X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post
    Oo I don't think you annoyed me
    This is the thread for Members Helping Members ignorance so, technically, you came to the right place and I gave you a more appropriate place to ... ask about your rep

Yes?
    No?

Adrianne
    Yeah, I guess you are right there

Was just making sure

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
      I agree, but the thing is that I know my comment was pretty innocent. I just complimented someone on a drawing they made. I don't know how "very nice drawing!" would draw the ire of someone else, unless it was of a couple or character that they didn't like. Personally I find that silly even if others may not.
      I had a lot of free time on my hands before and I read almost the entire Rep & Everything thread (that I directed you to before) ... Around page ... Oo I don't know, early on ... when the Rep System was new they were talking about what is worthy of getting a Red Rep point someone said, "If I don't agree with you, I red you. It says, 'I don't agree' ... and I don't, therefore, you get red."

Adrianne
      If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
      It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

And I think I took objection to that, too, as did many others.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          And I think I took objection to that, too, as did many others.
          Yep, I think so. But that doesn't change the fact that some people are just going to give Red for whatever reason they want ...

I don't understand the "I accidently gave Red!" argument ... How do you *accidently* give Red? "I agree" is already clicked ... You have to actually click "I don't agree" ... That's a conscious effort.

Adrianne
          If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
            Hey, I figured out that, if you're on someone's ignore list and you post something and a third person quotes you, then the person ignoring you can see your quoted post.
            That is true. If the post is quoted in the nature of the discussion it is one thing. However, to have a friend quote a post simply to get to someone who has you on ignore to be able to see it, is seen as trying to circumvent the ignore function and is frowned upon.

Comment

And the wrath of the mods shall fall upon thee, and they shall smite thee for thine misdeeds!

So yeah, don't circumvent the ignore system. It'd be very bad... for you.
              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                That is true. If the post is quoted in the nature of the discussion it is one thing. However, to have a friend quote a post simply to get to someone who has you on ignore to be able to see it, is seen as trying to circumvent the ignore function and is frowned upon.
                Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                And the wrath of the mods shall fall upon thee, and they shall smite thee for thine misdeeds!

So yeah, don't circumvent the ignore system. It'd be very bad... for you.
                Oh sure, I wasn't even considering actually doing it! I just thought it was interesting.
                Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

I had a lot of free time on my hands before and I read almost the entire Rep & Everything thread (that I directed you to before) ... Around page ... Oo I don't know, early on ... when the Rep System was new they were talking about what is worthy of getting a Red Rep point someone said, "If I don't agree with you, I red you. It says, 'I don't agree' ... and I don't, therefore, you get red."

Adrianne
                  that is way out of line!! Red Rep is only for someone who is abusing people or the rules. If you make a personal attack against someone then you are breaking the rules and deserve Red.
                  Yep, I think so. But that doesn't change the fact that some people are just going to give Red for whatever reason they want ...

I don't understand the "I accidently gave Red!" argument ... How do you *accidently* give Red? "I agree" is already clicked ... You have to actually click "I don't agree" ... That's a conscious effort.

Adrianne
                  The REP system has had glitches in the past and has given red when someone clicked green. If the comment with the red is positive or sweet then you can assume it was a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by purpletoo1 View Post
                    that is way out of line!! Red Rep is only for someone who is abusing people or the rules. If you make a personal attack against someone then you are breaking the rules and deserve Red.
                    I'm not quite sure I follow. There are no rules for giving red. You could be completely backwards and give red for good post and green for bad if you really wanted to. Of course, you can imagine that might not go over well with everyone else due to the constant miscommunication. Giving red isn't attacking someone. Of course, if the message with it does attack the person, that is against the rules and the mods will remove the offending message and correct the person who did the misdeed.

One thing I find odd is how greens seem to be a dime a dozen, while reds are almost revered as an act of terrible power. Getting or giving a red isn't that big of a deal. People have the right to disagree with you and even red you for it, even if it might seem petulant (and if the person giving the red gives great importance to the rep system, it is rather petulant). It's not like a red point will set you back horribly. If it really bothers you, you can show up in the free green thread and negate the red rep's affect and then some. You don't even have to go that far. I once mentioned getting a red rep falsely accusing me of spoiling just as a conversation piece (because I was confused how they thought it was a spoiler), and I ended up getting several green reps to counteract the one red. Overall, the system isn't very meaningful, especially with a free green thread to introduce inflation into the mix, so I really can't imagine how anyone can give it (the point value, that is) serious weight as a part of the forum experience.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

so I really can't imagine how anyone can give it (the point value, that is) serious weight as a part of the forum experience.
                      I have to admit. Another VBulletin I'm on just recently introduced the Rep System and some people have all the blocks now and I still have just one and I only have one Rep Comment ... But at the same time I only post, maybe three times a month if I'm active ... But still, I feel like a heel for not having more Rep points

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Overall, the system isn't very meaningful, especially with a free green thread to introduce inflation into the mix, so I really can't imagine how anyone can give it (the point value, that is) serious weight as a part of the forum experience.
                        The way the current rep system is constructed makes it meaningless yes, but if it was implied like the meta-moderation system Slashdot & co. use it could be meaningful. But, like all systems that are being modded by people it's flawed by design because no one can ever be truely unbiassed.

Then again I have this crazy idea that the rep. system in vBulletin is just a cheap rip-off of the meta-moderation system, but that's just my opinion on it.
                        Last edited by Gregorius; 05 January 2007, 06:18 AM. Reason: Small addition
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

I have to admit. Another VBulletin I'm on just recently introduced the Rep System and some people have all the blocks now and I still have just one and I only have one Rep Comment ... But at the same time I only post, maybe three times a month if I'm active ... But still, I feel like a heel for not having more Rep points
                          Which is one of the reasons I hate the system; it's set up to feel like a popularity contest instead of a behind-the-scenes way to comment on individual posts.

I still think the whole point system should be eliminated and just leave it for the comments...

Comment

For all this talk about rep and red and greens...

If the Rep system really bothers you that much, you can disable it.

In truth, rep is only a number. Ok, some people have a higher number than i do. Some people have a lower number. Do i care? No. Rep is something that is "just there." In a way, how actively you post will determine to an extent how much rep you will gain (or lose). More posts mean people have more material to comment on. While the original intention of the Rep system was to allow appreciation for a well-thought out or good post, it's kinda transformed into a popularity contest for some. "Look at me! I have more rep than you." Or "Your post sucks, so i'm gonna red you." The mods don't and won't police the Rep system. The only time a Mod will intervene with any Rep related is if the comment that was left behind is offensive or rude. They can remove the comment, but not the actual rep. (You're stuck with it whether you like or not). No matter what the original intentions for the Rep system were, there will always be people who circumvent or try to abuse the system. If you get a red, try to figure out why you got it. If it's a case of "Your posts sucks" or "I don't agree with you so i'm giving you a red" or another equally foolish reason, ignore it if you can. To date, i've had 10 red comments. All of which were ridiculous. The last comment stated that "I'm an idiot because this is public forum and that i didn't belong posting in the thread because i had a disagreement with one of the posters in the thread." I'm like whatever. The unrelated green reps that came a few weeks later easily made up for the red. I don't let the rep system bother me too much. I just wing it and whatever rep i get is what i get.

Comment

If the Rep system bothers you alot just diasble it. It's the easiest option and will stop any hard feelings gained. I personally use the system in order to find if I've accidentally hurt someone's feelings so I can appologise or if people agree with me views
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:
                              President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                              President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                              Forum Charmer
                              Forum Ambassador
                              Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

I'm not quite sure I follow. There are no rules for giving red. ... .
                                The rules I speak of are not specifically attached to the rep rule in writing. However, the forum rules of conduct do state what I said and as per mods also apply to the rep system. You will be modded if you personally attack someone (including the actors). But the mods allow for differences of opinion therefore we should too when dealing with each other. So no red rep should be given just because you don't like someones opinion.

That being said, the rep system, although not life or death, is another fun part of being a member here. Many choose to opt out of it because it is meaningless to them but the forum included it as a fun feature and a way to communicate comradery with other members. It is supposed to also show that you have been a respectful poster.

Comment

Working...
                                X