This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
    To be honest since Ron Weasley uses it so much in the Harry Potter films I think it's pretty much accepted these days.

Although I am trying to break my 10 year old of the habit of using it - sometimes it is a flippin' great word to use.

Personally I wouldn't mod the above example - but I think it could be left out or another word used without taking away any of the strength of meaning.
    I guess so. I mean even flipping is close to the WORD but Bloody isnt even close or at least to me its not.
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

i gotta say, from the pov of a yank, the 'worst' i'd do to the person that posted that sentence is remind them that 'bloody' is a curse word in the UK world and maybe they'd like to consider finding a new one

to me, i see it on the same level of serious cursing as damn...not a word you teach the kids, but not one that's horrible
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

yep - exactly that.

I'd rather it wasn't used - but I don't get my knickers in a twist over it.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I have a question (and I've searched but can't find the answer).

When a mod edits or deletes a post that violates the GW rules, is the user notified that their post was edited/deleted and why? I'm asking completely hypothetically here, because I was curious how the systems works.
          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

not usually.

A mod will contact the person if the offense or reason for deletion is 'bad' enough for contact. If it's something minor, then the person isn't always contacted

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
              I have a question (and I've searched but can't find the answer).

When a mod edits or deletes a post that violates the GW rules, is the user notified that their post was edited/deleted and why? I'm asking completely hypothetically here, because I was curious how the systems works.
              When an edit occurs there is note at the bottom of the post and sometimes the Moderator will leave a small note there if it is needed. But no *notice* goes out to the Member. They would have to go back and review their posts to see if an edit occurred.

As for deleted post, the post disappears from public view and again no *notice* goes out to the member. A member is welcome to PM any of the Moderators and request information regarding any specific post and provide information such as the thread and approximate date of the post they are searching for.

However, in a Forum this large it is not feasible to notify each and every time the Moderators have to make an editing or deletion decision.
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks, Sky, and Tame for the answers, and for the all work you guys do to make this forum a nice place.
                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Will there be a poll for Vegas?
                  I'd like to give it a 10+ please.
                  Thanks.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                    Will there be a poll for Vegas?
                    I'd like to give it a 10+ please.
                    Thanks.
                    If you mean over on the main site then Yes as soon as Darren gets to it I am sure there will be

He is traveling as we speak and unable to accommodate the site atm
                    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I know you have your rules about when a poster can get custom avatars but I have been here since Nov 2004. I am not a real talkative person and I don't like to spam. Could the idea of posters who have been here for several years and following the rules be considered as a possible reason to get to have my own custom avatar?

I'm not trying to be a problem. I just thought I'd ask.
                      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                      Individuality is freedom lived.
                      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Currently, Darren has it set as a combo of length of membership and number of posts. And both criteria must be met to award the ability for a custom avatar.

I'll leave it to him to answer if he wishes to tweak those criteria or not, but there may be a limit imposed by the software that limits our flexibility

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          Currently, Darren has it set as a combo of length of membership and number of posts. And both criteria must be met to award the ability for a custom avatar.
                          How about the people who have just joined as late as 2008 yet already have a custom avatar? I'm just trying to get this all straight.
                          Last edited by Atlantis1; 03 January 2009, 12:03 PM.
                          "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                          'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                          Individuality is freedom lived.
                          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

I believe post number is more of a factor than length of membership. (ie, going on what I've seen it only influences things by a few posts).
                            I understand, I'm not a hugely prolific poster either, but I don't feel a custom av should make or break your enjoyment of the forum, if you're having fun keep having fun!

Comment

as far as i know, it's number of posts (somewhere around 2000) then duration of membership (a minimum number of months one has to be a member)

I don't think the VB system allows for us to put multiple sets of criteria in place.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know if the mods are most qualified to answer this qs or Darren: how is the number of 'views' of each thread determined: only different IPs count or one user with the same IP visiting the thread at 2 different moments in time is counted twice?
                                Also, only members are counting or the guests are taken into consideration as well...

Comment

Working...
                                X