Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A newbie poster asks about personal avatars and we all know that you can do this at 2000 posts. But why 2000? It is a bit extreme, when you consider most forums nowadays allows you your own avatar after confirmation of registration. The reason I bring this up, is because there are a lot of members like myself who are limited to net downloads, ie mine net account is a pre-paid wireless mobile and can be quite expensive, so I have to limit what I do on the net.
    That being so, I'm going to be pushing up daisies before I get to 2000. I think a lower number even in the hundreds would be fairer for this small priveledge.

Also in the number of posts to reach a rank, it's the same deal, for some it might be quick, but for others, tediously slow, maybe a system where Threads started could be bonus points.

And one last, why is there no.....

"Master Sergeant of the Air Force (CMSAF). CMSgts are superintendents and managers who provide senior enlisted leadership. They are assigned chief enlisted manager (CEM) codes upon selection to CMSgt who may fill any managerial-level position and perform all duties not prohibited by law or directive."

In the ranking system?
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

I completely agree. I'm a person who posts a lot but this 2000 before your own avatar" thing is insane. Not only does it not motivate me to post more it makes me resentful when I do knowing that unless I spend all my wakeing hours posting just for the sake of posting I'll NEVER get there. Plus, even if I did the prize isn't enough.
      I think it should be what you said: either as soon as you register or (if you want to be some what of a pain) after the first 100 posts. By then you know the person posting is frequent and "worthy" of their own avatar.

What ever you decide but fix this insulting criteria for something so small...please

Thank you,
      Mac Jackson
      Singer/Songwriter of
      "Harmony Constant"
      [email protected]
      myspace.com/harmonyconstant
      youtube.com/MacWJack
      Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Jackson View Post
        I completely agree. I'm a person who posts a lot but this 2000 before your own avatar" thing is insane. Not only does it not motivate me to post more it makes me resentful when I do knowing that unless I spend all my wakeing hours posting just for the sake of posting I'll NEVER get there. Plus, even if I did the prize isn't enough.
        You should be posting because you have something interesting to say not because you get a prize. The avatars and other perks are not meant to be motivators to post, but nice perks for long time posters. Darren set up this forum for discussions not prizes.
        sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
          You should be posting because you have something interesting to say not because you get a prize. The avatars and other perks are not meant to be motivators to post, but nice perks for long time posters. Darren set up this forum for discussions not prizes.
          It's not a prize Thunder, it's just a personal thing, perk or no, it's ridiculous. Of course we're regular posters, but look at it from my perspective, I'm 58 and with my limited net time, I'll never get to see that change. And the important thing I want to mention in the same vein, I want people to see ME, not someone I like just because they're on the show.
          And it irritates me no end, not knowing what gender I'm talking to..what is this, guys with female avatar's and vice versa. I'm used to referring to strangers as either sir, or ma'am...boy have I been shot down on that one, it's damn embarrasing!
          My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
          sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
            It's not a prize Thunder, it's just a personal thing, perk or no, it's ridiculous. Of course we're regular posters, but look at it from my perspective, I'm 58 and with my limited net time, I'll never get to see that change. And the important thing I want to mention in the same vein, I want people to see ME, not someone I like just because they're on the show.
            And it irritates me no end, not knowing what gender I'm talking to..what is this, guys with female avatar's and vice versa. I'm used to referring to strangers as either sir, or ma'am...boy have I been shot down on that one, it's damn embarrasing!
            It sounds like you're trying to make the forum into something you want it to be instead of accepting what Darren (the owner) wants it to be. If you want people to see you then create a signature that expresses your personality.

Avatars won't help with the gender thing. You might be able to tell my gender from my signature, but you'd never know it from my avatar. If you don't think you are ever going to reach 2000 posts then if a personal avatar is that important then it sounds like you need to find a different forum to join. It took me a almost a year to reach 2000, and with rarely posting in any on topic areas any more I doubt I'll reach any other milestone, but that's fine, I'm not here for the perks (and that's what they are regardless of what you want them to be).

I would very much like to have a better choice of title (or no title), and I've expressed that several times - even more so after they switched from the goauld to the military ranks, but I've realized that's not going to happen. I complained even more when they went to the STUPID (and headache inducing) black background. But learned that the forum is what it is and nothing I say is going to change it. So live with what you get, find your own way around it (like I did with the background color) or go somewhere else.
            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
              A newbie poster asks about personal avatars and we all know that you can do this at 2000 posts. But why 2000? It is a bit extreme, when you consider most forums nowadays allows you your own avatar after confirmation of registration. The reason I bring this up, is because there are a lot of members like myself who are limited to net downloads, ie mine net account is a pre-paid wireless mobile and can be quite expensive, so I have to limit what I do on the net.
              That being so, I'm going to be pushing up daisies before I get to 2000. I think a lower number even in the hundreds would be fairer for this small priveledge.

Also in the number of posts to reach a rank, it's the same deal, for some it might be quick, but for others, tediously slow, maybe a system where Threads started could be bonus points.

And one last, why is there no.....

"Master Sergeant of the Air Force (CMSAF). CMSgts are superintendents and managers who provide senior enlisted leadership. They are assigned chief enlisted manager (CEM) codes upon selection to CMSgt who may fill any managerial-level position and perform all duties not prohibited by law or directive."

In the ranking system?
              It has taken me from when I joined until last month to reach 2000 posts, and I joined a week after this forum started.

Everything that happens on this forum happens because the forum owner wants it that way.

This forum is not a democracy. It is, at best, a benign dictatorship.

Yes, there are forums out there that let you have what you want, as soon as you want them, but this is not one of them.

And, yes, Master Sergeants are the salt of the earth, but when you put salt on earth nothing productive grows.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                I agree Thunderstorm and that is why I post(like now when I need to defend my support of anothers idea) however my point was that the "perk" mentioned should be available sooner and not so unatainable. No need to get defensive. I just sharing my ideas trying to do my part for the site.
                Mac Jackson
                Singer/Songwriter of
                "Harmony Constant"
                [email protected]
                youtube.com/MacWJack

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Jackson View Post
                  I agree Thunderstorm and that is why I post(like now when I need to defend my support of anothers idea) however my point was that the "perk" mentioned should be available sooner and not so unatainable. No need to get defensive. I just sharing my ideas trying to do my part for the site.
                  What's unattainable for some, it's easy to reach for others. I've seen people reach 2000 posts so fast that they still don't get a custom avatar because they haven't been members long enough. Not everyone will be happy with the rules, but those rules are there for a reason. IMHO.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                    What's unattainable for some, it's easy to reach for others. I've seen people reach 2000 posts so fast that they still don't get a custom avatar because they haven't been members long enough. Not everyone will be happy with the rules, but those rules are there for a reason. IMHO.
                    I can't wait to find out what they are.
                    Mac Jackson
                    Singer/Songwriter of
                    "Harmony Constant"
                    [email protected]
                    youtube.com/MacWJack

Comment

Hi everyone ! *Waves*

Darren set the privileges and ranks to reward members for longevity and SG/Sci Fi-related discussion posts back in 2004.
                      The OT-Chatter section doesn't count in our post tallies,because for every deeper discussion thread that isn't SG/Scifi related,there are probably about 5 that are for fun chats,counting games ,and miscellaneous other topics.

The easiest and best way to build post counts and reach the "custom " avatar level is to relax and have fun.
                      Do as other members have suggested in the meantime ,and use your sig space to add the personal touch to your Posts.
                      ( You can also customise your profile "Page" to your own specifications .)

Suggestions/ideas for forum improvements can be posted here :
                      GateWorld Suggestion Box

Requests for an answer from Darren/Sky/Mods (as appropriate) need to be posted to the "ATM" thread ,so your questions can be easily found :Ask The Mods

General note :

As Darren is only able to give GW a part of his time just now,due to moving cross-country ,and other RL reasons ,it might be a while before he can catch up personally in this section ,but I and the other Mods/Members can help with regard to a wide range of forum-related issues or problems.

Hope this sorts out a few things.
                      If not : let us know .Feedback is always welcome !
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Hi

Got a question, I tryed now some times to make my birthday visible, but it don't work, can someone please help me?

http://freezeframe4vets.org/index.php
                        http://nanjana.livejournal.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nanjana View Post
                          Hi

Got a question, I tryed now some times to make my birthday visible, but it don't work, can someone please help me?
                          Click My Controls at the top of bowser window. On the left of new page is "You Control Panal" with various links. Click Edit Your Details. Now look at the picture I have provided in the spoiler tags
                          Spoiler:
                          [

Select the one that you prefer. Now scroll down to the bottom of the browser window and click save changes
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Does Any one know what size a signature should be made??

Comment

At most 200 pixels tall and 700 wide, 50 KB in size. This for both images and text.
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm still trying to find my way around here. So be gentle please!
                                Do we have a chat room on here?

Thanks for the help.. I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions soon.
                                WraithQueenH

"You are more like Wraith than you know."
                                "I'm not sure I like the sound of that."
                                "There is much about Wraith that you do not know, Sheppard."
                                - John Sheppard and Todd, "Common Ground"

"We all agree the Ancients were pretty screwed up. All the ones I met were arrogant and condescending and not for good reason. Now they made giant mistakes and never fixed them." - John Sheppard

Comment

Working...
                                X