This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captain_kirk999
    Ok, there's still a hell of a lot of dangerous nuclear radiation in Hiroshima and that went off 65+ years ago so in "the Siege part III" where they dropped a nuke a few miles over Atlantis, it would be extremely dangerous to wander out on those balconies and even the Athosians on the mainland would start to die slowly after being exposed to a blast that close. An explanation to why they're all alive?
    I must question the validity of the statement "there's still a hell of a lot of dangerous nuclear radiation in Hiroshima and that went off 65+ years ago." I do not believe that that is true. I admit the limits of my knowledge force me to search the internet, but a quick google and a look at wikipedia do not support that statement.

No to your question about exposure. Apparently Atlantis shielded them from the blast radiation including energetic photons, alpha particles, beta particles, and neutrons. But that was not your question. You asked about the deposition of radioactive materials.

I imagine that it helps that Atlantis is floating on the ocean, and that the blast happened over the open ocean, this basicly means that unfissioned heavy atoms, the fission byproducts, and the neutron irriadiated nuclei would be deposited in the atmosphere and the ocean, and both mediums would spread and dilute them throughout the world, as we have seen through experience on earth, this essentially reduces their effect to nothing.

The only concern would be if these elements settled on Atlantis, or if the blast transmuted any of the elements of Atlantis. As Atlantis is designed as a substantial space-faring human-biology compatible city we might easily imagine that if such deposition did take place in any problematic degree, the city is designed to prevent it or correct it. Even if the city does not possess such systems, Atlantis is surround by an ocean, it should be simple to wash off any affected surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by RA the sun god
      ummm helloooooooo anybody home i said it is more explosive wit less fallout!!!
      which part didnt u understand???
      It might help if you knew how to use proper English grammar, spelling, and composition.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Please forgive my stupidity if I'm incorrect (I'm not a nuclear physicist I'm afraid), but isn't fallout caused by irradiated bits of matter disintegrated in the inital explosion?

If the bomb went off over the fully shielded city, with nothing around but water and air, what would there actually be to create fallout of a large enough amount to be dangerous? You would just have to deal with the initial radiation surge, the heat, the explosion itself, and any irradiated water that might be brough into the city afterwards.
        "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Originally posted by tendomentis
          Please forgive my stupidity if I'm incorrect (I'm not a nuclear physicist I'm afraid), but isn't fallout caused by irradiated bits of matter disintegrated in the inital explosion?

If the bomb went off over the fully shielded city, with nothing around but water and air, what would there actually be to create fallout of a large enough amount to be dangerous? You would just have to deal with the initial radiation surge, the heat, the explosion itself, and any irradiated water that might be brough into the city afterwards.
          Several kilos of warhead and missile turned to ultra fine dust?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
            Several kilos of warhead and missile turned to ultra fine dust?
            Yeah, I said "large enough amount...". Obviously the vaporized warhead is going to constitue something, but that little spread over a city as large as Manhattan (where everybody is indoors and the whole city has it's own life support systems keeping everyone breathing anyway). What little of the missile's sad remains actually fall down on the city and don't land in the ocean or blow away in the atmosphere to be dispersed one part per million over the entirety of the planet wouldn't even end up in the expidition's lungs.

But obviously McKay is a fish hater because he didn't even think about all the poor little fishies he nuked with that little maneuver...
            "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Yeah and given the higher velocity upper atmosphere winds...

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Well I wouldn't be surprised if Atlantis has technology that could clean up all the radioactive fallout. The Daedalus could probably do that with Hermiod's help.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                  I just ran a search on all the scripts of season two. No mention of naquadah enhanced nukes (unless the scripsts are wrong). Do you remember where you heard it?
                  Seems logical to think they are. Cause naquadah enhanced nukes would create more damage than just regular nukes.
                  Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                  Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Atlantis is a spaceship, I think it would be able to shrug off a little radiation.

Comment

Originally posted by SpangledExpanse
                      Atlantis is a spaceship, I think it would be able to shrug off a little radiation.
                      People aren't spaceships, and aren't that good at shrugging off radiation.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                        People aren't spaceships, and aren't that good at shrugging off radiation.
                        People can be spaceships, just not very alive ones

Comment

Originally posted by Slayers
                          Hiroshima is radioactive because of the radioactive fallout that has contaminated the soil, atlantis however is floating on water. Any radioactive fallout would`ve been dissapated and carried away by wind & seacurrents. The city itself was protected by it`s shield from contamination.
                          ^ This seems to be the most logical answer.

Comment

dident they get the nuke from the genii? mabey they altered it or something

Help!
                            My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
                              dident they get the nuke from the genii? mabey they altered it or something
                              No, I believe it was one of Deadulus's nukes. The Genii nukes were from the previous episode.

Comment

the nukes they use it isnt so much about the nuke part but the naquadah, and the winds would have carried it all away fairly quickly there is not absorbtion into soil
                                My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Working...
                                X