No announcement yet.

Quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julia watched the doors close, “Sure you do, Lieutenant. Sure you do…” shook her head and then walked down the hall to her quarters. Confidence was usually a good thing but sometimes that man seemed to have a little too much of it. The incident in the mess hall had let that mask slid a little though…

Once inside she downed two Ibuprofen for her growing headache, set the alarm, stripped down to a t-shirt and then went to bed.
    The pillow was soft and cool and soon she drifted off to if not a real sleep, then at least a slumber.

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Comment

>> From the infirmary >>

Carrie slid her card through the reader and pushed the door open. The air was a bit stale and she decided to leave the door open as she was only about to start packing.
      She walked over to her laptop, booted it up clicked her way to the MP3-files. With a small grin of recognition, she clicked on one them. This was definitely an old one, one who brought back memories of home…

Setting the volume fairly low, she felt confident that the music wouldn’t disturb her ‘neighbors’.
      Grabbing her old, well-worn back pack, Carrie started to put in a few change of clothes, her MP3-player and her toilet bag as she hummed and sang along a little here and there in the song.
      It wasn’t very much, and after all, they were only to spend a day or two there, so no need to carry too much in her own pack.

She shot a look at the gray dress and its indigo blue that someone from stores had hung on the hanger by the door. All adjusted to fit her.
      With a small sigh she focused back on her packing, the dress would have to wait… Getting some room in the back pack for her lap top, now containing the medical and chemical files needed were more important than a dress, right?

Comment

[Mykonos' quarters - level 6] {Callista Mykonos}

Callista snapped awake and checked the clock. 25 minutes. Close enough to 30 for a power nap. She rolled out of bed and had to turn on a light before moving around. Her new quarters were still unfamiliar enough to cause problems in the dark and kicking a piece of furniture in bare feet was not the way to start a mission.
        Grabbing up her shower kit, Cal slipped on a pair of sandals and, swathed in a cotton caftan, headed off to the shower room.

Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
        sigpic

Comment

<<hallways on level 7, near Ryn's & Carrie's quarters>>

As she was going back to her room from a sanitary stop, there was some music coming from somewhere. Ryn decided to go investigate. It was quite soft, but she heard it anyway. The hallway was otherwise silent, so no other noises were blocking it. Turning the corner the music became a little louder. Pop music. And there was a door open... Ah.

"Oh. Hey, doc." A sheepish grin followed upon her recognition of the room's single occupant. "Heard somethin' on my way back from the bathroom, thought I'd check it out. Didn't know it was you, sorry.". Ryn was still in her sleep clothes (old and tattered t-shirt & gym bottoms), though didn't really look sleepy, except for the hair which was spikier than ever. She sported a fresh-out-of-bed-look, so to speak.

Comment

Carrie looked up from the pajamas she’d been folding on the bed, smiling when she saw who it was, “No problem sleepy-head. If the door’s open, then anyone's free to stop by. You slept well?”

Comment

<< Carrie's quarters >>

Oh good. She'd not ticked the doc off, that was always a plus... A joke was a good sign.
              Ryn leant casually against the door. "Yeah. Just a power nap, really. Figured it'd do me good. With the time difference on that planet and all... Anyway. Do you know how much time we still got ?" She covered a yawn and rubbed her eyes, shaking her head to clear it. "Mweh. Darn cobwebs."

Comment

[Mykonos' old quarters - level 7] {Callista Mykonos}

Spoiler:
                Callista snapped awake and checked the clock. 25 minutes. Close enough to 30 for a power nap. She rolled out of bed and had to turn on a light before moving around. Her new quarters were still unfamiliar enough to cause problems in the dark and kicking a piece of furniture in bare feet was not the way to start a mission.
                Grabbing up her shower kit, Cal slipped on a pair of sandals and, swathed in a blue and green striped cotton caftan, headed off to the shower room.

(( to lazy to actually do a post in the locker room. ))

Idly toweling her hair dry, Cal came out of the elevator and headed for her quarters. Hearing voices in the hall, she strolled around the corner. "Oh, hi ladies. Almost ready to go?"
                She wrapped the damp towel around her neck and ran her fingers through her hair, doing the only "styling" she ever did to it. "We've got about an hour before the final briefing."

sigpic

Comment

Carrie was just about to answer when Cal appeared in the doorway, she pointed with her thumb towards her, “Whatever she said."
                  She slumped down on the bed and gave Cal a hunted look,Ready? Are you kidding me? No way... I have to finish packing, get a bite to eat, shower, change of clothes. Update my laptop towards the science department…That last thing is being done as we speak though, but still...”
                  She sighed “Any chance for the departure to be postponed?” and held up her thumb and index finger 5 millimeters apart, “Maybe just a little?”
                  Ok, so she didn’t look forward to the actual trip through the gate. The mere thought of having ones molecules disintegrated and then, hopefully, reassembled somewhere else again made her a bit queasy. It always had and probably always would...

Comment

<<At Carrie's quarters>>

Ryn looked at the new arrival, still somewhat sleepily. Maybe too many cobwebs to actually let it sink in who it was.

"Me, I just want a few more zzz's to be honest. Guess I won't get more later, anyway..."

A postponement sounded good, though. Oh, gosh yes, it did!

Comment

[Mykonos' old quarters - level 7] {Callista Mykonos}

Shaking her head in mock consternation, Cal sighed and smiled, "I'll give you lee-way on the briefing, an hour is probably more than we need. Be there at 1720 at the latest. We jump off at 1800 without delay."
                      Turning serious, she pointed to Carrie, "You have to be with us even if you're dragged along in your bathrobe. Gracious Lady Naimh doesn't often re-arrange her schedule on such short notice."

sigpic

Comment

<< At Carrie's quarters >>

"I can help ya packing, doc," The offer had left Ryn's mouth before she'd really thought it through. "I can pack all that," she gestured to all the plenty items on the bed, "in probably half your time." If she'd been a little more awake, maybe much shorter too. "And maybe half the space, too.". She'd often been responsible for packing up her team's camp. And that often had to be done in record time as well. Including the tents.

Comment

Carrie grinned up towards Cal, "Thanks, then I might just make it"

She placed her pajamas in the trunk at her feet, stifling a grin of the image of her being dragged through the gate room in said outfit, wearing a mud face mask and to top it off, some curler in her hair. 'Where the heck did the curlers come from? I've never owned any??'
                          "Don't worry Cal, I'll be there. In time..." Carrie resumed eye contact with the woman "I promise."

She let her eyes wander between her bed and the trunk, "Thanks, but no thanks Ryn. I don't doubt that you're effective. I just like to know where everything goes."

Comment

((After about twenty rewrites--okay, fine, more like five ()--I still haven't decided whether this is closer to a mess of a nightmare or utter brilliance. I think I've settled somewhere between the two. Maybe more towards the former.))

<<From Armory>>

In the corner of his room, Hughes played his music loud. He had his knees pulled up into his chest, where he had his arms loosely draped around his legs, his head bobbing up and down to the lyrics. He closed his eyes, and in the dark, he just listened.

There was some comfort to be found here, alone. It was one of the few times he felt truly at ease, almost as if all of his worries and problems and fears had been left at the door. God certainly didn't help with that. With anything.

He had started this ritual when he was much younger. When he’d escaped from his dad for a few precious moments, in secret, he’d do just this.

It had continued from there.

He’d just sit in the locker room before games, undisturbed and unconcerned. He didn’t pay attention to the pressure of expectation. Out there, on the field, it may have been different. His emotions sometimes got the better of him. In the hours and minutes leading up to the game, none of that seemed to matter.

He’d just listen before a mission. Just like now, he’d find an out-of-the-way corner and chill. He didn’t focus on whatever impossibilities he’d have to face next. In this case, it was whom he had to deal with.

Or sometimes when he just needed a ****ing break. A fresh perspective when studying weapon schematics could work wonders, after all.

And when he opened his eyes again, he felt better.

He tore off the earphones. He wasn’t sure how much time he had left, but he was done here.

<<To Armory>>

Comment

<< From Armory & Stores >>

The men at Stores had been really helpful, and had provided him with a full mission clothes kit, of all the colours available. Even a radio, and other trinkets he had never suspected were there. He did think though that a lot of things wouldn't fit with their cover, so he decided not to pack those at all. But, it was nice to have them all the same.

There were some female voices coming from the other end of the hallway as he entered it and turned the corner. Even though his room was just opposite Dr Carrie's, David was too much in thought to notice who was talking to whom, to him it was just voices.

He closed the door to his room and began to inspect the kit and sort everything out. They had given him a reminder of the instructions for use as well so it would be easy to work it all out. It was the best thing to do if he prepared himself as best he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Girl View Post
                                Carrie grinned up towards Cal, "Thanks, then I might just make it"

She placed her pajamas in the trunk at her feet, stifling a grin of the image of her being dragged through the gate room in said outfit, wearing a mud face mask and to top it off, some curler in her hair. 'Where the heck did the curlers come from? I've never owned any??'
                                "Don't worry Cal, I'll be there. In time..." Carrie resumed eye contact with the woman "I promise."

She let her eyes wander between her bed and the trunk, "Thanks, but no thanks Ryn. I don't doubt that you're effective. I just like to know where everything goes."

<<Dr Carrie's room>>

Ryn shrugged-then-winced (it had become a habit of late, even if it didn't really hurt all that much anymore). "Okay, doc. I'm just down the hall if you change your mind.". She looked at the two other women and decided she just had to go back to her room now, or do other things. It was kind of obvious they wanted to chat, or maybe she was reading it wrong.

"See you later!" Ryn didn't add any rank or anything, the situation seemed to be a quite informal one and she doubted she'd be told off, especially once she disappeared in a hurry.

She headed out just as Williams closed his door and frowned a little, having not heard anyone pass by. Hm. Maybe I imagined that...

<< Ryn back to her room >>

Comment

Working...
                                X