This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post

I love the Idea of Reps but getting 100 reps is quite difficult to add other boxes. I think you should half it to 50. Or give me same Free Reps. I have over 400 post and only 38 reps.

Yet other ppl have only 200 posts and are fully topped with Green.

Whining about your lack of Green is not how you get Green, seriously. It's more likely to get you Red, which will take points away from your 38 points. Whining is very unbecoming.

The fact that you have over 400 posts means absolutely nothing about your Rep. Where do you post? What do you post? "I agree!" "Great post!" "I only have 38 Rep points! Whine, Whine, Whine!" is not how you get Green. You make thought provoking posts, you contribute to the conversation or the thread. That's how you get more Rep Points. Your post count means absolutely nothing related to your Rep Points. It takes absolutely nothing to get over 400 posts.

Adrianne
    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
    It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      nope it won't go away ( the thread itself) just the stars nothing to worry about.
      Thanks for letting me know.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Do the stars really make any difference? I mean, are you going to stop visiting a thread because it doesn't have enough stars? Will it make a thread less popular? Do you stop getting complementary chocolates if you don't have a full star rating?

Seriously, what does it matter, particularly if you and everyone else on a thread knows you're only being sabotaged? Sure, it's a little irritating, but it's also incredibly, overwhelmingly infantile of someone (or some group) to try such a tactic. The "victims" get the moral high ground and with no real loss to themselves or their "cause."
      Well I guess in the grand scheme of things, they don't really make a difference (although it would be nice to know what purpose they serve, I suppose), but it is a bit irritating, especially when you see people crowing about how many stars their thread has and how little yours has, which could only translate in how "bad, baaaad" your thread is

Maybe I'd just feel better if there was no rating system, although I know that's not up to me to decide. I guess I'll just try to ignore it.

But thanks again to the person who said nothing happens to the thread - that was the thing I was worried about (bad enough to have people gloat about how they took your rating down, but even worse to have them gloat that they made the thread disappear).

Comment

There are dozens upon dozens of threads with no star rating at all, if that makes anyone feel any better.

And if the star rating system is anything like it is elsewhere then it tends to be fairly inconsistent in its workings. Sometimes someone voting one star won't do anything and sometimes it'll drop the rating... or make it go up. There could be an actual method to it, but on the whole I think it's even more meaningless than the rep system, which at least allows you to pass comments on to other people.

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post

I love the Idea of Reps but getting 100 reps is quite difficult to add other boxes. I think you should half it to 50. Or give me same Free Reps. I have over 400 post and only 38 reps.

Yet other ppl have only 200 posts and are fully topped with Green.

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post
          Whining about your lack of Green is not how you get Green, seriously. It's more likely to get you Red, which will take points away from your 38 points. Whining is very unbecoming.

The fact that you have over 400 posts means absolutely nothing about your Rep. Where do you post? What do you post? "I agree!" "Great post!" "I only have 38 Rep points! Whine, Whine, Whine!" is not how you get Green. You make thought provoking posts, you contribute to the conversation or the thread. That's how you get more Rep Points. Your post count means absolutely nothing related to your Rep Points. It takes absolutely nothing to get over 400 posts.

Adrianne
          What Adrianne said I mean honestly it doesn't matter how much post you have...You could have over 10.000 posts and still have 38 rep points...it all depends where you post and what you post... I mean try to get involved in the fandom, blend in a bit and people will start appreciating your posts... and then their will come green...and honestly does it matter how much green you have?
          Oh wait it does lol...

And btw spamming a thread whining about green doesn't really help either... and if you so desperate needs green...try the off topic section...their is a thread that gives out green...Of course what is the fun of getting those greens??

Honestly what I like the most are the messages I get when I got green Or the pics

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
            What Adrianne said I mean honestly it doesn't matter how much post you have...You could have over 10.000 posts and still have 38 rep points...it all depends where you post and what you post... I mean try to get involved in the fandom, blend in a bit and people will start appreciating your posts... and then their will come green...and honestly does it matter how much green you have?
            Oh wait it does lol.
            no it doesn't matter it's just a color the comments are all that matter.
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Jst View Post
              So to get to my question, how does a show go about getting it's own forum on this board?
              A show needs to be currently in production (I think Firefly had the movie due when the folder was created) in order to warrant consideration for its own subsection. There also has to be a demonstrated interest/need in having such a folder. Surface has neither. However, there's a Surface discussion thread gathering dust at the bottom of the general SF&F section.

Final call is, of course, Darren's, but seeing as the one "real" Surface thread we had wasn't mightily popular I can't see why space would be wasted on a whole folder for a "one season wonder."

I loved Surface while it lasted, but I don't think it stands a chance of ever coming back. Irritating, but inevitable.

Comment

darren also posted once that it also depends on his viewing habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonmatel View Post
                  Quick Question.
                  I was going to start a thread yesterday with a poll in it, only i had no idea how to do it....
                  How do you start a poll ?
                  you can also make polls on your own in OT: Fun and Games.
                  sigpic
                  "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                  Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

what happen to Qasim???

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                      what happen to Qasim???
                      He lost interest in the forum and left.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                        He lost interest in the forum and left.
                        it's a shame he was first to 10.000.

Comment

Why is the "Galactica vs. Daedelus" Thread in the "Science & Tech" Forum, while the "Borg vs. Replicator" Thread was moved to the "Fun & Games" Forum?

I didn't make either, I'm just curious.
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Probably because no one reported the thread in S&T.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Probably because no one reported the thread in S&T.
                              Well it has over 600 posts, and it's been in there for over a year.
                              sigpic
                              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                                Well it has over 600 posts, and it's been in there for over a year.
                                I don't think the section gets a lot of casual visitors, so "outsiders" aren't likely to be around to report it and "insiders" are psychotically devoted and viciously protective of their threads (at least in my experience) so they aren't likely to do it themselves.

If it bothers you that much, report it yourself, otherwise accept that some threads aren't going to move no matter how much they may deserve it.

EDIT: And I'll say this, too: I report every instance of those X vs. Y threads that I find, but I will NEVER set foot in that hellspawned section again.
                                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 28 March 2007, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X