This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post
    Someone of you might know the answer to this very unimportant question.

Has the PM character limit always been 2000? Is it the same for every poster (i.e. does it depend on the post count level, like the maximum number of PMs you can have at one point does)?

I can't remember ever surpassing the character limit except for today...
    I'm pretty sure it is the same for everyone and it's been that way for a while. The only difference between post count levels is the number of PMs that you can store.

I hate the 2000 character limit. I can almost never get my PMs to be under the limit and have to go back and edit to get it smaller or just end up sending it in two PMs. I wished they'd increase it.

From the "Ask the Mods" thread.

Originally posted by PG15
    Yo mods! Is there anyway to see my past rep comments?
    There is a way to see past reps that are no longer shown.

I did this back when reps were made no longer anonymous. You can put users on ignore and the system will ignore their reps and thus cause other rep messages to appear. You have to fiddle around with it by putting different people on ignore and then taking them off again to get it to show most if not all past reps depending on how many you have. I guess it's possible to have so many reps from one user that you could never go back and see all the reps that particular person gave you because the system is set to only shows so many reps at a time.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

maximum of 2000 characters
      well your just writing a pm not a book i wouldn't think it would need to be a long drawn out thing.
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        well your just writing a pm not a book i wouldn't think it would need to be a long drawn out thing.
        2000 characters is not a lot at all. Especially when you quote the person u are replying too. It's really annoying when you have to delete some of their text to make room for your own... and sometimes not even that helps.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
        There is a way to see past reps that are no longer shown.

I did this back when reps were made no longer anonymous. You can put users on ignore and the system will ignore their reps and thus cause other rep messages to appear. You have to fiddle around with it by putting different people on ignore and then taking them off again to get it to show most if not all past reps depending on how many you have. I guess it's possible to have so many reps from one user that you could never go back and see all the reps that particular person gave you because the system is set to only shows so many reps at a time.
        Thank you! I had no idea you could do that... interesting must try it

Comment

Originally posted by Ronja View Post
          2000 characters is not a lot at all. Especially when you quote the person u are replying too. It's really annoying when you have to delete some of their text to make room for your own... and sometimes not even that helps.
          Agreed! But I don't talk too much.

Adrianne
          If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
          It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

i have a question, is there a thread for people who have msn problems? because i have a question about that and i don't know where to post it.
            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sg-daniel View Post
              i have a question, is there a thread for people who have msn problems? because i have a question about that and i don't know where to post it.
              thanks
              just go make a thread it's easier

Comment

just go make a thread it's easier
                Terrible advice!

You could do a search on "msn problems" and see what comes up. Or you could just ask your question here.

Don't just go starting a thread all willy-nilly.

Adrianne
                If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post
                  Terrible advice!

You could do a search on "msn problems" and see what comes up. Or you could just ask your question here.

Adrianne
                  oh ya like MSN is something everyone talks about on STARGATE forum

Comment

oh ya like MSN is something everyone talks about on STARGATE forum
                    Excuse me, people ask advice on picture size and how to make movies here, surely he can ask his MSN question here. People do use MSN to discuss Stargate or anything else privately with friends they meet here.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

I just noticed this. Are you addressing me or people in general? Sorry but, a private message is exactly that - PRIVATE. It's up to me how much or how little text I put in a private message. If it's a long and drawn out thing to you; well fine that's your prerogative. I'm certainly not going to tell someone how many characters they should write in their PM.

Originally posted by Ronja View Post
                      Exactly Ronja. 2000 characters is not that much. I only used as much characters as was necessary to reply and it just so happened that the message hit the maximum limit.
                      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I'm certainly not going to tell someone how many characters they should write in their PM.
                        Darren did by setting it to 2000

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                          I just noticed this. Are you addressing me or people in general? Sorry but, a private message is exactly that - PRIVATE. It's up to me how much or how little text I put in a private message. If it's a long and drawn out thing to you; well fine that's your prerogative. I'm certainly not going to tell someone how many characters they should write in their PM.

Exactly Ronja. 2000 characters is not that much. I only used as much characters as was necessary to reply and it just so happened that the message hit the maximum limit.
                          I think the point trying to be made was that PMs are simply not designed as a system for having big, long, detailed conversations - email or, I guess, something like MSN Messenger is far better suited to that purpose - so if you want to be having those kind of discussions then perhaps PM is not the best mode to use. I assume, from Darren's point of view, that the word limit - like the maximum inbox limit - is there for practical reasons to do with memory and storage space.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post

sooo agreed ... it drives me absolutely nuts ... and if i want to write a book to someone ... it is up to them whether they want to read it or toss it or respond to it .... and the quoting thing is true ... deleting can change or lose the context ... and if you haven't repsonded immediately you can lose the whole thought process ...

i find the limit very frustrating

teehee!!
                            sigpic
                            SCORE!!
                            The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Originally posted by aintright View Post
                              sooo agreed ... it drives me absolutely nuts ... and if i want to write a book to someone ... it is up to them whether they want to read it or toss it or respond to it .... and the quoting thing is true ... deleting can change or lose the context ... and if you haven't repsonded immediately you can lose the whole thought process ...

i find the limit very frustrating

teehee!!
                              Well, it does give you a worthy challenge - how to edit your PM without losing meaning.
                              Much like hitting the 12,000 characters limit for regular posts.

*innocent*
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post
                                Terrible advice!

Adrianne
                                indeed, i don't want open a thread just because i have one question, because i really don't like the people who open a thread for everything. thats why i searched the forum already for "msn problems", but that didn't work. i thought maybe you people know a thread that wasnt in the search.

Comment

Working...
                                X