book released after Transitions. After that the next SG-1 book is Heart's Desire, which isn't through MGM yet.
                        Sweet. Thanks for the update.
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                          Sweet. Thanks for the update.
                          You're welcome! Long time no see!
                          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

You're welcome! Long time no see!
                            Yeah. Writing, writing, writing...<grin>

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                              Yeah. Writing, writing, writing...<grin>
                              Pretty much, yeah! OT completely, did you happen to see Amanda on Sanctuary Friday night?
                              sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Pretty much, yeah! OT completely, did you happen to see Amanda on Sanctuary Friday night?
                                YES! Awesome. You're doing the writing, writing, writing, too, I see.

Comment

Working...
                                X