Clear All

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
    K so that's 4 variables

admins> what's the formula ?
    complicated
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful Dragon View Post
      I don't know if this has been asked before, but what exactly goes on at 'conventions'. GateCon UK 2006 was held in Cheltenham, which isn't too far away from where I live. I'd love to have gone but couldn't afford the £300 (or whatever) that they were asking. That may have included local accomodation, which I don't need being fairly local. Either way, I thought it was a bit steep.

Hubby asked what went on at conventions and I couldn't tell him. So, what would I have got for my money?
      To help you, i will r elate some of my experiences from the Vancouver 2006 Stargate Convention.

Most conventions will have actors, directors, writers and/or any member of the production staff from the show appear as a guest. The big ticket guests are usually the actors and producers. All conventions will offer chances to get signatures (autographs) and photos (called photo-ops) from attending con guests. In general, it will cost money to buy a ticket for a signature and a photo-op. There will also be panels (or appearances) for every major guest. This is an opportunity for the guest to perform a short skit, do a comedy routine, or simply just talk to the fans. A question and answer period will usually follow the panel, where con-goers can ask the guests questions. Some guests may just do a question and answer thing for their entire panel. (Some guests did that in vancouver).

In addition to the standard guest panels, autographs and photo-ops, there may be additional opportunities to see guests. A formal dinner party, a brunch, or some other planned event. Usually these events cost extra because they require a separate ticket. Or they may be included in a package deal. For example, Creation (which runs most the US Stargate conventions) offers a Gold ticket package that includes autographs, reserved seating, admission to several events not available to other ticket levels, etc). Almost all convention companies have varying ticket levels. In general, the most expensive ticket levels include the "most stuff" and let you experience everything the con has to offer for a package price. Other ticket levels offer an ecocomic means of participating in some, but not all of the events a con has to offer. Costs and ticket packages vary widely across convention companies, and are even affected by the venue the con is located at.

One big draw at a con are auctions where official props and even original scripts are sold to raise money for a charity of some sort. Be ready to spend big, as some hot ticket items will reach the thousands of dollars! But the chance to own an original prop is usually worth the price you bid. Also, there are usually vendors who sell officially licensed merchandise and various trinkets and souvenirs. Some convention companies will even give you a free gift when you arrive at the con, as a thanks for attending.

In general. at most conventions, you will meet actors, producers and other members of the production crew as guests. You will have opportunities to get autographs and photos, as well. You can choose what you would like to experience at a con by choosing the appropriate ticket package. The most expensive packages let you "experience everything." Cheaper packages offer the major events. Check with the convention company for details on the ticket packages and costs. You will have plenty of chances to by souvenirs and trinkets, as vendors will be present throughout the entire con, and acutions will allow you a unique opportunity to bid on a chance to own an official prop or an original script or something.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno View Post
        complicated
        complication is irrelevant

try me

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
          complication is irrelevant

try me
          Formula unknown.

Comment

Does anybody know where the test thread is? A few days ago I found a thread that had been set up for people to test new sigs or their ability to post images - basically anything they weren't comfortable with. When I saw it I thought, "Great. I'll come back here in a few days when I've got my new sig." Now I've got my sig, but I can't find the thread.

I don't want to do random posts just trying to get my sig working and/or post some images. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? If so, can you please give me a link?
            C-D
            Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful Dragon View Post
              Does anybody know where the test thread is? A few days ago I found a thread that had been set up for people to test new sigs or their ability to post images - basically anything they weren't comfortable with. When I saw it I thought, "Great. I'll come back here in a few days when I've got my new sig." Now I've got my sig, but I can't find the thread.

I don't want to do random posts just trying to get my sig working and/or post some images. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? If so, can you please give me a link?

It is in the Off-Topic Chatter section and is stickied so it will be one of the first two threads you come across there.

The Ultimate TESTING Posts/Sigs/Etc. Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Random User
                Hey Darren, can we get a folder for XYZ in Alternate Universes?? It's really popular.
                I can tell you right now it isn't going to happen. Darren's explained it often enough- he wants PROOF that a new folder is needed before he'll even consider making one. And proof means heavy traffic and massive visible popularity, not just high ratings and a handful of posts per episode.

Loot at how fast the page count adds up after new eps of BSG, SG-1 and Atlantis have aired. You could get lost in all the shuffle. But Supernatural, Heroes and Jericho? You could skip a couple of days before reading the post-ep discussion and it'd only take you a minute or three to catch up. *shrug* Plus, for all that they're "popular" shows they only have one thread each attracting consistent discussion. For now, at least, they don't seem to need more than that, certainly not a whole folder. Same goes for some of the other shows that have been suggested as "needing" folders- their actual popularity just doesn't warrant it.

If I want a different spin on a show or a more active discussion, I find another board, one that's either geared specifically towards that show (as Gateworld is geared specifically towards Stargate) or one that's more generalized. The Television Without Pity Boards are great for a wide range of show discussions although even there some shows only get one thread each. Ironically, SG-1 and Atlantis are among them.

Comment

I wanted to find a thread where people might be talking about minor SG1/SGA characters they see in new stuff and what they think of the role vs who they were in SGC. I'm just not sure where to look for such a thread. There are many shows which are not SGC specific and have their own section (i.e. LOST, BSG, etc) but those are all SciFi shows. This is a network show which stars (as part of an ensemble cast) Alexis Cruz who of course played Ska'ara (sp?) in the early SG1 seasons. Anyone have advice on finding those of like mind regards this subject?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by raduzhok View Post
                    I wanted to find a thread where people might be talking about minor SG1/SGA characters they see in new stuff and what they think of the role vs who they were in SGC. I'm just not sure where to look for such a thread. There are many shows which are not SGC specific and have their own section (i.e. LOST, BSG, etc) but those are all SciFi shows. This is a network show which stars (as part of an ensemble cast) Alexis Cruz who of course played Ska'ara (sp?) in the early SG1 seasons. Anyone have advice on finding those of like mind regards this subject?
                    I think this is the thread you are looking for, but I'm not entirely certain.

Stargate Actor News & Appearances

It's located in Briefing Room, Stagate News section.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                      I think this is the thread you are looking for, but I'm not entirely certain.

Stargate Actor News & Appearances

It's located in Briefing Room, Stagate News section.
                      Thank you CalmStorm!
                      sigpic

Comment

I've only recently started to give people reputation as I kept forgetting it was there but I'm wondering if there is a problem with it. When I click on the scales icon the pop up menu comes up and says "What do you think of xxxxxx's post" with the 2 clickable options but there is no description with either of them so I don't know which one is positive or negative.

Any suggestions or is it just my system?
                        sigpic

Comment

i approve is green .....use this is you liked the users post

i disapprove is red......use this if you disagree with the poster or you don't like there viewpoint ....or if there make a rude comment

Comment

Thanks Adria - the problem is that it doesn't say anything at all or show any colours on mine so I assume green is the top one?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                              Thanks Adria - the problem is that it doesn't say anything at all or show any colours on mine so I assume green is the top one?
                              Yes, it should be the top one.

My rep giving is normal, so i suspect it's just your system for some reason - it might be an idea to PM Greg and mention it.
                              I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

this is what it should look like for everyone click on picture
                                Last edited by Adria; 31 May 2007, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X