X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They will look like Tribbles!

Comment

Quite frankly, I have never understood the attitude of wanting your favorite shows to end just because there has been a drop in quality.

Take Buffy season 7 for instance. Sure, it wasn't very good... but I would much rather have been watching that once a week than whatever other junk was on. Further, the drop in quality for season 7 IN NO WAY made any other season LESS good. Do people really say "well, that ep in season 7 wasn't very good, so I now think that one ep in season 3 isn't good, too." No.

Lets say, for arguments sake, that season 9 of SG1 really isn't that great when it airs. What will happen? We will all watch it... and many people on here will whine about quality being down or RDA not being around, etc etc etc. BUT, those same people whining will, deep down, be happier watching Stargate than whatever else would have been on if SG1 had been cancelled. If that weren't true, they wouldn't watch or post.

Bring on Season 9. Will it be great? I hope so! If it isn't "great", though, it will still be better than 90% of whats out there, and that makes me happy because I will have a decent show to watch every week... RDA or no RDA. In the end, TV is ENTERTAINMENT, and if a show still entertains me, and still is worth it money and time wise for the actors and production crew, it should still be on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gategirl
        What a way to start the day!! GREAT NEWS!!!

Being a die-hard Daniel fan, I find myself enjoying the recent S6 marathons on Mondays. I've learned to appreciate Jonas as to where before I resented him. So now for S9...RDA will be sorely missed!!! That wit, that humor!! But I have confidence...the writers will fix it somehow! I'm just glad I can continue my imaginary trip through the universe!

I have to agree with you there. Having found the show between seasons five & six (via Stargate Mondays on SciFi), I didn't like Jonas immediately. But lately I've found myself "yelling" at him (*blushes* Yes, I do talk at the characters. But they don't listen) as much as I yell at the rest of them.

So I think SG-1 could survive with reduced RDA. Maybe develop a few of the occasional characters enough so they could come and go--much like Janet Frazier.
        I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          Not sure how well this will go over...

SG-1

I hope RDA doesn't come back as a series regular in season nine. He's a fine actor and a fine character but his heart hasn't been in the part for three years now and it has harmed the series and handicapped the writers. IMO he has been sleep walking through episodes, making Jack appear to be silly and indecisive instead of the strong and complex character he has been early in the series.

I don't think the writing is inherently shakey beyond that they have had to reach so badly in some cases this season to justify including or excluding Jack in episodes and it has harmed the credibility of the series. I realize that many of passionate fans feel that RDA is SG1, and I can respect those feelings, however I believe he is overrated as a "draw" for mainstream television audiences (and no, forum posters are NOT mainstream and we do not represent the fanbase).

I believe that those kinds of crediblity and a committment issues set aside with the absence of RDA will allow the series to return to credibility in my mind. I believe Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge, and Michael Shanks can carry the series forward, and I certainly think new characters will be added in. The most rabid of Daniel fans and the most rabid of Sam fans seem to think that one or the other is somehow a magically superior character who could carry the show alone, but it's important to remember that these are fans reactions and not those of the actors. I have gotten very warry of seeing fans attack each other and the actors when I know full well that the actors themselves would be horrified at the behavior and implications. As I said, many people will disagree, but that is the way I feel.

Atlantis

Oddly, my only ambivolent feelings about Atlantis have to do with casting as well. The show, IMO, has too many regulars to focus on effectively. While I love Beckett, the implication that they are moving him to the main cast worries me, especially as I have yet to see any indication (the Defiant One not withstanding) that there will be significant Ford character developement this season.

The writers need to decide if they will continue on this track, or not, and if they do, they need to ask themselves if he is really a main character.

All opinions expressed above are my own, and my own feelings alone.

In my corner of the world Atlantis is not shown and so I have no opinion about it, but I´m happy that SG 1 will be back for season 9...cautious happy.

I will miss Jack very much but if he is really in 4 episodes I´m still content with it, and I hope that this could maybe give RDA some of his old enthusiasm back and we will have a Jack who is not "sleep walking". But I have the feeling that this will have very much to do with the quality of the scripts.

And here is the reason why I´m only cautious happy: For me (and please don´t forget that this is only MY opinion) since season 6 (as Stargate has gone from Showtime to the Sci Fi Channel) the quality of the show is suffering much. Season 6 had some boring episodes but still some great ones (like my favourite "Abyss" or "Full Circle" or "Paradise Lost" and some other which I liked very much) but after that they are gone more and more away from that was made the show interesting for me: adventures on other worlds and the battle against the Goa´uld and turned Stargate into a show about conspirancies and domestic life. Was is NOT what I want from a science fiction show! And because of that I´m still happy but have a not so good feeling about season 9...

Comment

Love your animated pig...woo hoo!!!!! S9+

When everyone is complaining about the garbage on general tv....we can point and smile and say there are two great shows that answer the call...

RDA in any form is better than none even though I want him...er...,it all....maybe a break in S9 will bore him to committing to S9+. I would watch that man read the phone book.

And anyway, I need my fix of Stargate each week.
            Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

How much you wanna bet the same people whining and moaning about how bad Season 8 is and how the show should end will be right back here whining and moaning about how bad Season 9 is and how the show should end this time next year ?

Comment

In my opinion, Season 8 has been pretty much a let down. I'll give it New Order 1 & 2, Zero Hour and Sacrifices. Everything else was not up to par in my opinion. As for Season 9, it has alot to prove to me as a fan.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I can't decide whether the people who think the show sucks and come here so often to say so are true fans of the show or not. I guess a case can be made either way. Me? If I thought a show sucked, I would go find one I liked. But that's just me I guess. Maybe I'm the one who isn't a true fan...

Comment

Brillient about SGA S2, Excellent!

But SG1 S9, I'm very nervous about.

Don't get me wrong, I love SG1 and would be sorry to see it go. But I am very worried that it might turn sour. In my opinion, (I'm sorry if this upsets people) but I think that after this (next season I shouldsay now) season maybe they should just have a break for a while. Don't bury the gate, just turn it off for the day.

I would be sad to see it go, but I think that there is going to be way too many changes this next season. I hope that they are going to tie-up anyloose ends. I don't think it is possible to tie them all up but you never know.

I just pray and hope things don't go the way it did like other shows that went on too long. I think that STTNG, did it right, stopped for a while then came back.

I just hope that things turn out right.

Peace
                    Janna Galaxy

PS I hope that TPTB, will put the team sprit back. I miss that!
                    Last edited by jannagalaxy; 17 November 2004, 09:48 AM.
                    Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                    The Strongest Will Survive!
                    I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Just as I was winding down and expecting this to be last season of SG-1, I was really pleased when I just found out that SG-1 was being picked up for a ninth season.

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
                        I can't decide whether the people who think the show sucks and come here so often to say so are true fans of the show or not. I guess a case can be made either way. Me? If I thought a show sucked, I would go find one I liked. But that's just me I guess. Maybe I'm the one who isn't a true fan...
                        Maybe because they have still a little bit hope that the show will be better as it seems now?
                        To be honest I´m NOT really unhappy with season 8: The conspirancy and domestic life stuff is absolutly boring, I miss the off-world episodes and I don´t like Daniels changed personality very much ( I hope that we will see in the future a little bit more of Daniels "old" personality) but to the same time I think that the writers have proved with "NEW ORDER", "ZERO HOUR" and "ENDGAME" that they can still write good episodes! (And I liked Jack this season much more as in season 7 ).
                        Something that I had no longer thought to be possible after the second half of season 7! So I see the first half of season 8 as a little improvement to season 7 (second half) , and if the we will have the same quality in the second half I would not only like to see season 9 but even season 10 or 11!!!

But here is my problem: All spoilers and infos I have for the new episodes next year tell me that we will have only one thing in the new season 8 episodes:
                        "As the Stargate turns"! For the fans who like it this are great news but for the ones who don´t care about it, who watch the show for the science fiction that are very bad news...
                        And the worsest thing is that the writers seems this year not even to try to give all fans a little bit what they can like (as they had tried it with "LOST CITY" last season) in the finale - but seems to have decided to make this time only the fans happy who can not get enough of the soap opera stuff.
                        All I can they is that I still hope that season 8 part 2 will have something for everybody but I can´t no longer really beliefe it.
                        But about one thing I´m sure: If season 8 will repeat the pattern of season 7 and we will get much more stuff like "Grace" and "Evolution part 2" I WILL stop watching. And this time when my favourite actor Richard Dean Anderson is no longer a part of the show it will be very easy for me...

But as always this are only MY opinions. I don´t want to hurt anybody with this post but I found it unfair to be told to stop watching and want made sure that it´s clear why I´m critical about season 9.
                        Last edited by Hathor999; 17 November 2004, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jannagalaxy
                          Brillient about SGA S2, Excellent!

But SG1 S9, I'm very nervous about.

Don't get me wrong, I love SG1 and would be sorry to see it go. But I am very worried that it might turn sour. In my opinion, (I'm sorry if this upsets people) but I think that after this (next season I shouldsay now) season maybe they should just have a break for a while. Don't bury the gate, just turn it off for the day.

I would be sad to see it go, but I think that there is going to be way too many changes this next season. I hope that they are going to tie-up anyloose ends. I don't think it is possible to tie them all up but you never know.

I just pray and hope things don't go the way it did like other shows that went on too long. I think that STTNG, did it right, stopped for a while then came back.

I just hope that things turn out right.

Peace
                          Janna Galaxy

PS I hope that TPTB, will put the team sprit back. I miss that!

I think I would like some TV movies in the next couple of years more than a season 9. The writers would have more time to write their scripts, we could have better special effects and we could have maybe all actors back.

About the team spirit: I have given up to hope for very much of the old team feeling so I´m content with the little bit we have now...my problem is that I have the really bad feeling that we will loose even this in the second part of season 8...

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor999
                            I think I would like some TV movies in the next couple of years more than a season 9. The writers would have more time to write their scripts, we could have better special effects and we could have maybe all actors back.
                            You took the word right out of my mouth!
                            Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                            The Strongest Will Survive!
                            I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor999
                              But as always this are only MY opinions. I don´t want to hurt anybody with this post but I found it unfair to be told to stop watching and want made sure that it´s clear why I´m critical about season 9.
                              How does telling you what I would do have any bearing on what you should do?? I wasn't telling anyone to stop watching Stargate. Its probably good that people who seem to hate the show still watch it so the ratings stay high. I just don't understand it is all.

One recent post said TPTB have made 3 good episodes in the past 3 years. I guess this individual must be a "true fan" because even after three solid years of apparently hating the show he continues to watch (and trash it on the forums). It's this kind of behavior I don't understand. All I was saying was that if it were me, I would simply stop watching and find something else that I like. What anybody else does is their own business - not mine.

Hopefully I am making myself clear...

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
                                This may help, remember that fan is a colloquialism that refers to fanatic. So a "true fan" really means a fanatic. When you look at it that way its pretty easy to separate fans in the common/slang usage from "true fans".

And on that note, this SG-1 fanatic is doing his best snoopy dance for SG-1 season 9!

Oh and yay for SGA season 2 as well, hopefully they will get around to exploring the actual freakin City. People complain about no Gate in eps of SG-1 but it'd be nice to actually explore Atlantis on a show called Atlantis. SG-1 fans and fanatics waited a couple of years to get the secrets of the Lost City and then not only was that great event stolen for another show but now we have seen barely any of the City on said show. We are half way through season 1 and in almost all ways Atlantis is still a Lost City.

And now lets hear it for SG-1 seasons 9, 10, 11 and 12 and SGA seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7...?

Comment

Working...
                                X