No announcement yet.

General Blue's Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The capstone thesis in air and space power, Sir?" Rowena looked dubious. The answer was too easy. "Or are you talking about the bit where I had to get a General to accept me, Sir? Seeing as your whole speech seems to be about how unfit I am for this job."

Rowena stood up angrily, trying to choke back the tears as she began to shout. "All I've ever tried to do is follow the rules, like I've been told. That's my job, that's what I'm supposed to do? How does that make me inadequate? Following the regulations might just stop me or someone on my team getting killed. It would have stopped Mar-"

Rowena paused, looking horrified with herself.

((that's fine, I have to get some sleep too))
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen Blue
      Cal, who was still staring a the closed door, shook her head and turned to Larry. "No, we were pretty quiet, almost boring before Earth . . . " she trailed off. "Things were crazy for a while, then we found our new routine. Just in time to get thwacked by Roman Goa'uld."
      She checked the coffee pot and held out an empty cup to him, "I never thought of yet another layer of Snake-heads just waiting for a chance. System Lords, that was the threat. I don't know that anyone expected another bunch to be so organized so fast."
      Larry gratefully accepted the cup, and poured himself a cup of coffee, adding 2 creams and 3 sugars, as was customary for regular brews for him. "I sure as heck didn't, but then again, I guess the old saying 'nature abhors a vaccuum' applies to the Goa'uld power structure as well. I know exactly what you mean about getting settled into a new routine. Just when you think things are going to level off, it hits the fan all over again. 'Just like in the SEALs back in the day' I guess it just drives home that we've all got to stick together and have each other's back more than ever."

Taking a long swig of the coffee, he savored it. This was VERY good, even better than the stuff he'd been hooked up with in the mess hall. But then again, it WAS the general's office. "Great coffee, Sergeant! But then with all the paperwork you and the general need to sift through, I guess it's a necessity." He smiled again. "I've always been terrible with that stuff, I don't know how you manage to do it. I'd be better off putting it all in a filing cabinet along with enough C4 to launch it into orbit than filling it out. I guess it was a blessing in disguise in that regard that I got... well I guess you already have an idea about that since my file has been through here already." He shrugged, a bit embarrassed about it, but comforted by his belief that he'd done the right thing back then, and it was bolstered by the clean slate given to him by his new teammates. Taking another sip of the coffee, he awaited her reply.

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

Cal flopped down in her chair and took a big gulp of her coffee. "Somebody described it as the 'Stifling boredom puctuated by intervals of sheer terror' effect. The boredom is as bad as the terror."

She dropped her head backward and sighed as the caffeine hit. "Ahhhhh, the only real perk I take in this job. Really good coffee. General Blue drinks Chai tea. *shudder* Smells nice, not nearly enough kick for me."

The woman reached out and slapped a stack of papers. "This is only a fraction of what was here. We stopped doing anything that would have gone . . . back."

She paused, thinking What a shi**y way to cut paperwork.

Shaking off the gloom, Cal sat up and swung around to face Larry. "Yeah, I've seen it. I would have done the same thing in that case."
        She laughed ruefully, "Somebody else's cool head kept me out of the brig. A Corporal decking a Colonel is not good."
        Last edited by Gen Blue; 24 March 2006, 01:25 PM.
        Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
        sigpic

Comment

"Sorry, Sir," apologised Rowena meekly. "Maybe I should just pack my bags and leave."

((Blue!! Tracy's here and ready to post!!!! Yeah, you're right. Might be wise to wait til morning. Oi! GL12... stop giggling))
          Last edited by Tracy Jane; 23 March 2006, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Cal flopped down in her chair and took a big gulp of her coffee. "Somebody described it as the 'Stifling boredom puctuated by intervals of sheer terror' effect. The boredom is as bad as the terror."

She dropped her head backward and sighed as the caffeine hit. "Ahhhhh, the only real perk I take in this job. Really good coffee. General Blue drinks Chai tea. *shudder* Smells nice, not nearly enough kick for me."

The woman reached out and slapped a stack of papers. "This is only a fraction of what was here. We stopped doing anything that would have gone . . . back."

She paused, thinking What a shi**y way to cut paperwork.

Shaking off the gloom, Cal sat up and swung around to face Larry. "Yeah, I've seen it. I would have done the same thing in that case."
            She laughed ruefully, "Somebody else's cool head kept me out of the brig. A Corporal decking a Colonel is not good."
            "Boredom as bad as terror... I honestly hadn't heard that one before, but it makes perfect sense." He finished his cup of coffee, refilled his, and topped Cal's off as well. "Funny how you mention about Chai smelling nice. I had a friend who swore by it once, but, as you said, it's far too weak. Kind of like a the person who prefers dark beers, and if you can see through the beer it's water, I'm the same way with my caffeine."

After her comment about possibly decking a Colonel, his curiosity was piqued. He smiled, looking Cal in the eyes, trying to get a read on her. "Oh really? Should I ask, since you already know my story, or would that be on a need to know basis and I don't need to know?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
              "Sorry, Sir," apologised Rowena meekly. "Maybe I should just pack my bags and leave."

((Blue!! Tracy's here and ready to post!!!! Yeah, you're right. Might be wise to wait til morning. Oi! GL12... stop giggling))
              NIck banged his head gently against the wall. Why the h3ll didn't Lancaster put her in therapy with someone else if she couldn't do it? Time to be rude and crude and spell it out to her in words of one syllable. He walked over and took the girl by the arms.
              "You're not inadaquate, Clayton," he said gently, "you could be a good officer, maybe even a great officer." Giving her a little shake, he let go, "If you'd only get your head out of your @$$. Your father didn't die because he disobeyed an order. He died because because his commander was an idiot."
              sigpic

Comment

"Mark was my brother, Sir," Rowena said, her voice almost a whisper. "It was that that drove my parents apart." She sighed. "He was a good officer, but he got killed because another officer obeyed a stupid, stupid order." She looked away, fighting back the tears. "Mom doesn't talk about it. I don't think she can. All this therapy she gives... she can't even help herself."

She looked back at the general. "Permission to be dismissed, Sir."

Comment

(( OOC - Blue is supposed to know who Mark is. I had to take a guess. I couldn't find anything about this posted. Or did you add info to your bio? Oh, well. I'll have him do something to correct himself. I can't right now. *looks around* I'm not supposed to be here. Shhhhhh. ))
                  sigpic

Comment

((No, it was just subtle hints, sorry. Just things like the photo being "the four of them", not three, plus the fact that Rowena wouldn't refer to her Dad by his first name. Sorry, kinda subtle hints. I also didn't expect Blue to know, because even Hermione doesn't talk about it))

Comment

Originally posted by TheXym
                      "Boredom as bad as terror... I honestly hadn't heard that one before, but it makes perfect sense." He finished his cup of coffee, refilled his, and topped Cal's off as well. "Funny how you mention about Chai smelling nice. I had a friend who swore by it once, but, as you said, it's far too weak. Kind of like a the person who prefers dark beers, and if you can see through the beer it's water, I'm the same way with my caffeine."

After her comment about possibly decking a Colonel, his curiosity was piqued. He smiled, looking Cal in the eyes, trying to get a read on her. "Oh really? Should I ask, since you already know my story, or would that be on a need to know basis and I don't need to know?"
                      I like this guy. Callista glanced shiftily side to side and leaned closer to Larry. "Between you and me, if he drank this coffee, I'd be peeling him from the ceiling. He's hyper enough on Chai," she murmured.

God, it's nice to just chat with someone. Relaxing into her chair, Cal explained, "My Security Forces company was stationed at a temporary base in Easter Europe. We were on the outskirts of this town. It was right after 9-11. We were doing heel and toe watches, four hours on, four hours off, constant perimeter patrols. Our CO was a ‘spit and polish’ Stateside Colonel. I got gigged for ‘Untidy – in uniform and equipment’ more in the six months he commanded than in the 10 years before that. That’s the background. One day we had a car bomber who’s timer went off early. Right in the town’s only shopping area.”
                      She paused and shuddered, “It collapsed the building that the stores were in. Our Major sent half the company to help. Colonel ‘Sh**-for-brains’ wasn’t going to send anyone at first.”
                      Cal rubbed her eyes and drank more of her coffee. “We spent most of that day and all night digging. It was only a 3-story building but, that’s a lot of rubble to move. I’m glad the toy store on the second floor was closed that day.” She had to clear her throat before continuing, “We got back to camp mid-morning, the guys headed for their barracks and I headed for the women’s barracks across the compound. Right past the Headquarter’s building. You can guess where this is going.”
                      sigpic

Comment

I like this guy. Callista glanced shiftily side to side and leaned closer to Larry. "Between you and me, if he drank this coffee, I'd be peeling him from the ceiling. He's hyper enough on Chai," she murmured.

God, it's nice to just chat with someone. Relaxing into her chair, Cal explained, "My Security Forces company was stationed at a temporary base in Easter Europe. We were on the outskirts of this town. It was right after 9-11. We were doing heel and toe watches, four hours on, four hours off, constant perimeter patrols. Our CO was a ‘spit and polish’ Stateside Colonel. I got gigged for ‘Untidy – in uniform and equipment’ more in the six months he commanded than in the 10 years before that. That’s the background. One day we had a car bomber who’s timer went off early. Right in the town’s only shopping area.”
                        She paused and shuddered, “It collapsed the building that the stores were in. Our Major sent half the company to help. Colonel ‘Sh**-for-brains’ wasn’t going to send anyone at first.”
                        Cal rubbed her eyes and drank more of her coffee. “We spent most of that day and all night digging. It was only a 3-story building but, that’s a lot of rubble to move. I’m glad the toy store on the second floor was closed that day.” She had to clear her throat before continuing, “We got back to camp mid-morning, the guys headed for their barracks and I headed for the women’s barracks across the compound. Right past the Headquarter’s building. You can guess where this is going.”
                        Larry almost snarfed his coffee at Cal's hyper comment about the General. 'She's down to earth an honest, seems to be a straight shooter as well... very cool'

"So you had a desk jockey Colonel who was obviously out of his element in a crisis situation. Damn pencil pushers, thank God you had a good X.O. I'd have wanted to deck him as well, but I'd have more likely done something more creative... a little noisemaker, if you get my drift" He grinned as the thoughts of some of his past.. "pranks" entered his mind.

"I understand exactly how you must have felt. So... how did you end up here at the Alpha Site?"

Comment

Originally posted by TheXym
                          Larry almost snarfed his coffee at Cal's hyper comment about the General. 'She's down to earth an honest, seems to be a straight shooter as well... very cool'

"So you had a desk jockey Colonel who was obviously out of his element in a crisis situation. Damn pencil pushers, thank God you had a good X.O. I'd have wanted to deck him as well, but I'd have more likely done something more creative... a little noisemaker, if you get my drift" He grinned as the thoughts of some of his past.. "pranks" entered his mind.

"I understand exactly how you must have felt. So... how did you end up here at the Alpha Site?"
                          Cal laughed aloud, "He wasn't with his XO, he was with our new CO."
                          She nodded toward the inner office. "He saw me lose it when Col SfB made a remark about Greeks and goats. H3ll, I did smell like a goat. No doubt," she pinched her nose and made a face, "Colonel Blue stepped between us and caught the punch. He sent me to my barracks and never mentioned it again. I asked to be assigned as part of his personal security detail. When his Aide was promoted and transferred out, I stepped in on a 'temporary' basis."
                          Cal tossed her hands in the air and grinned, "So here I am."
                          sigpic

Comment

((No, it was just subtle hints, sorry. Just things like the photo being "the four of them", not three, plus the fact that Rowena wouldn't refer to her Dad by his first name. Sorry, kinda subtle hints. I also didn't expect Blue to know, because even Hermione doesn't talk about it))
                            (( He should have. It's in your file. He's read it recently, along will all of SG-7's. Oh well, I'll cover for it. ))
                            sigpic

Comment

"Mark was my brother, Sir," Rowena said, her voice almost a whisper. "It was that that drove my parents apart." She sighed. "He was a good officer, but he got killed because another officer obeyed a stupid, stupid order." She looked away, fighting back the tears. "Mom doesn't talk about it. I don't think she can. All this therapy she gives... she can't even help herself."

She looked back at the general. "Permission to be dismissed, Sir."
                              Brother? D@mn, how'd I get that wrong? "Clayton, are you listening to yourself? Your brother was killed because someone else was a 'Regulation Charley' and followed a stupid order. You're following the same d@mn path." He turned away and stared through the Star map window toward the StarGate. "Dismissed. Pack your gear and be back here in 20 minutes."
                              Last edited by Gen Blue; 24 March 2006, 02:36 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Cal laughed aloud, "He wasn't with his XO, he was with our new CO."
                                She nodded toward the inner office. "He saw me lose it when Col SfB made a remark about Greeks and goats. H3ll, I did smell like a goat. No doubt," she pinched her nose and made a face, "Colonel Blue stepped between us and caught the punch. He sent me to my barracks and never mentioned it again. I asked to be assigned as part of his personal security detail. When his Aide was promoted and transferred out, I stepped in on a 'temporary' basis."
                                Cal tossed her hands in the air and grinned, "So here I am."
                                ((I thought your major who sent you out to do what needed to be done was your XO, I guess I misread ))

"So you've been with General Blue for a while.... that's a good thing. Having an aide who knows his idiosyncrasies probably helps quite a bit with keeping things running smoothly. By the way, you were totally justified in wanting to deck him. Heck, I'd have had your back if I was there. The fact that General Blue took that punch says a heck of a lot about him... he definitely seems like someone I can respect. Maybe you can give me a read on this.... since you've read my file, you already know I like to 'tinker' with things. I want to mod a zat to mount on a p90 like an over/under grenade launcher on the m16 with a barrel extension to suppress the sound of the p90 firing. Think he'd go for it?"

Comment

Working...
                                X