This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
    Does anyone else think that we should be able to vote for someone to become a moderator, someone who can speak for the people and spread enlightenment to a place where there once was none.
    NO! This isn't a democracy, it's benevolent dictatorship. Darren is the ruler, the moderators are his deputies. That's good enough for me.

IMHO, anyone who actively SEEKS the job, probably shouldn't have it.
    You're never too old to do something goofy.
    sigpic
    Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
      I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Darren to change the way things are run around here. I don't mean that to sound dismissive or rude but just to say that the plan we have in place for picking new moderators is what Darren and the rest of us feels is the best option. It's as democratic as we can make it given the fact that Darren has final say. The way it works is that Darren says to us it's time for a new mod, or as was the case last time when Major Tyler, Tame, and Kiwi were made mods he says it's time for several new mods. At that time the mods already in place put forth names of people who we've seen in the course of our modding around the forum who seem to exhibit at least a modicum of common sense, play fairly frequently here on the forum, can write a fairly articulate post, and who seem to have their tempers in check. After lengthy discussion we put it to a vote and majority rules. Darren can override our nominations at any time but he'll usually go with whoever we choose. Given that there are mods from nearly every faction of the fandom (ship, slash, gen, etc so on and so forth) we usually have a pretty good representation for the fandom in general.
      I think that maybe experimentation is in place, I mean a mod should be fairly articulate with their tempers in check, right?

What if they made simple posts that's easy for all, newbies and oldies, to understand. I've seen people going around the forum bossing people around and correcting people and doing the mods jobs, they say they're 'just being helpful' but in truth it just seems somewhat arrogant to me. They leave a link and just say 'there!' and then the threads over without time for much discussion over the topic.
      Most of the posts that the mods have made, no offence to you guys coz you're all fantastic (yes you too, Daz), but most of the posts are huge...
      If people come in with a simple question, wouldn't it just be even to give a simple answer???

Now perhaps if this plan was to go forward, it should be like a general election. The people with the most votes are at the top and are narrowed down to three - and the final dicision should be made by the mods. Out of the three remaining candidates, one is chosen.

Remember, this thing could go on for months. If it starts soon, then in 6 months time when Darren and his ascended mods decide that they need a new moderator - the three are chosen and the new age of moderation begins...
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Darren to change the way things are run around here. I don't mean that to sound dismissive or rude but just to say that the plan we have in place for picking new moderators is what Darren and the rest of us feels is the best option. It's as democratic as we can make it given the fact that Darren has final say. The way it works is that Darren says to us it's time for a new mod, or as was the case last time when Major Tyler, Tame, and Kiwi were made mods he says it's time for several new mods. At that time the mods already in place put forth names of people who we've seen in the course of our modding around the forum who seem to exhibit at least a modicum of common sense, play fairly frequently here on the forum, can write a fairly articulate post, and who seem to have their tempers in check. After lengthy discussion we put it to a vote and majority rules. Darren can override our nominations at any time but he'll usually go with whoever we choose.
        We know the system is good how it is , and works really well and we are not trying to convince Darren to change the way he gets his moderaters on this forum as it is his playground and his rules its just we want him to atleast try once our Democratic way if it doesnt work he can say No as he has final say and that will be the end of it , its always nice to try some thing new everynow and again though and if it doesnt work he can always take back the magic beans
        Last edited by ~Benjamin~; 28 October 2006, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jynjyr View Post
          NO! This isn't a democracy, it's benevolent dictatorship. Darren is the ruler, the moderators are his deputies. That's good enough for me.

yup and just because members could elect someone doesn't mean that there the best for the job.

do you think member X could had handled all the merging and etc. post SG-1 cancellation
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            Incidentally, are you implying that the mods don't speak for the people and aren't enlightened?
            I just said because it sounded wicked to be honest, the current mods are amazing, dont get me wrong...I just think that if they are searching or new blood in their ranks thenthis could be an option.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds View Post
              yup and just because members could elect someone doesn't mean that there the best for the job.

do you think member X could had handled all the merging and etc. post SG-1 cancellation
              Do you really think that the current moderators started knowing how to do absolutely everything they now had at their disposal? no, of course not. They learned to use that power and not just press any button to experiment and see what did what to which thread/post.

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone else think that we should be able to vote for someone to become a moderator, someone who can speak for the people and spread enlightenment to a place where there once was none.
                are you out of your fraking mind that would suck completely

Comment

Originally posted by FORDs Follower View Post
                  We know the system is good how it is , and works really well and we are not trying to convince Darren to change the way he gets his moderaters on this forum as it is his playground and his rules its just we want him to atleast try once our Democratic way if it doesnt work he can say No as he has final say and that will be the end of it , its always nice to try some thing new everynow and again though and if it doesnt work he can always take back the magic beans

its nice to see that the moderaters have things that covered
                  I guess what I'm trying to say is if it ain't broke why fix it? The way it is now we've had yet to pick a loser. By that I don't mean that everybody on the forum loves every single one of us. We each have people who don't like us, think we're unfair, that we're horrible people, and/or that we're out to get them. I don't think it's a job requirement that a mod be universally loved. By we haven't picked a loser yet I mean that we've yet to ever have to ask someone to step down as mod because they weren't right for the job or they did something really terribly out of line. I'm not saying that we're perfect. There have been instances when a mod, myself included, has posted something in the heat of the moment that should not have been posted but when that happens the other mods step in and discuss the situation with the mod in question and the situation is remedied to the best of our abilities. We as the moderators, IMO, are the best people to know what you need to be a moderator and that's why we choose them. If you open the job to general elections, even if the forum picks the top 3 candidates and the mods pick the winner, those 3 people may not be the right people for the job.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

This thread has a very deja vu fill about it

Wasn't this, or something very similar, brought up just a short time ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Jynjyr View Post

im not seeking that job , im supporting the democracy way of getting our moderaters

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post

mappy want to be a mod and is going about it the wrong way

Comment

Originally posted by Adria View Post
                          mappy want to be a mod and is going about it the wrong way
                          lol haha

If we had this election, I know that no one would vote for me anyways - at least it's an option for someone on the forum who could be a brilliant moderator. It would skyrocket their self-esteem.

sigpic

Comment

lol haha

well who doesn't on this forum?
                            shadowmaat !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adria View Post
                              shadowmaat !!!

sigpic

Comment

I guess what I'm trying to say is if it ain't broke why fix it? The way it is now we've had yet to pick a loser. By that I don't mean that everybody on the forum loves every single one of us. We each have people who don't like us, think we're unfair, that we're horrible people, and/or that we're out to get them. I don't think it's a job requirement that a mod be universally loved. By we haven't picked a loser yet I mean that we've yet to ever have to ask someone to step down as mod because they weren't right for the job or they did something really terribly out of line. I'm not saying that we're perfect. There have been instances when a mod, myself included, has posted something in the heat of the moment that should not have been posted but when that happens the other mods step in and discuss the situation with the mod in question and the situation is remedied to the best of our abilities. We as the moderators, IMO, are the best people to know what you need to be a moderator and that's why we choose them. If you open the job to general elections, even if the forum picks the top 3 candidates and the mods pick the winner, those 3 people may not be the right people for the job.
                                what im trying to say is can we improve the system?
                                ok i change how about a system where you pick the candidates(if they accept) and then we as a forum discide on the forums prefrence (darrens ultimatly picks the wouldbe moderater) so atleast we as a forum get a bit of say and you as moderaters still pick the candidates so they fit the requirements its kinda like what you mods do but on a larger scale so we can get involved on the pick of the moderaters?
                                you say there will be no loser your way but we are all big boys and girls and know what your in for if nominated

just an idea that one
                                Last edited by ~Benjamin~; 28 October 2006, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X