Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-treme Guide to GateWorld (for newbies)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Their are no avatar levels anymore. You get all the GW avatars when you sign up and get the custom when you reach 2000 posts
    thanks jegate: I never new that
    SG-1 members
    Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      There are a LOT of questions that get asked repetitively by newbies which aren't covered by the FAQ.

<snip>

Hi,

While this post is really helpful, I found things that aren't up-to-date or correct which I think you might want to adjust.

1. First, the last green/rep level is now know. Greg has it.
      "Greg has ascended to a higher plane of existence. So long, mortals!"

2. "Post count is tied into your user level and your avatar level,"
      --> Actually it doesn't influence the pre-defined avatars availability any longer. It does still influence your ability to have a custom-avatar.

3. "I believe that "active" rep kicks in around your 50th post (when you're Jaffa Fodder). a gray rep will always be gray- like a leopard, rep doesn't change its spots."

This should be: "I believe that "active" rep kicks in around your 50th post (when you're a Staff Sergeant). A gray rep will always be gray- like a leopard, rep doesn't change its spots.

Also, people on Probie-status (different from Post-Count-Probie) cannot give out green anymore as a protection against spammers.

4. "It's been a while since I've paid attention to this, myself, so I'll let someone else correct my mistakes and provide any specific rep numbers required, but here's what I could find:"

Actually those numbers constantly change around and are thus unknown by anyone except Darren and the administrators, like Greg, Sky, Tame...

This according to Sky.

5. "but I think the maximum point-granting ability is between five to seven points."

Actually that's untrue. Sky's green for example is worth 27 points. Others have greening worth more than 7 points, too. The worth of your own green that you give out is dependent on your own reputation level, green received; the frequency which with you give green (green given); your post-count (activity) and length of membership. According to Sky.

6. "When you join Gateworld, you start off with 13 points and one green block."

Actually you start off with 12 points.

7. "After the first four (I think), it becomes 200 points per block and the levels become progressively higher until you max out at 11 squares. I'm not sure how many points it takes get get from the 10th square to the 11th one, but I think it's around 500."

This should be: "After the first five normal green blocks, when you have more than 500 reputation points, you receive your first fluo-green block. Those lighter- or fluo-green, special, blocks are worth 200 points each. So at 500 points you get the first fluo-green block and at 1500 points you get the last, sixth fluo green block. Thus there are 11 blocks total, 5 normal green ones, worth a 100 points each and 6 fluo-green ones, worth each a 200 points."

It would be great if you could update the post like you did in the past. Thanks for the work you put into it!

Yours sincerly,
      Jasper
      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

2,000 posts. Well that take me until I'm 30 lol. Guess I'll have to start posting like a mad woman to get there...I just hope they give us some (cough) STU avatars (cough)

Comment

Originally posted by CCA View Post
          2,000 posts. Well that take me until I'm 30 lol. Guess I'll have to start posting like a mad woman to get there...I just hope they give us some (cough) STU avatars (cough)
          Darren and Greg are working on adding them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
            Darren and Greg are working on adding them.
            You got yourself a happy little member (bounces around)

Comment

make that two happy members
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

well we don't even know what they look like yet.
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                  Pessimist.

Comment

Pessimist.

sigpic

Comment

Pessimist.

since 1984

Comment

lol don't ruin it for me! As long as they have my Lt. Scott, I don't care..I'll have to put a little faith they won't do me wrong! hehehe

Comment

i've always wondered something:

Why do some threads have "sticky" in front of them? I used to think they were made by the mods, but some just seem to be "whatever" threads and now I'm confused.

Anyone....?
                          sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                          Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                          GateCon Vancouver 2011
                          Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Originally posted by MylittleEli View Post
                            i've always wondered something:

Why do some threads have "sticky" in front of them? I used to think they were made by the mods, but some just seem to be "whatever" threads and now I'm confused.

Anyone....?
                            threads that are deemed important or are reminders to members to not do certain things.

ie the sgu folder

not bring up illegal downloads

looking for a thread before making one.

news article threads so members aren't just posting them all over the forum.

Comment

threads that are deemed important or are reminders to members to not do certain things.

ie the sgu folder

not bring up illegal downloads

looking for a thread before making one.

news article threads so members aren't just posting them all over the forum.
                              thanks... I actually just figured out how to search for that in the faq folder!! I suppose I should have tried that before asking here, but thanks for the info!!
                              sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                              Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                              GateCon Vancouver 2011
                              Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

New rep levels YAY! ! !
                                Not posted on thread yet
                                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                                Sig by The Carpenter
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X