Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

less of a question, more a notification: someone's sending spam email probably through the contact info in people's profiles here in Gateworld, as I got a spam message which is Stargate related.

I assume there's nothing to do about it except remove my contact details, but anyway thought I'd let you guys know.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
      less of a question, more a notification: someone's sending spam email probably through the contact info in people's profiles here in Gateworld, as I got a spam message which is Stargate related.

I assume there's nothing to do about it except remove my contact details, but anyway thought I'd let you guys know.
      you are welcome to forward the email onto any of the Moderators so we can pinpoint where it is coming from. Normally only a member can see how to send you any email through GW and the email should state that *You have a message from *XYZ* from GateWorld
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
        you are welcome to forward the email onto any of the Moderators so we can pinpoint where it is coming from. Normally only a member can see how to send you any email through GW and the email should state that *You have a message from *XYZ* from GateWorld
        I don't believe it's a real email address but I'll forward it anyway if it would help you guys...
        the email wasn't sent through Gateworld though, it was sent by harvesting the contact info in my profile, in this case my msn address which is also a hotmail email address (and is now removed from my profile ), if this makes sense... I'm assuming the information was taken from Gateworld because the title is Stargate related - it's just too much of a coincidence - but not because of any indication it was sent through the forum...
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I don't believe it's a real email address but I'll forward it anyway if it would help you guys...
          the email wasn't sent through Gateworld though, it was sent by harvesting the contact info in my profile, in this case my msn address which is also a hotmail email address (and is now removed from my profile ), if this makes sense... I'm assuming the information was taken from Gateworld because the title is Stargate related - it's just too much of a coincidence - but not because of any indication it was sent through the forum...
          our information is safeguarded to my knowledge so they couldn't have *harvested* it from GW

However Darren or Greg can correct me if I am wrong. But they would have to be ON our server and have passworded privilege to get that information in order to *harvest* as you are implying.
          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
            our information is safeguarded to my knowledge so they couldn't have *harvested* it from GW

However Darren or Greg can correct me if I am wrong. But they would have to be ON our server and have passworded privilege to get that information in order to *harvest* as you are implying.
            Okay then, this might just be a weird coincidence... thanks anyway!
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Is a rep comment stretching my browser a good enough reason to ask a mod to delete said comment? If the answer is yes will you PM me so I can tell you who rep comment I would like deleted?
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                You're welcome ,Sil.

Yep.To be honest ,it isn't just the word used,but the context it's used in,or the personal opinion of the beholder.

Less is more ,if that makes sense.Ideally Darren prefers us all to "keep it PG",so it's generally preferable to find a nicer euphemism in posts .
                Thanks
                Yeah, context has a huge impact. Sometimes a word isn't vulgar until it's used that way....
                "Trash" is generally a good one

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Is a rep comment stretching my browser a good enough reason to ask a mod to delete said comment? If the answer is yes will you PM me so I can tell you who rep comment I would like deleted?
                  yes, that can be sufficient reason
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I just checked my email in the hotmail account I use for GW.. I have one of these messages as well...

Comment

The vB forum software settings allow you to display your contact info on your profile to the public, or to restrict it to only your friends and contacts (or all registered members). You can change the setting here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/profile.php?do=privacy
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I already had it set to registered members and have now changed it to friends only. But it doesn't seem to protect instant messaging icons displayed on posts, MSN at least, Pitry's ICQ address seems to be protected; when I click on the icon I get a privacy message..

Comment

I'm sorry to say this Darren, but that doesn't help. It's not the "real e-mail" address (the one we need to give up when registering) they (whoever they are) are after it's the info provide in the "Instant Messaging" part of "Edit your Details". The info which is then stored behind the icons (i.e. the MSN icon) that are then displayed on every post you make and they are apparently visible to non-registered members, guests. Apparently this is visible to everyone on every post you make regardless of your profile-privacy settings. No? Apparently those settings only apply to tab on your profile and options in "contact information" added over the forum.

I had the same problem as was explained here above, and I moved the message to spam, but new messages kept coming until I removed my MSN messenger address the other day. I did, at the same time (a couple of days earlier), restrict access to my profile and all. However, I tried, as a guest (before and after restricting access), to access my profile page and registered e-mail address, but that doesn't work. You get the "there's been a lot of trafic the last 48 hours" etc. error message. I tried this all out when I was experimenting with the privacy settings.

There definitely must be a problem somewhere there because restricting access to registered users (for everything) didn't help, the messages just kept coming, albeit in the spam folder between all the thousands of other spam mails I receive, but nonetheless, it did stop when I removed the MSN address. I just thought I was the only one having problems and I thought it was possible there was some other explanation, but now that other people collaborated the story it seems more likely.

Anyway, just my .02. Hope it's useful.
                          Last edited by Jper; 08 December 2009, 06:04 PM.
                          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Just playing the devil's advocate here...when i used MSN messenger i got DELUGED with spam and 'see my webcam' invites, until i set my messenger to 'only allow those on my friends list to contact me' (dunno if they still allow that, i haven't logged onto messenger in years)

However, it is my firm belief that MSN and Hotmail sells their member addresses, because I once got an e-mail that i never gave to anyone, never used for any online thing, and i still got spam on it.

I'm not saying that there might not be something else going on, just relaying an experience that I had with MSN Messenger and spam

sigpic

Comment

That does seem to be the case a lot of the time. On my main account most of the emails I get are spam. But I set up a new account just for GW to keep it separate from real life. And up until a week ago I had received no spam at all on that account. I checked with Pitry and Jper and we have all had Stargate related spam from the same email address.

Comment

pm me the e-mail address or the IP that the mail is coming from, maybe we can look and see if it ties into any of the spammers that we smack

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X